Filter attributes cheat-sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of info here is scattered over many threads. It would be helpfull for people to see some basic info for comparison, side-by-side right on the same thread. So, how about we list some of the more common filters' attributes here for reference. I'll try to list some filters and their known or supposed attributes for an example. Please correct me if I'm wrong and add whatever you can.

Motorcraft- Puralator made. Coarse media. Threaded-end bypass. Some models have silicone if "S" is in the part number. Decent price and many oversize applications.

Puralator Pure Plus- Popular choice for overall price/quality.
Puralator P1- Fine media. Silicone ADBV. Reasonable price.

SUPERTECH- Champion Labs. Excellent price. Good flow/filtration.

STP- Champion Labs. Better Media than ST.(?)

BOSCH Premium- Filtech(?) "Synthetic Media"

Fram- Very coarse media, questionable costruction.
Fram TG- Better media, screen-over BPV/ "Acceptable" in a pinch.
Fram XG- Good-er, but not worth $10.

WIX/NAPA Gold- Top-quality, fine media, Silicone ADBV.

Hastings- Top-Quality

Mann- OEM Super Quality, "2 Years/30,000km" printed on side. Silicone ADBV.

Please include more info, you guys know much more than I do.
grin.gif

I like the idea but I don't think you'll ever get too much in the way of a consensus on the correct way to describe one filter over another. If you were to ask a dozen BITOG regulars (or would that be irregulars?)you're bound to get at least 13 answers.

As a for instance I might take exception to what you've listed for Mann. Super Quality? Sure those European filters look like a work or art when you take them apart but is their media even as efficient as the least expensive USA assembled Fram? Yes? No? Prove it!

Auto-union,

Your idea is good. However, most all of what you listed are very subjective opinions. You have also not been consistant in your ratings. Some filters you talk about flow, some you talk about price/performance, some you rate in "popularity". Hmmm.

When I opened up the Hastings filters I used for two different applications I did not see how they were all that superior to the Purolator Plus I used before and after--but they were more expensive. I agree with Winston's subjective opinion on this post.

I understand all that and did when I started the thread. "Attributes" is the word I chose and if someone has an attribute they are willing to post, then do so.

Geez, all the brain-power here and no input yet? There's nothing subjective about it, if a filter has a Silicone valve or threaded-end bypass, then it should be listed as such. Was my original list so completely accurate and comprehensive that noone can add to it? Eventually I wanted to compile this thread into a chart with known attributes checked-off to help people choose filters that suit them, but without any help correlating the info, it's pointless.

I think most people have their own list of two or three filters they'll buy and they keep buying them until they add one or take one off the list.

I agree with lobo. The Hastings I cut open looked much like a Purolator or the various Champ brands. I think they are an ordinary filter sold for a higher price by low volume, high priced jobbers. If Baldwins are the same, they certainly aren't worth their price.

Myself I like AC and read good things here about other OEM's except Honda.

Since nobody stocks the AC's I need, I mostly buy ST or Purolator. No sense paying more for a similar filter.

Aside from being dome end, I don't know of any real data showing a problem with clickers. So what are you switching to? Do the Pure 1's have the same dome end as the Premium Plus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back