Service Pro Global Full Synthetic Atf for Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughters car is a 2006 Civic w/ 123K miles. I took it to a trusted shop to perform an A13 service, After discussing the various methods of servicing the transmission (including Honda's recommended method and using their ATF), I decided to allow the shop to go ahead and drain & fill using their product on hand in which they're very confident with (approx 3 qts). Unfortunately there's not much info out there regarding the products they use on a regular basis (Service Pro Premium Global Full Synthetic Multi- Vehicle ATF). Apparently Service Pro is processed by Warren Oil which is in the business of private labeling many products. I own 3 Hondas that have been serviced using the Service Pro oil, but this is the first time using their ATF (Applicable to use as a -Z1 or -DW1 replacement).

Does anyone know anything about Service Pro ATF? So far, I haven't had any issues and they haven't encountered any problems using Service Pro products. The civic has been driven about 50 miles since its been serviced with about 3 quarts in a 7 qt system. It should be noted that this car was serviced previously by a Honda dealer the last time the maintenance minder indicated a transmission service was required (about 1-1/2 yrs ago).
So my question really is, did I make a huge mistake? Should I drain & fill 3 times using Honda's ATF-DW1 to get rid of the 3 qts of Service Pro that was installed?
What's so special about using Honda ATF?
I wish I knew the properties of Honda's ATF so I could make an informed decision. Too may forum predators are quick to say Honda is only ATF that should be used, but who makes Honda's ATF? Honda doesn't.

Last edited:
Welcome alsdock!
welcome2.gif

I understand your concern. Honda uses a very different
automatic transmission design compared to all other units out there. Honda requires the use of additional special
friction modifiers that are NOT in regular Dexron III since
about the early 90s. Before then Honda said that Dexron III was fine to use.

Idemitsu makes most of Honda ATF and has for decades now.
It is in fact a proprietary formula that Honda requests from the
producer.

You SHOULD have NO issue using an aftermarket ATF as long as it is a fluid made by a reputable company and specifically states
in writing on the bottle that it is designed to be used in
Honda Z-1 applications. IF THE PRODUCT DOESN'T STATE THIS ON THE BOTTLE ITSELF YOU SHOULD NOT USE IT!

Warren is a reputable company, but does the product state that
the ATF is designed for Z-1 applications right on the bottle?
I would think it would.

Another product that clearly states it is compatible with
Honda Z-1 and the new DW-1 is Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF.

Thank you for the info. From what I understand, Service Pro is distributed to independent companies and is not available for retail merchandising. It is a member of the Association of Independent Oil Distributors (AIOD). They focus more on commercial fleets. I know the shop I use dispenses the product from drums (economics I'm sure).
The data sheet is available on the web which identifies many ATF's that states, "...is suitable for use in the following applications:" and lists Honda/Acura ATF-Z1, DW-1 (except in CVTs) among many, many others..
The data also lists "Typical Properties" and identifies 9 items such as Viscosity Index, Color, API Gravity, Viscosity values at 40°C & -40°C , etc..
Your right. I'm sure it should be fine providing the transmission has no underlying issues. Do you know if Honda ATF-Z1 properties are published so I can make a reasonable comparison?
I guess it's just a level of comfort I'm seeking.

smile.gif
Well, I believe that you'll be just fine since the data that you searched for on the web clearly states that the Service Pro Global Syn ATF is suitable for use in Honda/Acura ATF, Z1 & DW-1 specifically...and others as well! Most multi-vehicle ATF state the same thing.

All of the other 9 items(typical properties) that you mention are similar to other ATF information that one could also look up on the web for other brands of ATF. They're not hiding anything and this is good!
smile.gif

Last edited:
DW-1 and ATF-Z1 are proprietary specifications so the guidelines and performance requirements are not public info.

OTOH, GM/Ford/Chrysler have licensing programs for their fluids, so the approved aftermarket versions are a very safe bet. In those situations, just look for the license number on the back label of the bottle.

So any generic multi-vehicle fluid that claims Honda compatibility is relying on their additive suppliers testing. The additive supplier will have tested the Honda fluid and based on their results, will supposedly build an additive pack (when blended with the correct base oils) that should produce a compatible result in the recommended applications.

Do you trust them? Well, I don't....

I have used maxlife and other non-dealer fluids in Hondas for a long time with no problems. So if it says it meets Honda spec it should be fine.

