OCI, how hard was it to extend from 3K miles to..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Not tough at all. Been using synth for 30 years.

Use synth in both vehicles and push them both to the max oci. Check oil level every 1k and top off as needed.

Kind of where my thoughts were leading me.

Originally Posted By: wemay

How difficult was it for you to go from 3k or 5k miles in the past, to 7K plus?

edit: I'll spare the long boring post. Short answer: Difficult at first, then easier after UOAs. Worked up from cheapest dino I could find and 2500 mile OCI, to good quality dino and factory severe interval, to as high as 12k OCI with Amsoil.

I have read a owners manual for a 58 Chrysler and the recommended OCI was 6K. I had no problems extending my OCI's soon after becoming a member on this site.

Yeah it was a little hard. I used to always get the itch to change it (still do a bit) but I'm 4k into my current oil change and am trying to go 10k on this change. My car has always done 10-12k oil changes when it was my aunt's car.

I've been interested in machines since I could walk [the 1960's] so I've been reading about all aspects of how things work for 50 years. During this time I would pick up a little information about lubrication, it would stick in my mind. I eventually came to the conclusion that engine oil did not have to be changed so often. The rest of my car wore out before the engine any ways. For the last 20 years I change oil in the late fall and early spring because twice a year is enough and I don't want to change oil on my back in the snow so I avoid those months. OCI is around 9,000 miles on average. Never let me down.

2 years ago I sent in a couple used oil samples just for fun. The results were fine. What do people think is going to happen if they slightly exceed the life of the oil? It's not going to blow up. Maybe for the last 1,000 miles the engine will wear twice as fast. Not a problem.

Originally Posted By: wtd
I found it very hard to go from 3,000 to 5,000 mile intervals. I'm finding it even harder to go by the OLM in my 14 Mustang GT. I'm currently at 5,900 miles on this oil change and that is the longest I've ever gone in any vehicle. The only thing making me able to accept it is that the oil is still pretty clear.

Wayne

I have a 2013 Mustang GT and I also find it quite difficult to go over 5,000 miles. The last time I changed mine the OlM was saying the oil was still at around 70% but I just can't seem to let it go longer. I stay around 5,000 miles on this car although some have said that the OLM on the GT anyway can reach zero % meaning change oil at up to 10,000 miles.

In 1978 I changed to M1 and went from 3K to 10K OCIs. In 78 10K OCIs were unheard of, but has worked very well for me the last 36 years.

I've been changing the oil in my most often used vehicles twice a year (spring and fall) for 20+ years. Sometimes that's around 5,000 miles, other times it's well over 7,000 miles.

I've never used a synthetic; I've always used whatever brand name conventional is on sale when I'm ready to change the oil. And I've never had an oil/engine wear related issue.

With the advances in lubrication technology before WWI the first extended interval was clear up to 1000 miles. Still many old timers stuck to 250-500 mile intervals. The process included draining off the dirty oil and topping off the oil up to the level of the upper try cock. In those days not all the oil was dirty at the same time. With non-detergent oils the crud would settle to the bottom of the pan which was frequently removed for cleaning. Often an oil change also meant removing the head(s) and de-coking the piston tops and combustion chambers and hammering any bent valve heads back to level and replacing the spark plugs making sure to use new copper gaskets. The head(s) would be carefully checked with a straight edge and any high spots especially around bolt holes would be carefully filed flat. The studs in the cylinder block(s) would often be removed to file the surrounding area flat, all this to ensure a good seal between the head(s) and the block(s).

If you would have told a mechanic in 1915 that your oil change interval was 3000 miles he would have laughed at you. Imagine what he'd think about a 10000 mile interval?

Right now my OLM is at 53% and I'm gonna try to make 'til June 2015. This'll be the first time I've ever gone one full year, but I've got full synthetic in there.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Right now my OLM is at 53% and I'm gonna try to make 'til June 2015. This'll be the first time I've ever gone one full year, but I've got full synthetic in there.

I can honestly say I'm proud of your merc. I know that even a minor change is tough for SN old dog.

Good for you for getting into this century.

Not an issue at all. I do 10000 kilometer changes with my cars, which is what 6200 miles? Have done for years and never had a problem. Personally, the less time I spend working on cars, the better, but I understand it's therapeutic for many!

The 3K change mantra was the accepted wisdom when I started driving in the '70s, and oil and filters not only seemed cheap, they were cheap (I could do a 5-qt. oil and filter change on the '75 Maverick for less than 5 bucks). But I drove that Maverick at least once a month on a 250-mile round trip at highway speeds, so even then, I figured, 5K was not unreasonable.

My '65 Mercury Park Lane was even older with the big Thunderbird engine, so I stuck with 3K, and continued it even up until my third Mercedes, the 4-cylinder C230. It was during my ownership of that car that I joined BITOG and was convinced to try a little longer (4000 miles), then a little longer (4500 miles).

