So cold my ice froze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well on my long weekend hunting trip in southern Michigan the ice in my cooler froze! No joke, I had put a bag of ice in cubes like you buy at the gas station over my pop and food etc. just like I usually do .
Cooler was inside my Escape overnight and when I tried to get a pop out next day I had a solid block in the cooler. It took a few hours inside the camper and a lot of chopping to get anything out. 25 years of hunting this wek in November and never had that happen!

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
That is cold.
I wish I never heard of the term Polar Vortex.

At the North Pole, I heard they put their food in the refrigerator to keep it warm.

Thus the sales pitch required to sell ice boxes to Eskimos.

Our instrument air dryers at Craig Generating Station were certified for -40 F. In January or February of 1985, the temperature dropped to -51F. Despite heat tracing, the instrument air lines to Unit 1 and 2 fan rooms froze up and we dumped 800 + megawatts on the grid.I recall that we were down over a week while our maintenance crews worked overtime to get us back on line. It takes a lot of time and effort to make repairs when it is that cold.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
At the North Pole, I heard they put their food in the refrigerator to keep it warm.

As an aside, they do have outdoor pop vending machines in this province that function perfectly well in -40, and no, the pop is neither frozen nor exploded.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
when I tried to get a pop out next day I had a solid block in the cooler.

Your first mistake was drinking that garbage in the first place. Mother Nature was trying to send you a message.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Your first mistake was drinking that garbage in the first place. Mother Nature was trying to send you a message.

Lol...one of my very few vices in life is drinking pop. Not much anymore, as it makes me feel like poop after drinking it. Slowly pushing it out with lemon flavored water (real lemons) and home brewed ice tea...

Kinda made my chuckle because a pop can blew up in my face after opening...decided that was enough...

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I keep the beer in the fridge so it doesn't freeze ....

Might have to stick it in the oven at the rate we are going...

Well maybe your right. I should go back to drinking the 12-15 beers a day I did for about 20 years. I don't see a problem with a few diet Pepsi's and maybe a few cigars on my annual hunting trips. We can't all be perfect.

Well maybe your right. I should go back to drinking the 12-15 beers a day I did for about 20 years. I don't see a problem with a few diet Pepsi's and maybe a few cigars on my annual hunting trips. We can't all be perfect.

Yep. Leave to ole pop to judge and comment. I cannot recall a single post ever from him that isn't in some way judgemental,holier than though,or derogatory.
I think it's over compensation based on inadequacy in his daily life. No one listens to him in his real life so he comes here shouting from the mountain tops.
He's the only one who doesn't see what he is,and that's both funny and sad.

Reminds me of the advice once dispensed

'God gave man two ears and one mouth, and they should be used in that proportion."

Last edited:
I was born and raised in Florida. When I was 19 years old, I moved to Nebraska to go to college. That was the year I saw snow for the very first time in my life. One of my lasting memories is one very cold Nebraska day, I stopped off at a gas station, filled up with gas, went inside and grabbed a coke out of the cooler. I held the bottle in my hand thinking, "they must have just stocked the cooler because this thing feels warm." Then it dawned on me, it's 10 below zero outside and the inside of the cooler is probably 40 degrees and therefore 50 degrees warmer, hence the reason it felt "warm."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back