OCI for Low Mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil in my Mom's car was last changed 2 years ago. There is about 1000 miles on the oil. The car is a 2000 Ford Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan.

Suggestions on when to change the oil? It currently has Motorcraft semi-syn and a Motorcraft filter. Ford stealer changed it last.

Oil can't tell time. Even if those thousand miles were all city,stop and go it's still fine.
Dnewton had a uoa done on oil that was in his truck for 3 years and it was fine. It was conventional too.
I'd leave it unless there is some obvious reason to change it.
And based on that kind of use you may want to do the next change with a high mileage oil or use an additive like motor oil saver to keep the gaskets supple and prevent gasket leaks from them drying out.
Oil cannot tell time. Proven time and time again. Putting a hard cap for an oil change interval based on time alone is dumb. An engine is for the most part sealed from the outdoors so contamination isn't very likely.

Look in the owner's manual. If not a mileage interval go with the time interval. I drive less than 3000 miles on my Yota truck but go with the 3 month OCI per the scheduled maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
How is it driven?

A half-mile here, maybe a mile or two there. Never gets warmed up.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Good for at least 2-3 more years at that rate

+1....time is not an issue. Mileage is. It would be good for you to take it on a good 30-40 highway trip once every quarter.

Originally Posted By: C4Dave
How is it driven?

If this is its only use, then yearly would be a good plan. If you can take it away from her monthly, and drive it 30+miles each time (Highway) you could go several years. Getting up to temp and keeping it there periodically is the best thing you could do for the car.

How is it driven?

Have you checked for the mayonnaise sludge at the fill hole yet?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
How is it driven?

Have you checked for the mayonnaise sludge at the fill hole yet?
I just checked. Oil cap and inside the fill hole are spotless! The metal is shiny and clean with no discoloration. No sign of "mayonnaise" inside the oil cap. I plan on driving it monthly to get everything warmed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back