Oil recommendation for 2011 Quest vq35de

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the time has come to get rid of my wife's 2000 Nissan Quest.
The dealership I work for has a nice used 2011 Quest, I brought it home for the weekend, and we are going to pull the trigger and buy it.
It has 48k miles and over all is in very good condition. Looking through the oil cap, the top of the head looks spotless.
I have heard the vq35de engines do well with a 5w40 or 0w40.
I was looking at possibly Mobil1 0w40 or one of the Amsoil 5w40 European formula oils.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
M1 0w40 sounds like a winner to me. It would be wise to go with a 5w30 or 0w30 since we are entering the winter season though.

Nissan specs this vehicle for 5w30 originally I believe.
Going with that, an 0w30 would be the preferred choice for cold weather and its specs are superb.

Lots of choices will work perfectly fine, depending upon what one's goals are. If you're doing something like 3,000 mile/3 month OCIs and/or are concerned about warranty, any SN/GF-5 5w-30 at your best price will do the trick.

You certainly can go thicker if you so choose, or can find a synthetic to extend your OCI. But, there is nothing wrong with a 5w-30 at the severe service OCI.

Just curious.
People beat a dead horse trying to prove how important to follow manufacturer's recommendation. But if these recommendations are not fancy and fashionable, they are simply ignored. Am I right that in owner's manual there is a line that "Nissan recommends mineral oil"?

For my VQ25DET; the first UOA on SynPower 5w-40 showed it had sheared out of grade @5500kms. Second UOA on Mobil 1 0W-40 was fine @6000kms. Handbook for this motor recommends everything from 0W-20 (translates to something like SJ Strong Save) to 15W-50 (translated to SJ Formula).

5w30 didn't do well in mine (M35). Owned since new, it used a little oil and was somewhat louder than it is on on 0w40.
Oil consumption is zero with 0w40 (on the dip stick anyway) and the engine is silent. No noticeable difference in fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: Trav
5w30 didn't do well in mine (M35). Owned since new, it used a little oil and was somewhat louder than it is on on 0w40.
Oil consumption is zero with 0w40 (on the dip stick anyway) and the engine is silent. No noticeable difference in fuel economy.

Interesting.

OP
Trav knows his stuff. Consider this gospel. And the price is definitely right.

VQ engines operate well on 5w30 as well. My armada which is a VQ56 engine has ran only 5w30 synthetic at 8-10k mile intervals and it still runs like new with no consumption with 167k+ miles on it now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: timeau
Just curious.
People beat a dead horse trying to prove how important to follow manufacturer's recommendation. But if these recommendations are not fancy and fashionable, they are simply ignored. Am I right that in owner's manual there is a line that "Nissan recommends mineral oil"?

Lol

I remember reading that in an Altima manual for the VQ25DE. Not sure about VQ35DE.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
VQ engines operate well on 5w30 as well. My armada which is a VQ56 engine has ran only 5w30 synthetic at 8-10k mile intervals and it still runs like new with no consumption with 167k+ miles on it now.

The V8 doesn't seem to beat the oil to death like the V6. Sure they run okay on 5w30 no one is saying they don't, the VQ45 runs okay on 5w30 also.

The 5w30's look like they were taken out back and given a beating with a baseball bat by these V6's.

I may run synthetic 5w30 at the severe service 3700 mile interval until the power train warranty is up at 60k, then switch to 0w40.
I just brought it home Monday night, and it had just had an oil change at the dealership. I guess I have a while to make up my mind. It will probably take 5 months for my wife to put 3k on it.

If you feel better just run 0W40 year around. It will work fine and give you more piece of mind.

I now run 0w40 in every gas engine I own...In SD winters at -35 degrees.

Castrol 0w30 or 0w40
Mobil1 0w40

There are plenty of 0w40's out there. Use what you can find locally.

CVT? Consider a preemptive strike there too. Give it a drain/refill now and every 30k. CVT longevity has been hit or miss.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Your Armada has a VK56. Different engine family, but the VQ is fine on 30 or 40 weight.
The latest owners manuals specify 5w30, but most early 2000ish VQ equipped Nissan manuals say 5w30, 10w30, and 10w40 can be used.

I personally run Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 in my VQ40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back