Mixing Dexcool and Dodge 5 year HOAT coolant ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I recently bought a Viper that I have learned from the shop that built it has Dexcool in it. I need to change it as it's not properly mixed for NY winters.

My question is, if I completely drain the system (block included), will I be fine just refilling with the proper Dodge HOAT coolant, or will I need to flush the system?

Thanks!
Travis

My suggestion, after you drain the radiator and block of Dex, do at least one distilled water fill, then run it a while, then drain radiator to check the clarity. If it runs clear, then just add your full strength G-05 to at least 50% (or desired concentration) system capacity and then top off with distilled.

IMO, that way you can be fairly certain you have gotten the Dex out which would be desirable.

I would not mix. If you are not able to do a complete flush now, I'd just drain what I could and add full-strength Dex/Dexclone to achieve the needed freeze protection. Then you could do the proper flush next spring.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
I would not mix. If you are not able to do a complete flush now, I'd just drain what I could and add full-strength Dex/Dexclone to achieve the needed freeze protection. Then you could do the proper flush next spring.

+2.

Play it safe. Never mix any of these coolant types no matter what someone may tell you. Be careful of universal products. The risk of damage and the potential expense is not worth the risk. If you flush and change do a good job. Over do it, but be sure to clean everything out.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

Agreed, flush completely of stick with the same chemistry.

Id get the dex out of there, theres no way of knowing
what it will do to the seals and dex do have a record of trouble.
Rinse it with water a couple of times and fill with g05 ( mopar hoat )Remember to run the Engine between rinses so you rinse the heater also.The last rinse should be hot enough for the termostat to open.

Flush is a bogus term.

If you can drain the block, radiator, and bottle, you can refill with whatever you want. The residual is nothing to worry about.

Nothing wrong with dexcool or AMAM. Just remember to change your coolant in some time/mileage interval shorter than what the automaker or fluid bottle brags about.

From dexcool, you can easily move to Prestone all makes/models. And then in a couple years, move to OE if you want.

What year? mileage? required OE pn? and the required OE time or mileage interval?

Pics!

Flush would be the right thing to do irrespective of what has been drained.

Running plain distilled water is a must else you will have old coolant somewhere in the closed loop system.

BTW, never ever mix coolants, I have done that before and it was a sordid memory.

There are different types of flushes, I prefer Distilled water only with idle only. No need for flush chemicals or anything like that but mixing dex cool with a HOAT is a no no.

Unless your water is really bad, GM says it's OK to mix with tap water in their service manual. That's all I have ever used and never had any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back