Anyone from Buffalo? 6' of snow....really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finding it hard to believe that Buffalo got 6 feet of snow. Yes, I know the area is notorious for lake effects snow, but this sounds unmanageable and stretches credulity.

[censored], the snow average for our largest city is 72" (Portland, Maine) and that's for the entire winter.

So Buffaloites, how do you survive this type of thing?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/18/us/cold-temps/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I just talked to my daughter in the Rochester area (which is near Buffalo) and they only have an inch or two....

Lived 30 years in Buffalo.

Best thing I ever did was move to Texas.

Family and friends are still in Buffalo.

A friend of mine reported 6 or 7 feet of snow.

It just becomes insanity, I got sick of it two years ago and drove south as fast as I could.

I have friends who are literally buried inside their homes.

Meanwhile, a few miles North, I got not a single flake.

We have a unique situation here where the long and relatively narrow Lake Erie produces long and narrow snow bands, which cause some extremely concentrated snow over a narrow area. 4+ inches PER HOUR is not out of the question, and this storm has been parked right where it is for 18 or so hours.

Now in a few more days we're going to have temps back into the 50s. All of this is going to melt. That's when the REAL nightmare starts.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
I'm finding it hard to believe that Buffalo got 6 feet of snow. Yes, I know the area is notorious for lake effects snow, but this sounds unmanageable and stretches credulity.

Well, Buffalo proper DIDN'T get much snow at all, they're actually playing an NHL hockey game there between the Sabres and Sharks. If you can see it, you'll notice the empty stands...

Unimaginable, see the thread I posted in (Cold Here)...

Three miles difference can mean you have over 50 inches of snow or under 5 inches of snow, the Buffalo Airport in Cheektowaga is running completely normally, whereas the I90 Thruway is shutdown between Rochester and the Pennsylvania state line...

Quote:
[censored], the snow average for our largest city is 72" (Portland, Maine) and that's for the entire winter.

So Buffaloites, how do you survive this type of thing?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/18/us/cold-temps/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

It's Buffalonians actually. It's a huge storm and will go down in the books, but it's not unprecedented. We had similar Lake Effect snowbands that refused to move in 2000-2001.

One stays indoors and rides it out, then waits for the plows to clear it out of the streets a bit and things gradually open up. The real problem for many maybe early next week when temps go back up to near 60F and melting could result in flooding...

College friends of mine posted pictures from earlier this afternoon. Guy is 6'1", the snow is up to his armpit, so probably about 5.5' or so. That was when it was daylight out. I'd believe over 6' in some areas, having skied 8-10" of fresh snow from overnight snowfall. The snow was falling for 3-4" per hour for hours on end during this event. And, round two gears up tomorrow!

Last edited:
Yup I'm in the thick of it. There has to be 6 feet as it's over my head out there (I'm 5'10") when I'm trudging back to clear out the furnace exhaust. And as was mentioned most of the city of Buffalo barely saw any snow... it's all south of the city and east. We have had this much snow before, however that one back in 2001ish time took several days, and this one dumped out 6 feet in less than 24 hours. And to be honest it's still snowing and not finished so who knows what it will end up at. Backhoe from the town highway dept. is digging out my street right now, and has been for a couple hours already. Nothing is going quick.

I used to live in Orchard Park and work in Buffalo. It really is a snow machine and very peculiar. It doesn't snow much in Buffalo when compared to other areas a little south. I could wake up to 2-3 feet of snow in Orchard Park and drive 10 miles north to Buffalo and there is barely a dusting. Sorry I missed this one.

Yes, Living in the section of Buffalo that got 4 feet of snow with a potential 2 feet more on the way. They will have to use pay loaders to get rid of the snow in the street, plows won't do it. Yet, 2 miles away, there is no snow. That said, warm weather next week will melt most of it.

We get a freak snow storm about every 10-15 years. This is one of the safest areas in the country to live with no earthquakes, tornado's, floods or hurricanes.

