fuel tank- olds ciera

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ciera needs a fuel tank. I can smell fuel , and i see dark spots on the back of the tank.
Questions 1. Dorman tank for 147.99 or
2. Spectra tank for 119.99

I can get $40 off either tank and free shipping at AAP with code trt 41.

Is one brand better than the other?

Should i spend the money on a new fuel pump setup or just move the one i have over?

I figure a junkyard tank from a 21 year old car will be no better than what i have now.

You run the risk of the sender being rusty crusty. The actual pump will be fine but there's a lock ring and a bunch of metal nipples that won't appreciate getting moved.

However they could have been done a few years ago, or otherwise be in good shape, so you won't know until you get the tank down.

Sometimes the lock rings are plastic and you can tap them off with hammer and screwdriver going anti-clockwise. Other times there's tar/undercoating all in there and you have to chisel and pry stuff out.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Maybe it's a pump gasket, fuel line or connection. Is it plastic or metal?

Its metal, its not a line leak its dark spots leaking through the side' so the tank has rusted from the inside. ( the car sat un driven for 3 years before i got it)

Its a 16.5 gallon tank. All the replacement tanks are 15 gallon.

Last edited:
I installed a new Spectra tank four years ago. A good product and for a price of 80 bucks. There is not a bit of rust on that tank after 4 years. I replaced the pump and straps anyway.They were over 20 years old with 130k miles. I did not want to drop the tank again. Wear gloves handling the new tank. There are a lot of sharp edges.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back