work lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about some new work lights to move around into rooms when I am doing something in a room like painting.

I have a 300 watt halogen that you can put on the floor or table. And a tripod mount with two 500 watt halogens.

The halogens do get hot. The tripod seems a pain to move around, always banging into something.

I was thinking of getting two of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Designers-Edg..._-100655361-_-N

Sams also has a LED light by Stanley and I think its on a tripod also.

I grow irritated with worklights, shadows, repositioning often, the heat. The cords, overloading circuits, ect

I've started just wearing my Nitecore HC50 headlamp and the light is always where I need it, and can be dialed to insanely bright, revealing details lost with other light sources.

Certainly not a cure all for every situation but for now it is my goto.

I prefer simple clip lights.

Standard socket allows you to choose so many different bulbs and they are very lightweight and adjustable.

I have used mine for anything from Painting a room to Photography.

Affordable and versatile.

Great for over a workbench too, Just pick a bulb you like.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I am thinking about some new work lights to move around into rooms when I am doing something in a room like painting.

I have a 300 watt halogen that you can put on the floor or table. And a tripod mount with two 500 watt halogens.

The halogens do get hot. The tripod seems a pain to move around, always banging into something.

I was thinking of getting two of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Designers-Edg..._-100655361-_-N

Sams also has a LED light by Stanley and I think its on a tripod also.

I'll never pay $60 for a flourescent anything again. Go for the LED.

OK, looks like halogen has about 20 lm/watt. (Middle of range). So to equal a 500 halogen I would need 10,000 lumens from LED.

Does that sound right?

In looking over item descriptions of LED worklights I see one that says brightness of 300W incandescent and 350 lumens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
I got a snap on LED work light from Costco (In Canada). It's super bright and you can knock it around and over and not have to worry about the bulb being damaged.

http://www.amazon.com/Snap-On-Work-Light-LED/dp/B00H5GRL3Q

I wouldn't go back to anything else.

Regards, JC.

Can you tell me how many lumens?

More general question. Does a single LED have a certain number of lumens? So is it linear, if you have 20 LED and 100 lumens that is you have 40 LED its 200 lumens? (That's an example, I am not sure how many lumens 20 LEDs actually
have).

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

Standard socket allows you to choose so many different bulbs and they are very lightweight and adjustable.

I also love these things.

ace-hardware-clamp-lamp-7.jpg

They are really cheap too.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: 123Saab

I also love these things.

ace-hardware-clamp-lamp-7.jpg

They are really cheap too.

But if you are working on painting a room and need a lot of light to see what you are doing and what you have missed you need maybe 1000 watts of halogen light, From a few angles. I have the clamp on reflectors but am looking for something I can place on floor.

But if you are working on painting a room and need a lot of light to see what you are doing and what you have missed you need maybe 1000 watts of halogen light, From a few angles. I have the clamp on reflectors but am looking for something I can place on floor.

True, but for working on a car, those clip on lights are really convenient.

I have one of these on my wishlist:
Power Tech LED worklight

3300 lumens out of 30W. I have no idea what the color temperature or quality is though.

An 2011 post on CPF says:
Quote:
4000lm is enough to replace 500W halogen. Because 500W halogen have 360degree output of light. LED most don't over 140degree. So the effective light is same for both of the two light sources.

You can also find a dual head version.

I hav a couple IR TL10 LED lights that work off their 19.2V batteries (that I have for my impact gun). IR says they are rated at 180 lumens, and they are absolutely wonderful. I can do a ton of things off of one of them, and two from different angles really illuminates a task even outside in the dark.

I have a halogen, it is good for throwing massive light, but it does get hot...

I like LED...

More general question. Does a single LED have a certain number of lumens? So is it linear, if you have 20 LED and 100 lumens that is you have 40 LED its 200 lumens? (That's an example, I am not sure how many lumens 20 LEDs actually
have).

Some single LED lights have 600 lumens. Some single LED lights have 1000 lumens, And some single LED lights have 15 lumens. It depends on the LED used really. Some of the cheaper lights will use a bunch of the cheaper LED's for more light output while the more expensive lights will just use a few top quality LED lights.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

True, but for working on a car, those clip on lights are really convenient.

I Just clamp them on to my toolbox when I need something on the floor.

A 100w flood in it is plenty for my painting needs.

And depending on the bulb they are of course dimmable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back