Wax vs. Polish

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference?

I like to wax/polish my car before the winter and again before the summer. I really can't see spending much more time than that on a vehicle.

What (over the counter) product do you guys recommend for this?

My new Focus is white and I'd like to protect it before the winter.

Polish helps remove swirls and light oxidation. A wax provides a coat that protects for a while. Some products have both i.e mequiers cleaner wax. I use a sealant now rather than a wax as it protects longer.

I never used to be a fan of Nu Finish, but I used it on the Uplander (the liquid orange bottle) and it's lasting a long time. It doesn't provide the best shine so you could always top it with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid wax if you so desire.

Are there any OTC sealants? I see wax and polish. Just curious since I might like to try some without ordering some fancy boutique product on line.

Big fan of Meg's UPW (Ultimate Paste Wax), have had mixed results with the liquid version and hand application.

There are some pretty effective AIO products (cleaner waxes) that serve to both polish and wax but you have to do your research as some are more a polish with a little wax and some are the opposite and do very little polishing/correcting but offer pretty good wax gloss or protection.

Good polish/correction:
Megs M06 Cleaner wax (brown bottle, pretty aggressive!)

Good protection:
Griots Garage All in one Sealant

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Polish helps remove swirls and light oxidation. A wax provides a coat that protects for a while. Some products have both i.e mequiers cleaner wax. I use a sealant now rather than a wax as it protects longer.

It's important to remember that the marketing guru's have ignored the classic definition of polish vs. wax/sealant with their product names. For instance, Zaino Z2 Pro Polish is a "last stage" sealant completely devoid of cleaners and abrasives.

The same thing has been done in the wood finishing market regarding varnish, polyurethanes, wiping oils, etc.. It's all [censored].

Is Nu-Finish a good choice or should I look for a 'sealant'?

I'm more interested in protection than shine...

Originally Posted By: pbm

Like I said, it's working great on the Uplander. It gets washed about once a month. The Nu Finish liquid I applied a couple months ago is still showing that its still working.

Nu-Finish has a love/hate reputation. The haters claim that it stains rubber/plastic terribly and that it's abrasives can cause micro marring. The lovers claim otherwise.

Based on your OP (low input/great results/OTC), you seem to want the elusive cleaner, sealant, 6 month protection in one bottle.

I would research "best AIO sealant" and draw your own conclusion. There is no consensus on this topic.

IMO, if you can find a local dealer (check their site) that can get Duragloss products, you won't spend a fortune and you won't lose any respect from the more dedicated detailers. No one will argue against it being a solid contender at a very reasonable price.

Make sure you follow good general washing and application practices. Simple things like a bad applicator-polishing towel can induce swirls.

Sealants are waxes that usually need hours to fully cross-link which is just about any synthetic (non-carnauba) you'll see OTC. Meguaiars Ultimate Wax is one. If you are interested in durability Armor All Extreme Shield Wax has been FANTASTIC. 6 months to 1 year would be common. 1 year+ has been my experience. It's beyond easy to use. you just slather it on, wipe it off, no need to wait. I can re-wax my car in 15 minutes.

I am not sure if it is a 'sealant' but who cares. It lasts and I've been beyond happy.

Last edited:
nu finish stained my rear bumper horribly FYI. it does shine purty after i wash it though
smile.gif

NuFinish is a sealant. It also is one of the longest lasting "waxes" on the market if not the longest lasting. It does not shine the best but it protects really well and is very durable.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys.....I'll either get the Nu-Finish or a Duragloss product.

I saw a product on sale at WM called 'Barrier Reef' Carnuba Wax....I might give it a try...

I saw a product on sale at WM called 'Barrier Reef' Carnuba Wax....I might give it a try...

That's what I use(the Barrier Reef wax),in conjunction with Eagle One Nano Wax. My 18 year old paint is still in showroom fresh condition.

I use NuFinish all the time for protection but Meguire's is one of the best. I'll even use Turtle wax for looks but it lasts only one or two car washes.
I recently buffed out scratches from my Volvo, Virtual Blue color, polished it to a shine then topped off with Nu Finish.... Wow! What a mirror!

poikaa

A wax offers gloss and very short-term protection.

A polish is an abrasive that is used to remove defects.

There are some "all-in-one" products that offer some protection and some defect removal; they are not great for either purpose but are generally quite useful in production detail shops.

I have many years experience with many product lines, Duragloss is my current favorite.

105 is widely appreciated, but 501 has slightly more chemical "cleaners." I would highly recommend also adding 601 for ease of application and improved durability.

You can direct from their website, get fresh product, and their shipping is fast and reasonable.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
Are there any OTC sealants? I see wax and polish. Just curious since I might like to try some without ordering some fancy boutique product on line.

You can get Duragloss products OTC, as mentioned by others. They are very good also. The 601 & 105 combo is very durable.

used NuFinish for the first time on my van and truck truck today, happy with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back