Opinions on Cooper tires for Jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the Cooper M&S tires soon. I see Cooper ATP and A/T3 and H/T and M&S. All appear to have a more aggressive tread (which is what I want) than normal all-season. I plan to run them year round.

The only issue I have with the Cooper M&S is road noise.

I'd like to stay under $100/tire.

Last edited:
I have Cooper ATP on 4 different trucks.
07 4x4 Suburban
04 4x4 Tahoe
99 4x4 Tahoe
99 4x4 F-250
I love them and the price. I buy them when DTD has a great deal going on.

I've always believed that Cooper is a solid line of tires.

I've looked quite a bit at the A/T3s, as I just put tires on my Tahoe. Not an aggressive tire, but certainly a good all-around AT tire.

For the price, and especially with the rebates they offer throughout the year, I believe you are making a good decision.

I have a set of A/T3's. It would be best described as a "mild A/T" tire.

Well behaved on the pavement, good off of the road, and rather quiet.

The H/T is not going to be an off road tire.
The M&S is a winter tire.

I had AT/3's on my jeep last winter and they were great. They handled well in the snow and on wet roads. I didn't find them to be noisy.

I just put Coopers on my 2500HD. I was torn between the AT3 and the ST Maxx.

I ended up with the ST Maxx as I spend a lot of time in the boonies and wanted the 3 ply sidewall and more aggressive tread.

I'm amazed at how quiet the ST Maxx is and how it handles on road as well as off road.

I had the A/T3 on a Tacoma and the S/T on a Chevy K30. All performed well.

The A/TW is brand new, and I like the looks of them. That would be my choice to combat New York snow, with the others I mentioned as backup choices.

As was pointed out, the M+S is a studdable snow tire. Not a tire you want to run year around, though I see that it appears that you have already been doing so. I have a set on my F150 and my opinion of them is meh... Relatively noisy, and just an OK snow tire (which is still better than an all season tire in the snow). Mine were also made in China if that matters (didn't know that until after they were installed).

The ATP is a good tire - discount tire only tread pattern. That is my rest of the year set of tires on my F150 and I like them. Good looking, not too bad on noise, nice traction including in the snow. We'll see on treadlife, but it was tough to beat the price.

The A/TW intrigues me.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
As was pointed out, the M+S is a studdable snow tire. Not a tire you want to run year around, though I see that it appears that you have already been doing so. I have a set on my F150 and my opinion of them is meh... Relatively noisy, and just an OK snow tire (which is still better than an all season tire in the snow). Mine were also made in China if that matters (didn't know that until after they were installed).

The ATP is a good tire - discount tire only tread pattern. That is my rest of the year set of tires on my F150 and I like them. Good looking, not too bad on noise, nice traction including in the snow. We'll see on treadlife, but it was tough to beat the price.

The A/TW intrigues me.

I guess the "M" part of the "M&S" told me it was for mud which can be in winter or summer. I see this was an incorrect assumption. However I tend to run my pickup more in the summer and the Jeep more in the winter.

But I will get a tire for all year when I get new ones.

"Cooper Discoverer M+S®" is a trademarked name for the line of "premium studdable winter SUV/light truck tires."

M+S on any other tire means it meets certain geometric requirements from the Rubber Manufacturer's Association. Not that it will actually pull you out of trouble in mud or snow.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/tire3.htm

I had a set of A/T3s on my previous Jeep. They were great, but did have a "noise". It wasn't horrible, but they were more noisy than Silent Armors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back