M1 HM 5w-20, 10126 mi, 12 months, 04 Ford Freestar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something bad is going on here. This is my second UOA on my wife’s high mileage 2004 Ford Freestar, and Na, K, and wear metals have spiked. Oil used was M1 HM 5w-20, and the filter was a NAPA Platinum 41516. Our annual mileage on this vehicle has dropped roughly in half, from over 20k miles per year to about 10k. This interval was 12 months and 10,126 miles. The Freestar sees almost all moderate highway miles, with a “short” trip about 10 miles one way, with occasional longer rural highway trips of 40+ miles once or twice a week. It sees no city driving, or other “severe” conditions.

To answer Blackstone’s question, the oil was changed at each UOA, so the oil and filter were new at the start of this interval.

I have not seen a problem with either coolant loss or signs of contamination in the reservoir.

Given the high mileage on this vehicle and the general rough shape (after 3 kids and 10 Wisconsin winters) I think this may signal the beginning of the end. Any and all comments are welcome.

Page_1_04_FREESTAR_110114.jpg

Well I personally would not worry about their comments. I would change the oil and filter a little more often and drive it. The value of that vehicle cant be much and therefore I would change oil, drive it, and not worry about it. Change oil to something like Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum, go for 7500 miles and try the UOA again.
Hard to go wrongwith a vehicle that is not worth much

try going up a grade using the same brand of oil so the uoa can be used to judge the interval.
Yeah. Go a grade thicker and add a can of liqui-moly mos2. If you think the engine is dissolving from the inside out the mos2 certainly can't hurt and might even help eek a few more miles from it.

The lead is puzzling. Ford uses a lead free bearing,so there shouldn't be any lead in the sample at all.
Did blackstone possibly mix up and you've got someone else's uoa?

Just spitballing.

101,000 isn't high miles imo. I'd try an oci of a good 30 weight (maybe MC 5/10W30) and run it for 3000 miles and see if you get a better UOA.

You know if the engine is wearing, it's going to shed a certain amount of material, whether you change the oil or not. The more often you change the oil, the lower the amount of shedded material you will find in the oil. That doesn't mean the oil can't do its job, its a very low amount of metal in the oil.

234K miles on the engine is why the UOA has those results, not the oil. As long as the oil doesn't get a lot of moisture in it and turn acidic why worry about it?

This OUA might get you thinking about a new car more than worrying about how long to run the oil.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Use PYB HM oil in a 5W30 and run 5K OCI's...

I agree or another High mileage dino oil for 5k or so.

I would hold off on any stop leak in the radiator unless you LNOW you have a terminal headgasket issue and just want to buy a little extra time.

Keep doing what you're doing. Nothing looks "terminal" to me. If you start to lose coolant, add some Bars Leaks pellets. Just an old high mileage van starting to show it's age. Doubtful it owes you anything. Wisconsin is severe duty for any vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back