When I lived in golden we were working on the top of dogtooth mountain. The restaurant is called the eagle eye.
Anyway we got pounded and stranded up there for a few days because of a pounding. Had to be 7 feet by the time it finished.
Here a few feet locks down the city.

Right! We didn't get much snow in Rochester but, it was as cold as 19 deg's F yesterday and very icey. Our friends/family in Buffalo said that they too were buried in their homes but, it varies to where they're located.

Holy...wow....

First the Bills...then the Sabres.....and now 6 feet of snow.....what a kick in the slats
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Yes, Living in the section of Buffalo that got 4 feet of snow with a potential 2 feet more on the way. They will have to use pay loaders to get rid of the snow in the street, plows won't do it. Yet, 2 miles away, there is no snow. That said, warm weather next week will melt most of it.

We get a freak snow storm about every 10-15 years. This is one of the safest areas in the country to live with no earthquakes, tornado's, floods or hurricanes.

Safest? Freak snow? I don't know about that.

Crime rates are higher than the national average.

Unemployment and blight is rampant. So is government corruption in Buffalo.

I've spent a fair amount of time in that area.....and massive amounts of snow are not "freak". I'm actually surprised the suicide rate isn't even higher. It was one of the most depressing places I've ever spent time in. No wonder the bars are always full.

The southern tier area is at least within a short distance away and has some attractive qualities to it.....but even that area is economically depressed when compared to other areas of the U.S.

Good points? Yes...no major earthquakes. They DO have floods however, when the snow melts. Severe ones at times.

Sorry....but Buffalo was not good to me.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

I've spent a fair amount of time in that area.....and massive amounts of snow are not "freak". I'm actually surprised the suicide rate isn't even higher. It was one of the most depressing places I've ever spent time in. No wonder the bars are always full.

The southern tier area is at least within a short distance away and has some attractive qualities to it.....but even that area is economically depressed when compared to other areas of the U.S.

Good points? Yes...no major earthquakes. They DO have floods however, when the snow melts. Severe ones at times.

My bad, safest in terms of natural disaster. So far one Commercial building with a flat roof had a roof collapse.

Living here 66 years and we are not intimidated by large snow falls. Anything under a foot we call a dusting. The freak ones which we have now do upset us. Had 4 feet in 24 hours got two more overnight, with 2 more feet on the way. So far 6 feet with a potential of 8 feet. The last freak storm was 13 years ago in 2001.

Flooding potential will be localized maybe affecting a few homes by some creeks NOT a large area under water.

Yes, you do make many valid points about Buffalo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg

My bad, safest in terms of natural disaster. So far one Commercial building with a flat roof had a roof collapse.

Living here 66 years and we are not intimidated by large snow falls. Anything under a foot we call a dusting. The freak ones which we have now do upset us. Had 4 feet in 24 hours got two more overnight, with 2 more feet on the way. So far 6 feet with a potential of 8 feet. The last freak storm was 13 years ago in 2001.

Flooding potential will be localized maybe affecting a few homes by some creeks NOT a large area under water.

Yes, you do make many valid points about Buffalo.

I appreciate the reply. I was a tad harsh about the city. I really have not enjoyed much of that place, the few times I have visited family.

No, not much in the way of natural disasters going on. The lightening strikes and wind can get pretty bad though.

You guys are truly used to the snow, like a few other U.S. cities. My issue wasn't just the snow though. It had to do with the freezing cold...the road salt....and the melt-off times when the roads are a slushy, horrid mess of grey slime when the weather warms. Then it does it all over again. Just not fun for me.

The floods I witnessed were pretty far south of Buffalo. Overflowing rivers ruining bridges and roads. I was told by the locals that it happens about once or twice a year. Cattaraugus Creek and the Gowanda area particularly. It made for great difficulty getting around the rural areas. Not a big problem in the city though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH

It just becomes insanity, I got sick of it two years ago and drove south as fast as I could.

Except, arguably, you went from one insanity, huge snowfalls, to another one, blistering Texas heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back