St. Louis area - need input please

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
I will be staying in St. Louis, MO area this coming weekend; in Fenton.

Given the potential for upheaval in Ferguson, what are the risks for the area around Fenton. It is perhaps 20 miles away, to the south, as the crow flies.

Now, to be clear, I'm not asking about the politics of the area. Please don't go there. I'm not asking about racial demographics, etc. I'm asking about general security and stability of the area. Would it have potential to be affected by any uprising? I am asking about the Fenton area and it's potential (or not) to get sucked into the possible stupidity of mass frenzy.

Your rational input is welcome. More specifically, if you live in the St. Louis area, and can give sage, firsthand advice, that's what I REALLY want.

Fenton area is very UN-likely to be affected by anything in Ferguson. Not close to Ferguson geographically or socially.

I traveled to Missouri a couple of weeks ago and was a little concerned about civil unrest as well. I was much closer to Ferguson than you. (St. Louis Univ.) and saw no sign of any danger or unrest. Given your distance from Ferguson I wouldn't worry at all, however, make sure to pay attention to local news and maintain your situational awareness as anyone always should.

other then a lot of meth being produced there, you will be fine, their walmart store has a lot of arrests throughout the day.

Now, what are you going for and with who?

If family then stay in west county, it's north of Fenton, mo and it is as safe as it gets, I have been living there since 1999.

my wife, my son and his girl friend attended the st louis rams vs seattle seahawks game a few weeks ago and upon exiting, we walked right by a group of ferguson protesters, need less to say that turned ugly, attached article...
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/fans-...833a07a4f6.html

that having been said, i totally enjoyed the trip in to the city, unfortunately this happened, we kept on moving real fast and just left.

distance to edward jones dome where the rams play and ferguson is about 10 miles as the crow flies.

not trying to say anything bad or that anything bad will happen as that is unlikely but i'm just posting my experience.

Last edited:
Part of your planned visit should be a plan to leave just in case.
A friend of mine was staying in a hotel in LA when the Rodney King decision came out. It's a big city but the hotel could not guarantee his safety to the airport after the verdict. The hotel had armed guards at the door and told everyone to stay away from the windows.

Hey I actually live 30 mins from Fenton and work 12 mins from it. Fenton is a decent area. You should be totally safe.
if you have any questions about surrounding areas or anything feel free to pm me.

I have close friends in Webster Groves, and have stayed in Fenton many times.

Fenton should be fine.

If it really bothers you, go a little farther southwest on 44. There's an excellent motel in St. Clair, that doesn't cost a whole lot.

Budget Lodging.

Agree with PhillyJoe, have several exit plans in mind...

I hope that the DA's office gives some type of notice when the decision is coming out, like 24 hours so that folks can leave.

Have been reading here now that if no indictment is brought vs the officer that things could get ugly and that the governor has authorized the use of the guard.

Last edited:
I recently visited Kirkwood relatives and found it to be fully safe and normal. It did not even cross my mind the "safety" issue while there.

A phrase about shoot, a number, God, and sort pops into mind. Same reason I carry when I go anywhere near Louisville, and don't go near KSU.

Last edited:
You will be just fine in Fenton. I live about 5 minutes from Fenton and can assure you that there's nothing to worry about. Being from the area I can say that watching the Ferguson coverage in August on the national networks made it seem that the entire St. Louis area was on fire and rioting. In reality the protesting/rioting was limited to maybe a 3/4 mile stretch of one street in Ferguson.

Enjoy your trip.

St. Louis has a fairly high crime rate to begin with, but keep in mind how those stats are collected and tallied.

There might be a greater chance of some random violent act committed by a nut, related or unrelated to the Ferguson shooting. I guess it's always good to be vigilant and St. Louis could have more trouble, from what I've seen on the news. Still you will be 20 miles away from Ferguson so that risk is probably about the same as anywhere else in that city.

good to hear from folks that live and drive right in the area every day as the stories one reads can be sensationalized....

i plan to return to a few more rams football games, but not sure if that will be this year or next.

You'll be fine.

Generally speaking, the problem areas are inside the I270 loop.

North of I70 is where the Ferguson ruckus is taking place.

Some areas close to downtown an south of I44 can be hit or miss.

Once you get outside the I270/I255 ring, things are generally trouble free for the average joe.

You'll be fine in Fenton, MO.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I will be staying in St. Louis, MO area this coming weekend; in Fenton.

Given the potential for upheaval in Ferguson, what are the risks for the area around Fenton. It is perhaps 20 miles away, to the south, as the crow flies.

Now, to be clear, I'm not asking about the politics of the area. Please don't go there. I'm not asking about racial demographics, etc. I'm asking about general security and stability of the area. Would it have potential to be affected by any uprising? I am asking about the Fenton area and it's potential (or not) to get sucked into the possible stupidity of mass frenzy.

Your rational input is welcome. More specifically, if you live in the St. Louis area, and can give sage, firsthand advice, that's what I REALLY want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back