Using ramps for oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made my own ramps out of 2x12s. I needed to for my Mustang and they work great. Nice and wide and very easy to use. I know when my truck is up on them that it's not going anywhere.

I have used pretty much exclusively ramps for oil changes. I retired my old ramps which were about 12 years old to the curb and they were gone in a few hours. Hopefully they do not slay that person. I just replaced them with a new 15k set of Rhino ramps, which my new ram 1500 holds quite nicely. No expansion anywhere, cracking, liquidation of bowels, or anxiety.

I use Rhino ramps for oil changes and have no problems driving any of my vehicles up them and have plenty of clearance so nothing scrapes. Mine have never slid while trying to drive up them.

My 2014 Mustang GT, my fiancee's 2007 Mustang GT, and my former 2004 Monte Carlo SS all sit pretty low and none of them scrapped anywhere.

For the times I need to remove wheels, I use a jack and jack stands.

Wayne

I think the ramps are safer than credit is given for. I do not hear of ramps spontaneously collapsing and hurting anyone. Even if one did, it would be almost impossible for two to collapse at exactly the same time.

I would bet any rare accident involving ramps would have a large degree of user error, and the ramps would not be the cause. I use my Rhino ramps with confidence.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I think the ramps are safer than credit is given for. I do not hear of ramps spontaneously collapsing and hurting anyone. Even if one did, it would be almost impossible for two to collapse at exactly the same time.

I would bet any rare accident involving ramps would have a large degree of user error, and the ramps would not be the cause. I use my Rhino ramps with confidence.

Thank you! Exactly what I was thinking. I've used ramps for oil changes over several decades and only had a problem once, but that was user error. I accidentally pulled the Aerostar too far forward and launched the ramp under the middle of the van. This bent the metal ramp a little, even so I used it for many years after but always on the opposite side of where I was working.

Rhino Ramps P/N: 11909. I use them for my 2011 Sonata, which is definitely too low for typical ramps, as I have the SE package with 18" wheels, and I am not at all disappointed. Can be had for 47.99 here. My first oil change with these ramps was a breeze.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I have been using homemade ramps for many years. I feel far safer using them then any store bought ramps. There is no risk of failure.

They are heavy, but manageable. They are just four layered boards of lumber stacked and screwed together. Gives me enough room to do what I need.

I am planning on making some "2.0" ramps that are lighter in weight but offer another 2" of rise.

Confirmed today that both sets of ramps I have will not work on the girlfriends Volvo. With codes, I could get a set of Rhino ramps for around $35 at AAP. Or a decent 3 ton jack at HF for $80
cool.gif

That way Id have 2 stout jacks and would be able to evenly raise the car and put the ramps under the tires. Seems a bit redundant, but Id only be doing it 2 times a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back