Which grease for caliper hats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to do brake service while swapping snow tires.

I was wondering if I should continue to use permatex ceramic purple bottle or use moly ep grease like this one, on the caliper hats that slide on the clips.

m.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-moly-extreme-pressure-grease-0280851p.html

I'm going to try ags sil glyde on the pins this time.

What the heck is a caliper hat? Are you talking about the brake pad "ears" that slide in the caliper?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
What the heck is a caliper hat? Are you talking about the brake pad "ears" that slide in the caliper?
confused2.gif

I have the same question. I can see "ears" or "tabs" but not "hat".

I would use something designed for the heat of brakes. Sil-glide is what I use.

The tube of sil-glide seems to be what I pick up when I need a dab of grease on my finger for almost anything.

Yes, use Permatex Purple or SylGlide, not Moly EP grease! Petro lubes will deteriorate rubber boots(around the slider pins) quickly!

Last edited:
confused2.gif

my apologies. I meant brake pad ears.

Originally Posted By: wing0
confused2.gif

my apologies. I meant brake pad ears.

For that, you want anti-seize compound. For caliper pin bolts and bushings, use a silicone paste of some type, like Napa Sil-glyde.

I used to use silglyde with good results now I use Motorcraft silicone grease. But I have noticed the lifespan is directly related to how aggressively I clean the wheels with wheel cleaner and a brush.

Originally Posted By: Donald
confused2.gif

I have the same question. I can see "ears" or "tabs" but not "hat".

I would use something designed for the heat of brakes. Sil-glide is what I use.

The tube of sil-glide seems to be what I pick up when I need a dab of grease on my finger for almost anything.

+1 I use silgylde on all the contact points when I do a brake job. Never had any issues with squeaks and never had any issues with the brakes.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Superlube. Not the cheapest, but one of the best
86400631.jpg

Be aware that Superlube grease is not EPDM compatible.

Sil-glyde can be used in all the contact points?
I thought it's mainly for caliper pins.

We get a lot of road salt and dirt during the winter times so I wanted to get something that have strong staying power.

I've seen brake pads come with this grey-ish grease to be used on the contact points and thought it's moly ep.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Superlube. Not the cheapest, but one of the best
86400631.jpg

Be aware that Superlube grease is not EPDM compatible.

Maybe not, but none of my vehicles have EPDM

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Maybe not, but none of my vehicles have EPDM

That's good. But, others should beware. Lots of rubber car components are made from EPDM, including brake parts: http://www.bullbrakes.com/passenger/Car-Brake-Cylinders.html

WingO, a good grease for exterior, exposed metal to metal parts is Molykote 77, a very high solids paste with over 50% moly.

Yah, I heard about it but it's hard to get up here plus expensive.

So moly ep is a definite no?

What is the paste that akebono or bendix include in their package then?

Last edited:
I just regular clearish silicone grease. Never had a problem with it in all my years as a tech.

CRC Silaramic brake grease, 3M brake grease. Sil-Glyde works for the pins and won't harm the boots. All the Permatex brake greases will attack rubber. I used the Permatex green goop and it swelled the caliper pin bushings so much I had a very hard time getting the pin out. I don't think the purple goop is any better. Permatex makes some very good products but their brake greases that I have used failed miserably.

I have Sil-Glyde for some things, but have never used it for brake applications. It seems too thin for that application, I have been concerned that in its initial state, plus heat, would cause it to run and drip off the parts. Am I way off on this?

I think for the most part, the Sil Glyde is used in the caliper slide pins, a location that doesn't get nearly as hot. I use anti seize on the ears of the pads, I figure the pads to get quite hot. I would also be worried about some lubes running off in the heat.

I just googled, the 3M silicone paste I use on the slide pins are good to 400 F:
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/889069O/3mtm-silicone-paste-clear-08946-8-oz.pdf

The copper anti seize I use is good to 2000 F: http://3mcollision.com/3m-brake-lube-anti-seize-08945-copper.html

I use nickel based anti sieze on all parts of the caliper. Ive tried nearly every type of grease and nothing holds up half as good as the antisieze. Its good for up to 2400 degrees and does not dissolve from water and road salt like grease does. When I buy a new caliper I'll pull the slide pins and wipe all the grease off and apply my antisieze. I've pulled brakes apart that I assembled 3+ years prior and the antisieze was not any drier than when I assembled it. Brake corrosion is a real problem here, lots of road salt in the winter and high humidity year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back