Not personally familiar with the Service Pro Full Synthetic ATF, but more on that later.

I do know a little something about Z1, having used it for ~165k mi on a 01 Civic until superseded and newer 3.0L Accord also until superseded. Z1 was one of the most criticized ATF products used on this board. Also it has been shown to shear quickly. So in answer to your question, imo Z1 was nothing special.

I've since used MaxLife for more than 60k miles total between the vehicles mentioned with no issues and no complaints. And it's been a great value and very cost effective. And all I've ever done is single (~3qt.) d&f's at 25-30k intervals.

As for the Service Pro Full Synthetic ATF, based on the spec sheet I found by googling and my experience with ML, as long as it's shifting well, I'd be ok with the product for a reasonable interval. Warren Dist products are fairly well respected. All that said, if you're still not convinced, I'd only do a single d&f with the ATF of your choice. I wouldn't go to the triple d&f extreme. My .02

Duly noted. I'm not too worried because for as long as I've owned this car (approx 60k miles), maintenance has been performed as recommended by the maint minder and by issues that typically arise (battery, brakes, etc).
Perhaps when the weather lets up and I feel ambitious, I might check the dipstick and decide then to either do a d&f. Question is, do I perform this task once, twice or three times?

My thought being to replenish whatever properties are contained in the DW-1 or to change whatever negative effects of introducing the Service Pro compound may have on the system. If anything, the system within the transmission will be "cleaned & purified" thoroughly.

OTOH, with 123K on the vehicle, I'm concerned that multiple d&f tasks in close intervals could possibly dislodge accumulated contaminants and cause some real headaches. Maybe taking the "don't fix it if it aint broke" approach has some merit.

Last edited:
Warren Oil Company
http://www.warrenoil.com/
Probably makes OK stuff. Buys base oil in tank cars or tank trucks, buys additive packages from the chemical companies that make it...Infineum, Lubrizol, Afton, ChevronOronite...stirs it all up, puts it into little bottles. Not too difficult.

Note that this is a completely different company from the Warren Distribution that makes the SuperTech for Walmart and Mag1, along with other products.

I remember all the folks on a Nissan Forum telling me I was going to grenade my Nissan transmission if I didn't use the Matic J ATF "specifically" made for Nissans because the owner's manual said so. I did a poor man's flush and replaced it with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, which claimed it met the current Nissan "matic" standards. Car ran like a top after doing it with no problems and was still shifting nice and smooth 40k miles later when I sold the car and bought my Sierra.

Actually I was able to find general specifications of the
Honda Z-1 PDS online at one time, although it might have been
for the Idemitsu Z-1, but considering that Idemitsu is Honda's
primary ATF fluid provider it was likely very close. I will try and see if I can find that sheet again.

I think the biggest thing to remember if you are going with
after market fluid is to make sure it is a well known, reputable company with a reputation to protect, and that the fluid specifically states it is designed to meet the Z-1 and or DW-1 specs.

Valvoline MaxLife does NOT say it meets DW-1 specs,
although it DOES meet Z-1 specs.

Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF meets BOTH DW-1 and Z-1 specs, I would go with that fluid because it is one of the few after market ATFs that meet the DW-1 spec which is the latest spec for Honda and Acura. It is also a dino based fluid which is what Honda specced for vehicles until present.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Welcome alsdock!
welcome2.gif

I understand your concern. Honda uses a very different
automatic transmission design compared to all other units out there. Honda requires the use of additional special
friction modifiers that are NOT in regular Dexron III since
about the early 90s. Before then Honda said that Dexron III was fine to use.

Idemitsu makes most of Honda ATF and has for decades now.
It is in fact a proprietary formula that Honda requests from the
producer.

You SHOULD have NO issue using an aftermarket ATF as long as it is a fluid made by a reputable company and specifically states
in writing on the bottle that it is designed to be used in
Honda Z-1 applications. IF THE PRODUCT DOESN'T STATE THIS ON THE BOTTLE ITSELF YOU SHOULD NOT USE IT!

Warren is a reputable company, but does the product state that
the ATF is designed for Z-1 applications right on the bottle?
I would think it would.

Another product that clearly states it is compatible with
Honda Z-1 and the new DW-1 is Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF.

