puro classic filter w synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an overkill guy so i change my full synthetic about every 4k. When using pennzoil platinum or mobil 1, i was wondering if at that oci anyone would be concerned just using a purolator classic with a high quality full synthetic?

it sure would make my wally world shopping even easier. Honestly, the construction looks no different than the honda accord oem filter.

am i being cheap?

Originally Posted By: kenpoed
I am an overkill guy so i change my full synthetic about every 4k. When using pennzoil platinum or mobil 1, i was wondering if at that oci anyone would be concerned just using a purolator classic with a high quality full synthetic?

it sure would make my wally world shopping even easier. Honestly, the construction looks no different than the honda accord oem filter.

am i being cheap?

The construction is way different than the Honda OEM. Not sure which one your comparing it too. The Fram made one has fiber end caps and the Filtech one has no endcaps at all. The Puro Classic is rated for 3000 miles, and some have had tears even with that low of mileage. I wouldnt chance it. Thats just me. I would honestly use a Fram Extra Guard (orange can) before I used a puro classic. As far as the filter being compatible with synthetic oil, yeah thats totally fine.

i was wondering if at that oci anyone would be concerned just using a purolator classic

Not if you don't mind torn media in your filter.
28.gif

If you're fine with unfiltered oil then a Purolator oil filter is great for you.

Yes you're being cheap. Find another filter that won't tear

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Puro Classic is a well built filter you be fine

What? WHAT??? Since when is a filter that tears its FILTERing media a well built filter?

Originally Posted By: gregk24

What? WHAT??? Since when is a filter that tears its FILTERing media a well built filter?
If a Purolator classic is a well built filter, I'd like to find out what is a poorly made filter.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: gregk24

If a Purolator classic is a well built filter, I'd like to find out what is a poorly made filter.

Yes please..

am i being cheap?

If your changing synthetic every 4k then you're not being cheap...I'm sure you can go 12k on synthetic oil no problems. Get an oil analysis for peace of mind

i absolutely don't trust any filter that has so many reported tears considering approx. 98% of people that use then don't cut them open so there are more torn filters than anyone can imagine.
Use something good !!

most Hondas only require the filter to be changed every 2nd oil change according to the book, at least the honda i used to own was this way. I would just buy something a little more expensive and of higher quality like the OEM filter or a bosch and change it every 2nd oil change.

also your honda probably called for 7500 mile oil changes by the book so if you feel comfortable with it you could extend your interval some to save money as well. However, if 4k miles is where your comfortable that is ok too.

Last edited:
I have a wry smile reading this thread. It seems imo, the purohaters are so salivating at the chance to condemn using a Classic for 4k, no attention even paid to running synthetic oil for 4k miles.

Based on 'recent' posting examples here of similar fcis using the L14610, it will likely hold up just fine for 4k miles. That said, synthetic oil when run as designed and a Classic filter are a mismatched combination imo.

So in answer to the question asked "am I being cheap"? I would say it's much less about being cheap for using the L14610 for 4k miles which is reasonable for that filter, than it is about being wasteful running synthetic oil for 4k miles in said vehicle.

Seems to me if you are really "an overkill guy", since you mention Wally World convenience option, buy an Ultra also sold at WM and run it also 4k miles. That way it would be not maximizing FU filter use in addition to the oil. Really overkill and wasteful.

Or you could run synthetic oil 4k miles and use the Ultra twice. That would be somewhat less wasteful and a bit better roi.

Or and the best choice imo with the WM only purchase option in mind, run the synthetic oil to at least 10-15% Honda MM or owner manual oci recommendation (whichever applies), and use the Ultra two ocis.

My .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back