Is 140,000 miles alot on Toyota Camry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a backup is key if you do your own maintenance. What happens is that no matter how hard you try and plan for an upcoming maintenance event, you almost always find some thing or another along the way that needs fixing that you didn't know about. Then you have to get parts and that takes time. When I don't have a backup, I always over-spend for parts, trying to anticipate what I might find.

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
I dont think its a lot if you have another car in case something goes wrong. If its your only ride...I might be nervous after about 180-200k. If you have backup, you can always push it. None of my cars have much over 100k yet, but im going to keep all for a while and see how far they go.

My '04 Corolla had 148K on it when I bought it...now has 218K and is doing very well...these cars should do 300K or more fairly easily if taken care of...

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
My supposedly unreliable (as a brand) Mazda 3 has almost 120k on the clock and just recently did a roughly 3500 mile round trip without a hick up. It burnt a little bit of M1, which is unusual, but the car had dino for the past ~ 60k miles, so nothing out of ordinary there.

Maintenance is key when used cars are concerned and not the badge on the hood.

Since when is Mazda an unreliable brand? I would place Mazda in the top 5 brands in terms of reliability...

Just took a look at TrueDelta's reliability and repair cost distribution charts for the 2006 Camry. Impressive. No reported repairs over $1000. Over 60% of reported repairs were between $100 to $499. Overall repair history is at the lowest possible end of the scale.

Contrast that with a 2006 Jetta and the repair history maxes out the scale at "worst". Many repairs were over $2500! With one owner reporting a repair of $9500. Nearly mirroring my $7500 experience with an exploded dual mass flywheel destroying the transmission via kinetic energy.

bought a cherry '06 2.4 Highlander this year 5/14 @28k, just turned 40k...runs perfect, zero repairs. Impressive well built car.

Last edited:
No, still plenty of life in it, but like mentioned above, the key factor is; HOW WELL IT WAS MAINTAINED.

300,000 hard miles on my Z-71, original motor, 2nd tranny, need I note this is a landscape truck and has pulled a 20 foot trailer loaded with several zero turns weighing at 1,300 lbs each, and a whole bunch of other equipment, with a total of about 5,500 lbs every single day of it's life Monday through Saturday.

I get flamed for it, but 3,000 mile synthetic oil changes, 10,000 mile air filters, 30,000 mile tranny service, 30,000 mile coolant, and 50,000 mile differential service. In my opinion, it's all about how you take care of them.

To answer your question more directly, if given the fact it was taken care of, you should have plenty of trouble free life in it. With that said, that's not a promise that you won't have to do maintenance on it.

My 300,000 mile truck runs like a brand new truck pulling off the lot, granted I'm about to have to put a few bucks into it this winter in my down time. Time for a Timing Chain, Tires, and Rear Brakes.

With cars at the 150,000 mile range the normal things you will run into (from my experience) with small cars is; Timing Belt, Ball Joints, Struts, CV Axle. Had a lot of 150,000 mile plus cars that ran forever, most of them needed front end work in that time.

Quote:
No, still plenty of life in it, but like mentioned above, the key factor is; HOW WELL IT WAS MAINTAINED.

Exactly!!!!!

My 2001 Mazda Protege has 260,000 miles on it. It is in the body shop for very minor rust repair and an entire repaint. Is it worth it? Yes. Because it has been impeccably maintained and it will be cheaper than buying another used car for my kids with unknown origin.

If it has been maintained somewhat, I would keep it til 200K. That seems to be the nickle dime breakpoint for Camrys.

We have a 2002 with over 250K miles. Two repairs in it's lifetime. An axle and a starter. Nothing else other than maintenance items: tires, brakes, struts.

Not that every Camry will be this way, but no nickel and dime yet for ours. YMMV

Originally Posted By: thorromig
Was contemplating trading in my 2006 Toyota Camry in on a new car. I just rolled 140,000 miles this weekend. My girlfriend asked -- is that alot of miles & how long can you keep it before it starts to nickle & dime you that its not worth keeping? I said, I would have to ask the BITOG crowd. Car runs smooth, inherited it from my Aunt acouple years ago. She bought it brand new, it was her 4th Camry since 1991 & her last. Couple dings here and there from parking lots, small dings but other than that -- its a nice/clean/loaded car. Not even sure what its worth neither??

You will see a bit more neediness as it nears 300,000, but still even then it is stuff that just plain wears out, not poor design.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
We have a 2002 with over 250K miles. Two repairs in it's lifetime. An axle and a starter. Nothing else other than maintenance items: tires, brakes, struts.

Not that every Camry will be this way, but no nickel and dime yet for ours. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back