I know Castol Import Multi Vehicle ATF says Z1 and DW-1 but so does

Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF * and its a FULL SYN unlike Multi Vehicle ATF *

for use in vehicles as indicated below:
Manufacturer
Specification
Honda/Acura
ATF-Z1, ATF DW-1,

Test
Method
Typical Results
Viscosity at 40°C, cSt
ASTM D-445
Viscosity at 100°C, cSt
ASTM D-445
Viscosity Index
ASTM D-2270
Color, Typical
ASTM D-1500
Appearance
Red
Brookfield Viscosity at -40 C, cP
ASTM D-2983
Pour Point, ºC (ºF)
ASTM D-97
-50(-58)
Flash Point, °C (°F)
ASTM D-92
177(350)
Specific Gravity, 60°F
ASTM D-1298
Pounds per Gallon
ASTM D-287

IF you have your mind set on going for Castrol IMO I would use the TRANSMAX™ FULL SYNTHETIC MULTI-VEHICLE then the regular Multi vehcile Import ATF.

I think the Synthetic would be better and it says DW1 and Z1 and its a good name.

So you tell me?

Originally Posted By: alsdock
Duly noted. I'm not too worried because for as long as I've owned this car (approx 60k miles), maintenance has been performed as recommended by the maint minder and by issues that typically arise (battery, brakes, etc).
Perhaps when the weather lets up and I feel ambitious, I might check the dipstick and decide then to either do a d&f. Question is, do I perform this task once, twice or three times?

My thought being to replenish whatever properties are contained in the DW-1 or to change whatever negative effects of introducing the Service Pro compound may have on the system. If anything, the system within the transmission will be "cleaned & purified" thoroughly.

OTOH, with 123K on the vehicle, I'm concerned that multiple d&f tasks in close intervals could possibly dislodge accumulated contaminants and cause some real headaches. Maybe taking the "don't fix it if it aint broke" approach has some merit.

If it has been maintained there should be nothing to fear as it should not be dirty in the first place. Personally I only use Honda DW-1 because that is the ONLY fluid that Honda approves. If you choose to use other fluids just make sure that it says "compatible with Honda ATF DW-1". Honda Genuine Fluid is not that expensive, and Hondas are super easy to do drain and fills on, easier than changing the oil, literally. Cost about $35 max to do a single drain and fill by yourself.

Quote:
...Valvoline MaxLife does NOT say it meets DW-1 specs,
although it DOES meet Z-1 specs.

Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF meets BOTH DW-1 and Z-1 specs,....

To be accurate, technically speaking none of the aftermarket Multivehicle ATF's say "meets" any Honda ATF spec. They either say, "recommended for use in" listing in the case of Castrol ATF or "suitable for" listing in the case of MaxLife.

And as has been posted here before and linked below, MaxLife is now suitable/recommended for DW1 applications as the also linked pdf letter dated 8/8/13 confirm.

That said, as the OP's vehicle is spec'd for the, nothing special quick to shear Z1 anyway, the DW1 spec is a moot point.

I agree with those saying that the Service Pro product will be fine and imo is at least as good, but more likely better than the Z1 that was used. Based on the online SPGFS ATF info I'd have no concern about it's use or see a need to be drained quickly. If anything it just refreshed the add pack and that is a good thing.

http://www.valvoline.com/valint/international/english/static_document/MaxLife_ATF_Rev_2013.08.08.pdf

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3222831/Maxlife_ATF_&_Honda_DW-1_s

Thanks to everyone here for their contributions to this post. I'm no longer concerned or having 2nd thoughts that I may have "grenaded" the transmission. I'm sure that the Service Pro fluid will cause no harm, especially if the vehicle is maintained on a regular basis (which it is). I also understand that there are those that feel that it's best to use a manufactures spec'd product. However, it should also be noted that many manufacture's make all sorts of mistakes (ignition switches & airbags immediately come to mind for example). Honda is no exception to the rule. Granted, they build a superior product in my opinion and that's why I switched from GM & Chrysler, but Honda is not perfect.
Getting back on track, it's all a level of comfort. After speaking with the Service Pro distribution manager who claims they've never encountered any problems with this product, in addition to some viewpoints, I'm sure doing one D&F will not send this transmission to the grave. As previously noted, if anything it may have rejuvenated the medium flowing through the nooks and crannies and added longevity to the vehicles drive-ability.
Any more comments, whether positive, negative, good or undesired are always welcome and appreciated. Again, thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back