WIPE NEW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here at Bob's tried Wipe New for your vehicles. Either using it on the paint or headlight assemblies?

If so, does it work as advertised and does it last long?
Is it difficult to apply?

Just curious as I do see this product at discount stores for about $12 instead of the original $20.

Ive used it on faded plastics on a watercraft, and it was amazing. Hard to say how long it will last as I ended up selling the watercraft.

We have on all of our car, FLAT BLACK Painted door window frames/B-Pillars. They have gotten even flatter, almost gray in color but, NOT completely chalked.

Sure, I can use an interior/exterior product such as, dash or tire dressing on the pillars but, this will only last between car washes. I am looking for something that last longer(years in fact!)

I bought and used Wipe New when it first aired on tv a while ago. I don't have much unpainted faded plastic on my cars so I used it during headlight restoration projects for friends and family. I expected the product to last YEARS as advertised but I'm sure deep in our hearts we know that, that type of claim in bogus!

I'm sure they could design a product that last for years but then they will only see your $20 once in a while and is that good business? I don't think so.

Anyway, the headlights that I applied Wipe New did stay clear longer then the traditional headlight sealer ever could but still within 3-5 months the headlights were getting to the point where I decided to buff and reapply the product again to achieve crystal clear results.

It's disappointing to say the least but it does seem to work very well for the first few months. Considering the harsh environment that the poor headlights experience daily, I don't mind rebuffing them every few months. It only takes a few minutes for me with a cordless drill and Mothers Power Ball + Meguiers headlight polish goo.

I agree. Thanks for the review.
My question (fear) has always been....Is it possible to wear through those thin plastic lenses?

Those lenses are inexcusable in my opinion.
MAYBE (if they were cheaper) the industry could argue for periodic replacement. Kira

Early aerodynamic headlights were glass (late 80/early 90s GM J car was glass made in Germany.The 1995 J car redesign went plastic).I guess they caught on plastic was cheaper than glass.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Early aerodynamic headlights were glass (late 80/early 90s GM J car was glass made in Germany.The 1995 J car redesign went plastic).I guess they caught on plastic was cheaper than glass.

But also, plastic allows for more aerodynamic front end design and they're lighter as well when mfg's were looking for weight reduction in vehicles.

smile.gif

Wipe New looks great when new and is actually quite durable. The problem is 6 months to a year later it'll fade, lose it's gloss, and start peeling.

Then the problem becomes how do I fix the mess Wipe New left. That's a much more difficult process that can easily require wet sanding as Wipe New, when fully cured, seems impervious to all but the most aggressive paint removal solvents. To the point that any solvent that can remove it, also damages the surface it was applied to.

You're much better off with regular application of protectant. Or for slightly longer durability without getting into exotic "permanent" coatings, especially the low quality ones like Wipe New, use Mother's Back to Black, or Turtle Wax Trim Restorer which works remarkably well. The Turtle Wax Trim Restorer both blackens and lasts longer than anything Meguiar's or Mother's or pretty much any other conventional off the shelf protectant/restorer.

Yeah, I don't want any peeling!
I do have a new bottle of Turtle Wax Trim Restorer. I has it's purpose but, I don't particularly like it on the "flat black" B Pillars as it never really dries and gets on you hands every time you close the doors.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I agree. Thanks for the review.
My question (fear) has always been....Is it possible to wear through those thin plastic lenses?

Those lenses are inexcusable in my opinion.
MAYBE (if they were cheaper) the industry could argue for periodic replacement. Kira

I'm sure with enough aggressive sanding that its very possible to wear a hole right through the plastic. Who knows how thin it really is.

I think the best thing to do is maintain headlight clarity from the beginning by applying a thin coat of plastic protectant every so often. If the headlights have begun to go dull, a quick buff every so often is better then waiting until you can't see jack on the road and wet-sanding / heavy buffing is needed.

I try to maintain Like New appearance of my cars and crystal clear headlights are definitely a high priority.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yeah, I don't want any peeling!
I do have a new bottle of Turtle Wax Trim Restorer. I has it's purpose but, I don't particularly like it on the "flat black" B Pillars as it never really dries and gets on you hands every time you close the doors.

I think I have a better suggestion then. Try Johnson Paste Wax. It'll give a protective coating on the matte surface and dries to a waxy finish that doesn't get all over the place if you touch it. It's available in Home Depot where you'd find floor waxes and wood finish products.

I've used it on my cars and for grey and black plastic there's just no beating it's durability. Good for leather too.

I have 2 cans of Johnson Paste Wax Carnauba for hardwood floors. I have used in on the paint of a vehicle and it's the absolute, most difficult product that I have ever used.

It dries very fast and if you don't remove it "QUICKLY", you're in trouble. Though the finish is brilliant! I have not tried to use this Johnson Paste Wax on flat black surfaces(especially 14 yr old ageing flat black) as it may chalk the surface even more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back