Subaru's New FB and FA motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: glock19
It definitely happens on the FB20. The worst case of oil consumption I've seen in person was on an Impreza Sport with the FB20.

Yeah, as I understand it, oil burning was an issue with all the FB engines. But the FA20 is a significantly different design from the FB20.

Originally Posted By: emg
Originally Posted By: glock19
It definitely happens on the FB20. The worst case of oil consumption I've seen in person was on an Impreza Sport with the FB20.

Yeah, as I understand it, oil burning was an issue with all the FB engines. But the FA20 is a significantly different design from the FB20.

Apologies, I read too quickly and didn't notice you said FA20.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: k24a4
My gf has a '15 6-manual Forester Premium with the FB25. At just over 4k miles I've had to add about a quart of oil, 1/2 qt on two separate occasions.

k24, silly question; How is the 'reading of the dipstick' on your GF's FB25? It's ridiculous on my FB20. If one side of the stick reads between the "add" and "full" holes, the other side of the stick will be at the "add" hole. Almost as if the tip of the stick rests horizontal, at the surface of the oil in the pan. Multiple plunge/pull/wipe/repeats just result in oil streaking 6" up the stick. Same with trying to read the level on a warm engine.

I've resorted to relying on what I can see right after an oil change as being full (after multiple annoying re-wipes). One side of the stick at full or slightly above, and the other at the mid-way level.

On my 2011 Impreza, the dipstick is terrible as well. A Subaru tech I know showed me how he checks the oil...

Remove dipstick, wipe off... then remove o-ring at top of dipstick... when warm, it just rolls off... let car sit for 5 minutes with dipstick out... then check oil. Replace o-ring, put dipstick back in...

I thought, SERIOUSLY... when he said that... but on my car, it now works way better...!

The dipstick reading issue is well documented in the EJ series engines. I hoped they could have at least fixed that with a new platform. Oh well.

Subaru has lost most of it's quirky character and moved more and more toward appliance products. It's good for the bottom line, as they are doing well with the strategy. But I'm sad to say there is not a Subaru model in the usdm that I'm interested in right now. If pushed, the FXT would be it, but alas no manual transmission...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back