AT&T U-verse internet residential gateway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those of you using AT&T for internet access... can the residential modem/gateway that AT&T makes you buy be reconfigured to function as a modem only? Does AT&T even give you login/pass to be able to reconfigure anything in it?

Reason being is that I'd like my own router to do things like NAT and DHCP.

Probably not. You are doing IPTV, so the TV boxes in your home are assigned an IP addr, just like the computers.

They either connect over the WiFi, or over traditional coax cable.

I have the Residential Gateway, but I think I have mine set so that it knows there is another router in the home.

I use the Residential Gateway as internet access for my wife and I. The router I've attached to it is for the kids and guests and turns it's WiFi radio on and off on a schedule.

So you can use a second router with the RG, you just get another router hop for any traffic.

The way I have things set up is as follows:

Internet
|
|
RG ==== 192.168.1.0/24 (Parents/uVerse Network)
|
|
|
Kids Router ==== 192.168.2.0/24

I'd have to check my settings at home to see what I changed on the router to do this if you are interested in this solution.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Those of you using AT&T for internet access... can the residential modem/gateway that AT&T makes you buy be reconfigured to function as a modem only? Does AT&T even give you login/pass to be able to reconfigure anything in it?

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Probably not. You are doing IPTV,

Thanks. I would actually not be using AT&T for TV.

How is the U-verse internet? AT&T is trying hard to force me to switch from their DSL to Uverse. I'm resisting as I've heard bad things about Uverse internet. I have no use for their TV or telephone.

In my case, it would actually be just a glorified DSL service delivered over the phone line. They just call everything Uverse these days, regardless if it's copper or fiber underneath.

The place where we live now doesn't have too many options, so if I don't want to use the "free" shared internet provided by the apt community, my only choice is AT&T.

I'm probably not the one to answer since I have Fiber to my home. My data point wouldn't be the same as one who had a copper pair to their home.

It's been pretty solid. I think uVerse was updating the software in the DVR/TV boxes as we had an outage about a month ago. After a couple of days of rebooting the boxes, everything is fine.

I've had two of these type outages in the about 5 years I've had uVerse, so it's been pretty solid.

No complaints.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
How is the U-verse internet? AT&T is trying hard to force me to switch from their DSL to Uverse. I'm resisting as I've heard bad things about Uverse internet. I have no use for their TV or telephone.

Buy your own so you know the login and can set everything yourself.

Well, you can always turn off the Wifi and NAT, but I'm not sure if it will make your network more reliable, faster, or the gateway using less power.

For what it's worth, I have AT&T Uverse (Internet Only) and have nothing but good things to say about it.

I generally work from home and when I first started working from home, AT&T's DSL was too slow and the reception on my Magic Jack was choppy whenever I used my work computer and was in an online screen sharing session.

I called AT&T and told them that I wanted the fastest internet they had. I tried Uverse out from speaking with them and have been satisfied. My connection is fast and my Magic Jack reception is crystal clear.

As far as the modem (if that's what it's called nowadays since it's used for TVs as well) is concerned, I run at least 3 ethernet cables from the back of it to multiple PCs and my Magic Jack and I use the wireless function as well.

I don't use the TV function (I'm too cheap to pay for TV, nor is there much worth watching on TV and my outdoor antenna gets amazing reception for the few times a year I do watch TV).

FWIW, this is the residential gateway I have.

http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/5100-000383-000_2W_Rev_B_0107.pdf

2wire 3800HGV

It has an Ethernet broadband in. There is a box on the side of my home that converts the fiber to Ethernet.

This box then provides WiFi, Cat5 Ethernet, and IP over the CATV coax for the uVerse TV boxes.

I don't see it doing any PPPoE or anything like that, so I don't see why you couldn't try to replace it with your own router. Worst thing that would happen is it doesn't work.

I suppose it's possible the actual modem expects a certain MAC address on the gateway. That's easily resolved. Most routers let you set the mac address on the Broadband port.

So the $100 rg that att sold you, is it yours to keep and does att provide you with login credentials so that you can administer it?

Yes, you get login credentials. You can change the networking information on your side. SSID, passwords, blocking MAC addrs, etc.

I suspect there is still stuff AT&T can reach out and touch from their side of things. Can't prove it. But it wouldn't shock me to learn that's true.

Right, but does it allow you to put it in bridge mode?

If it is ethernet coming in, you might not even have to use the ATT router. What does the ATT router not do that you want it to?

And from a quick google, it appears AT&T 2wire modems/routers have a router-behind-router mode or a bridged mode to enable. it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
It is POTS line coming in, in my case, so i need the modem part of the gateway still.

Im pretty sure my asus router is superior and allows for a lot of customization with tomato firmware. I do vpn, port forwarding, QoS. Not sure how much of this the att gateway can effectively do.

Quantify "do vpn." Any router should be able to let VPN traffic pass if that is all you are doing. If you are wanting the router to be setup as a VPN server for connection originating outside of your home, it won't do that. If you want the router to host the VPN connection to a remote VPN server such that all your home traffic is being sent over the VPN to a remote VPN server, it won't do that either.

Port forwarding and QoS are standard features.

I'm U-Verse internet only and my modem is not that one. I can access some sort of internal menu system, but haven't needed to change anything to know if it could do what you need.

My 24Mbps is plenty fast enough and I've never had an issue with it in the two+ years.

I haven't found it on mine, but I can designate my cascaded router. It's not in an obvious place. It's in the broadband configuration webpage of the router.

I don't see where I can set it for bridge mode. Not that I'd want to, I need my IPTV devices "where" they are on the network.

Right, but does it allow you to put it in bridge mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back