Anyone cut open an Amsoil EaO filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If so, please post the pics. I'm considering buying them, but not until I see it from the inside
smile.gif

Filter options are limited in Canada.. and no way I'm putting the A02 on my 06 CRV.

no one? I googled, searched forums, can't find one picture of these filters cut open. Must be a conspiracy by those amsoil iiluminati dealers
smile.gif

btw, I use amsoil 5w20 in my 06 crv with a CQ (old wix filter) filter at the moment. I'm either going to:

1. Buy A01 filtechs from h and a (get a friend to ship them to me from the good ol' usa). At $25 USD (about $29 Canadian currency) for 6, that's decent pricing for us Canadians for a good filter. The dealer wants $9 a filter for the A02, no further comment needed on the A02.

2. Use EaO filters. But I have yet to see one from the inside, and at $16 each? I think Amsoil could have priced them lower then that.. much much too high. I bought their SDF series religiously for 5 years. Or at the very least, provide a filter for us severe service DIY'ers in Canada who will only go 8K-10k KM (5-6K miles) per change.

I would love nothing more then to order a new/quality Wix filter from Amsoil at the same time as I order my oil, but they won't even offer it cause the EaO13 exists for my car. I think that's pretty silly marketing. They are two different products at very different prices.

I like the CQ Wix, but it's not the same Wix filters available south of the border, and are pretty much the same price I can get the A01's for.

Anyway, that's my ramble for today. Any suggestion? Any pics of that infamous EaO Nano Fiber super duper filter media that has revolutionized the oil filter industry around the globe? I'm being a smart a$$ because at $16 each, it has to be that good, no?

Maybe I'll just wait till I visit Denver next month and fill my suitcase with quality filters at a fair price
smile.gif

I have an EaO13 in my Honda Odyssey right now, I just spun it on this past weekend.

Why wait for others to post pics? Just give it a shot. I paid a bit more than $ 16 so yes it was on the pricey side, but oh well.

When I am through this run I will do a UOA,,,, I'm sure by then someone will have put up pics.

BTW: The thread could have been abit better, a little bit of wobble in the spin on, but I'm not gonna post a whole sad story about it, just an fyi for you.

Looks the exact same as my SDF36 I cut open a couple of weeks back. Same spring and structure..The media was darkened by the old oil and 8K oci, but the pleat count looks the same. I assume the media is oh-so-much better in the EaO than the SDF?

Thank you very much! Looks like a beautiful filter I must say
smile.gif

It's about 3-5 bucks more then any other half decent filter available in Canada, which would cost me about $6 - $10 extra per year. However, double the cost of the A01, which I *can't* get directly cause it's USA only. Honda won't export it and no dealer will export to Canada either. But I can pick some up when in Denver next month.

For 5k mile OCI's, I assume the EaO would be overkill? How much better can I expect the EaO to perform with this OCI when compared to the A01? Is the flow that much better in the EaO?

thanks again!

Mike:

Looking at the center tube--do my eyes deceive me-- do the holes ( slots) in the center tube not extend from top to bottom of the element?

It looks like the center tube is "solid" towards the top and bottom and only the very middle has holes....is this correct?

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:
Mike:

Looking at the center tube--do my eyes deceive me-- do the holes ( slots) in the center tube not extend from top to bottom of the element?

It looks like the center tube is "solid" towards the top and bottom and only the very middle has holes....is this correct?

Probably a manufacturing consideration and not an oil flow concern...the oil will flow between the pleats and down the spiral groove in the center tube.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:

quote:

Mike:

Probably a manufacturing consideration and not an oil flow concern...the oil will flow between the pleats and down the spiral groove in the center tube.

Ken

That would be my take on it too. If you add up the inlet holes on the base plate you don't get much in terms of total area ..there's not much need for the center tube outlet to have all that much either.

I would have to say that this is not just some rebadged common filter. I don't know how it compares on a cost/benefit basis with lesser filters ..but this is surely a cut above "good".

quote:

Mike:

No, what you see is the 3/8" (+-) seam. The tube spirals bottom to top. If you look close you can see an opening at the top edge of cut-open.

I have no idea who makes this filter (EaO15) model but all indictions its made in the USA. The EaO filters are made by various mfg.'s and the components are also from various mfg's. Im other words, the assembler of the filter made not be the source of any or all of its components.

If you want one of these demo's it will cost you $35 (from Amsoil).

[ June 30, 2006, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Media looks to be the same as the Donaldson and fleetguard stratopore media. I cut both of those apart and they looked like this except for center tube being constructed a bit different.

If you work at it, the media will actually sepearte into three different layers.

Dan

Oil takes the least resistance to flow.

So the media where the "solid" center tube area is will see "less action". True the oil will go through the media and gravitate to the open outlet slot area and pass through.

Much like the old days with round air filters on top of carburetors. The dirtiest portion would always be where the inlet sent the air. As you left the filter on---- the "dirt" would spread towards the back of the air filter. Even though the entire element filtered the air. Anyone who had changed one will remember.

Mike--sounds like you bough a cut-a-way demo filter for show and tell.

That's why i asked about the solid looking area in the center tube the picture doesn't show it clearly enough.

Most top end ( high priced) filters use spiral lock cores. Just don't remember one being that "wide" at the seam. But then again I don't go to the parts store to check all the brands of filters out..lol

4-in----->
3-1/2-in the udder way

I had a center tube from a SDF (Hasting mfg.) and this tube is thicked IMO.

If you use a power tool (Dremel etc) it will foul up the media with grit and look bad (black stains). Been there and done that. Also, don't cut yourself.

-

[ June 30, 2006, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

All the Donaldson filters I've seen of late with the media like Amsoil's are made in Mexico as written on the can. Amsoil has apparently agreed with their suppliers not to tell who makes what for them on their filters. Also, I understand that they will not publish comparison test results naming other filter brands and part numbers specifically as they have in the past. I think from my reading that the EaO line is probably one of the best out there, but is priced higher also. For this reason, it may not be the best choice for shorter, say 5000 mile intervals, unless you have the notion to leave it on there for 15k miles or one year and change the oil filter every 3rd oil change. One thing I did notice that made me think it flows better than the SDF series is when pre-filling on some apps, the oil flows in and through the media faster on the EaO, allowing me to fill it up with oil more quickly.

Champ makes heavy duty filters for Donaldson And they were my account for a year or so.

That is not a Champ spiral lock core. Champ makes theirs in-house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back