Ford Everest...foreigners getting cool stuff again

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/fords-new-e...-but-cant-have/

I do want.

It is a fraction of a vehicle the 1991-2001 Explorer was, but it is infinitely more awesome than the FWD Taurus Wagon we have now.

Why do our "utility vehicles" have to be so candy [censored]? Is it a bad thing for a "utility vehicle" to be able to tear up a trail out of the box?

1stexplorer.jpg

Awesome.

2015-Ford-Everest-103-626x382.jpg

Acceptable.

2013-ford-explorer-sport-side.jpg

Some kind of odd looking Taurus.

So there is a reason the explorer is no longer RWD and body on frame. Because noone who bought them actually used them for going offroad. So manufacturers changed them to actually fit how people use them. Going to the grocery store and hauling kids.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
So there is a reason the explorer is no longer RWD and body on frame. Because noone who bought them actually used them for going offroad. So manufacturers changed them to actually fit how people use them. Going to the grocery store and hauling kids.

Which a sedan or station wagon can do more efficiently and effectively than a bloated fake truck, so now those of us who do go offroad, tow things, and treat a utility vehicle like a truck are stuck with the 4Runner. Not that the 4Runner is bad, but some competion would be nice.

A family member of mine just recently got a new 4Runner specifically because it fit the bill of "real SUV," so Ford lost a sale on that one. Another family member who could go out and buy a new Explorer tomorrow still drives a '93 Eddie Bauer with over 250K miles and plans to own it indefinitely because nothing new except a 4Runner can replace it.

law enforcement sales are more than making up for those losses.
That "funny Looking Taurus thing" with the proper x-brace in the back (police interceptors come with it, bolts into the same holes as the 3rd row seats) is rated to withstand a 70mph rear impact with little to no intrusion into the seated positions(aka foreward of the C-Pillar)

Last edited:
Seems a lost opportunity for Ford with this Everest.
They should just charge a premium for it over the
poser currently called the Explorer. Which I agree is a
poor substitute for a real SUV.

Alan Mulally was pushing a ONE FORD product line that was going to be offered around the world with slight modifications for models depending on the market. Mark Fields is starting to look like all the other Ford CEOs of the past , and that isn't a good thing.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Which a sedan or station wagon can do more efficiently and effectively than a bloated fake truck, so now those of us who do go offroad, tow things, and treat a utility vehicle like a truck are stuck with the 4Runner. Not that the 4Runner is bad, but some competion would be nice.

A family member of mine just recently got a new 4Runner specifically because it fit the bill of "real SUV," so Ford lost a sale on that one. Another family member who could go out and buy a new Explorer tomorrow still drives a '93 Eddie Bauer with over 250K miles and plans to own it indefinitely because nothing new except a 4Runner can replace it.

And answer me this. Do either of them do anything that requires a "real" SUV? Towing heavy loads? Serious off roading? If the answer to these questions is "no", then they aren't buying SUVs because they need them. They are buying them because they WANT it. People are generally extremely impractical when it comes to car purchasing decisions.

And answer me this. Do either of them do anything that requires a "real" SUV? Towing heavy loads? Serious off roading? If the answer to these questions is "no", then they aren't buying SUVs because they need them. They are buying them because they WANT it. People are generally extremely impractical when it comes to car purchasing decisions.

The 4Runner is two weeks out of the showroom and has yet to get dirty, but the owner's dad has a lot of hunting land. They wanted something that could keep up out there.

The '93 Explorer goes out in the woods all the time. Its owner is an avid caver.

So yes, they need a little more than an obese Taurus. Some people still do go outdoors, and not just to the neighborhood park.

Answer me this, what's the point of having something that looks like an SUV, but has the capability of a car/station wagon? Why the need for looks with nothing to back it up?

I cringe when people come in to where I work calling a Traverse a "truck." Funny thing is, the Traverse parts are listed in the car catalog. Trailblazer and Blazer parts are in the truck catalog.

I agree Ranger! I like it, a lot more than the Escape, Edge, or the Explorer. I was a long time Ford fan, I can honestly say the only current offering I still like of theirs is the Pick-up trucks, and if I were in the market to buy one I'd buy a Ram. OTOH if that SUV was available here, with RWD bias I'd consider it. I would even go into discussing how they destroyed the E series vans.
27.gif
Wake up Ford. Opinions vary, that was mine.

They'll sell loads of 'em here, but 95% of them will be dropping kids at school and doing the grocery run! Based on the Ranger, so should be decent enough, although I hope they've refined the diesel a lot, the Ranger engine sounds like a tractor. Regardless, once my wife sees one, I'm sure her CX9 will be on borrowed time!

And sadly, it's main role will be as a replacement for the Ford Territory, a fantastic vehicle which the rest of the world missed out on, and one which ceases production in 2016...I'll bet bdcardinal knows what a Territory is!

I reckon these will sell well down here too, I like the look of the front end of them. I like the 3.2 Diesel too, a work mate has a Ranger with the same engine and the 5 cyl sounds very funky haha
It is a shame the Territory is getting the boot in a few years
frown.gif
a jacked up Falcon with the same 4.0 I6 plus optional 4wd what's not to love. Would have been interesting if they stuck the disel v6 that you can get in the Territory into the Falcon too!
I think the Mustang is gonna be a big hit down here too when it gets released soon, I can see them being everywhere but hopefully it doesn't steal the limelight of the new Falcon FGX

... so now those of us who do go offroad, tow things, and treat a utility vehicle like a truck are stuck with the 4Runner. Not that the 4Runner is bad, but some competion would be nice.

While it is unibody, don't forget the Dodge Durango kept RWD as standard.

Last edited:
FWD vs RWD argument is overstated to me. I've had them both, along with a few AWD vehicles. As a (suburban) dd, not a hill of beans difference. In my opinon, yes the Everest is a very nice vehicle, as is the Explorer.

Last edited:
Which a sedan or station wagon can do more efficiently and effectively than a bloated fake truck,

Agreed. I was trying to convince the wife to get a station wagon instead of a gas guzzling SUV, but she just wouldn't budge. She has this notion in her head that a station wagon is an old person's car and she wanted to sit higher up. Needless to say, I lost that battle. But if I ever get around to replacing my car, I will seriously consider a station wagon for its practicality, and some of them actually look good (to me). Sadly, some manufacturers are limiting the trans and engine options for their wagon models, so that might affect my decision.

I thought the whole idea of 'OneFord' was to sell the same products in every market....I'll have to give Mullaly a call....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: pbm
I'll have to give Mullaly a call....

Mullaly is no longer at the helm.

I know but I'm sure he can get in touch with the new guy...

But there are LOTS of people who wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan or station wagon. Some fear of feeling old, or fear of their masculinity/femininity/etc.

And if you're really going off road and need that, why not go buy a crew cab pickup, which have really taken off, or go with some of the domestic full-size vehicles? People want bigger vehicles too... which is why mini trucks and what not aren't common any more either...

A crew cab pickup is a terrible compromise. Huge isn't a good thing off road. A lot of people don't want to deal with something that large day in day out, and it might not even fit in their garage.

I know why this is happening in the US...shallow consumers + CAFE. I just wish that wasn't the case. The rest of the world is still getting legitimate off road capable utility vehicles (even if crossovers are sold along side them), and here in the US manufacturers are like "Look at this "truck!" It has a power folding third row! Look, a screen on the dash for phone syncing! No buttons or levers with confusing symbols like '4WD Low,' just choose snow or sunshine! The rear doors don't slide like one of those uncool minivans! It's totally a truck, we promise!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back