Then with the Big Buick Park Avenue, 4500 miles/6 months on semi-syn oil was no trouble at all.

The Buick Regal has a DI engine, so I'm being cautious and will use synthetic for a 4500-mile, 5-month interval.

When I first visited here about ten years ago, I did 3K drains on conventional and 4K on syn, mainly M1.
After some reading here, I quickly learned that I must be a dummy and extended drains to 5-7K on syn.
I've run as long as 8700 miles on the '12 Accord, after learning that the MM allows for enough operating variables to be trusted.
It's just a matter of learning what you didn't know.
Changing oil before it's used up does nothing to help the engine.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
When I first visited here about ten years ago, I did 3K drains on conventional and 4K on syn, mainly M1.
After some reading here, I quickly learned that I must be a dummy and extended drains to 5-7K on syn.
I've run as long as 8700 miles on the '12 Accord, after learning that the MM allows for enough operating variables to be trusted.
It's just a matter of learning what you didn't know.
Changing oil before it's used up does nothing to help the engine.

Changing oil begins it's used up does nothing to help the engine

That should be a banner on bitog's homepage.

Since 1999 I've been doing a 10k OCI in every car, until last year when my new car demanded a 6k OCI, I kept with the services just to keep up with the warranty, but in my mind there was always a feeling that it was a short interval.

I was preparing to keep up with that, thinking that the manufacturer knows best, until last week when I was struck with the worst flu of my life, and the car just rolled over the 6k mark. It was in that moment that I saw the light and all the doubts went away and I became a born-again 10k OCI guy!! I expect the 10k miles come in late March-early April, much better climate to change the oil.

next oil change maybe I will go for 12k.

Interesting. I have a Ford F150 and have taken oil samples at each and every oil change. The IOLM is my guide and 10,000 miles is proving to be just fine over nearly 70,000 miles.

The interesting part of this thread is that nobody says they change spark plugs at 12,000 miles. The same logic for 3,000 mile oil changes should dictate a 12,000 mile spark plug interval.

Bottom line: follow the manufacturer's recommendations and worry about world peace, the National Debt, toenail fungus, anything else.

Originally Posted By: AITG
Interesting. I have a Ford F150 and have taken oil samples at each and every oil change. The IOLM is my guide and 10,000 miles is proving to be just fine over nearly 70,000 miles.

The interesting part of this thread is that nobody says they change spark plugs at 12,000 miles. The same logic for 3,000 mile oil changes should dictate a 12,000 mile spark plug interval.

Bottom line: follow the manufacturer's recommendations and worry about world peace, the National Debt, toenail fungus, anything else.

Yep.

Newer more powerful engines using today's new high tech lubricants running long intervals,yet we've got some new guy here balking at the idea of an oci over 3000 miles on a first gen 5.3 LS engine.
Hilarious.

I was never a long interval guy. I used to use cheap motocraft oil and change it when the oil turned black,or when it got to be a nice enough day for me to drag myself under my truck.
I had 2 dodge trucks,both with 318s. An 89 and a 96. I got them from my dad who thinks maintenance is a swear word yet they both ran great at 450k.
I didn't start doing 10000 mile intervals until I bought my 99 silverado. It's when I started using Amsoil.
That truck has over 280k on it now,I got it at 50k. Internals are spotless. Trucks runs like a dream. The past 130k I used whatever syn was on sale.
I'm not saying all engines can run longer intervals. Operating conditions play a big part as well as the engine type but let's get real here. The 3000 mile interval is only perpetuated by those with a vested interest in doing your oil change.
Dumping serviceable oil just to pour in serviceable oil is the epitome of stupid.

For many years our now retired Buick Rainier and Chevy Trailblazer before it would tell us to change the oil at ~11k miles, which I did. No anxiety. We put about 15k a year on them since they drive about 20 miles one direction to get us to work.

My new job has me driving about 48k miles/yr and the OLM in the Buick was pushing the mileage to around 17k miles. If I still had it I would have loved to go that far and do a UOA, just to see. That I6 humming at 2,000 rpm for hours at a time with a 7qt sump was about as easy as it gets on oil.

I just couldn't stand the 22mpg with me in a mostly empty 2.5 ton SUV. My '12 Accord at 33mpg makes me much happier as it should save me over $2,000/yr in fuel alone. Right now I'm at 80% OLM with 2,000 miles so we'll see how the Honda does. I have full faith in their math and my driving. I'll probably be like tig and do 10k and be done with it.

Last edited:
I can't figure out how this 3,000 mile OCI got going. I don't think any major manufacturer suggested this interval since 1960.
The only explanation is strong marketing/advertising by the oil industry to get you to consume more product needlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back