new mustang GT350 to get flat plane crank

Status
Not open for further replies.
This could be one of the most important developments, not only for the Mustang, but for sports cars in general.

A flat-plane crank is not something you throw into a street car unless you are really, really serious about building a legit SPORTS car, not a pony car or muscle GT.

...Or unless you plan on building it with balance shafts, largely offsetting the benefits and making it just another high specific output engine.

I'm dying to see how this car turns out. On one hand: flat-plane crank, manual transmission ONLY, lower hood, better aero, specific tires, etc. etc. On the other hand: the car it's based on is HEAVY!

Better high Rpm durablity and the loss of the American V8 pulse. I like the twisted crank sound.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
*Gets on knees and prays that the manual gearbox is from Tremec and not Getrag*

Agreed!!!!!

Flat crank 90 degree V-8s are reputed to be pretty rough.
I wonder what Ford has in mind for this volume car that's typically a boulevardier?

Ive always liked the mustang, but the car itself is just too much a waste of space to own, personally. It just feels too big and bloated for its size and interior.

That said, I still love 'em. Not sure Id own one ever, but love them.

And Im sure Ill love this. Looking forward to how it works out...

It's a sad state of affairs when the best that young designers can do is copy the work of predecessors, again and again. Makes one wonder if these new designers are the ones that are interviewed on "Jay-Walk" episodes or maybe they discovered that their expensive computers can't think.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It's a sad state of affairs when the best that young designers can do is copy the work of predecessors, again and again. Makes one wonder if these new designers are the ones that are interviewed on "Jay-Walk" episodes or maybe they discovered that their expensive computers can't think.

Copy? Because an old technology that was inherently unstable and only suited for very limited application can be made mainstream?

Frankly, new innovation by playing with angles on camshafts is not that innovative or novel to anyone skilled in the art. However, new controls systems, actuation systems, and sensors that allow inherently abnormal items to operate "normally" (in our sense of how an engine should run) is indeed great stuff.

Its like saying that fighter jets that are intrinsically unstable and only operate under control through advanced computers are poor reflections of design because people have built airplanes in the past...

It's called not reinventing the wheel.

A high-revving V8 sounds great for a track car. Who cares if it vibrates at idle when it spends most of its time bouncing off the sky-high rev limiter. I hope the accessories can take it!

I was talking about design, as in the Mustang 350, the design of the car. The shape. The image. The over all package. The then fresh design that took some chances in the market place even though underneath is was nothing more than a Falcon. The engineers wanted independent rear suspension and a fancy overhead cam engine in the Mustang but Lee Iacocca said nutz to that, give them something fresh and exciting with a push rod V8 and they will have fun driving the car. Today designers have to go back to the past because frankly they are not able to create that same excitement today. Computers can solve and fix everything.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I wonder what Ford has in mind for this volume car that's typically a boulevardier?
A balance shaft to quell the harmonics[or secondary vibes]

Supposedly the 458 Italia has a pretty smooth-running flat-plane motor. So it can be done. As an aside, this 5.2L flat-plane v8 in the Mustang also makes more than 400 ft/lb of torque (official numbers not yet released). That is a ton of torque for a flat-plane v8 of that displacement!

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
*Gets on knees and prays that the manual gearbox is from Tremec and not Getrag*

From what I've read so far, it's looking like a Tremec 3160. No Getrag
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
A balance shaft to quell the harmonics[or secondary vibes]

Oh boy do I hope they do NOT do that.

The way to minimize vibration with a flat plane crank V8 is super lightweight internals and a high rod/stroke ratio. That's how Ferrari does it. It's bad for low-end torque but perfect for high-end power, which is yet another reason why a flat-plane crank is such big news for a Mustang.

We'll see what Ford does.

I was talking about design, as in the Mustang 350, the design of the car. The shape. The image. The over all package. The then fresh design that took some chances in the market place even though underneath is was nothing more than a Falcon. The engineers wanted independent rear suspension and a fancy overhead cam engine in the Mustang but Lee Iacocca said nutz to that, give them something fresh and exciting with a push rod V8 and they will have fun driving the car. Today designers have to go back to the past because frankly they are not able to create that same excitement today. Computers can solve and fix everything.

Lee Iaccoca envisioned the Mustang to be a small car, one that a woman would feel comfortable driving. When Ford [censored] it by shoving big V8's in it and making it more aggressive looking he got angry. He was not a fan of cars like the BOSS 429, BOSS 302...etc which strayed from his original vision.

When he became president of Ford he was the reason the Mustang II came out, possibly the worst production Mustang of all time.

The GT350 was Carol Shelby's brain child and that car had nothing to do with Iaccoca other than it was based on the car he originally helped create.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back