New To BMW and Synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chrisri
How about a 1 series coupe. Are they available in NA ? Very nice car, best BMW since e30 IMO.

That is not an option for me as primary car. Needs to have AWD (lot's of skiing, driving in blizzards on curvy roads etc).
Once I make more money, 235i or something like that as second car, yes.
Point is, BMW was always the one. No they are just trying to make too much money everywhere.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
Well the base A6 has four cylinder, front wheel drive, and CVT. That sounds more like an Altima than an Audi.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Agree! However as I said, I was always biggest fan of BMW, but
1. I cannot hide fact that for example A6 is some 500+lbs lighter then BMW.
2. That A6 as a package is more complete car.

Granted:
BMW has engine pushed more behind axle, and that it is inline 6 if we are talking about 6-cyl engines.
But, when I see numbers, it seems that now Audi's are constantly ahead. I recently had opportunity too drive for several days 535i xDrive, A4, 328i xDrive. While I think 3 series is definitely ahead of A4, 5-series leaves me disappointed. There is no blistering performance, while A6 3.0T really feels powerful and light weighted.
I always considered Audi more expensive VW. However I think they get their stuff together, while BMW has issues within family, of people who are traditionalists and people who are pushing for different consumers.
I agree oil dipstick does not make car more or less driver oriented, but someone who is DYI guy? Those small stuff are just too irritating.
My perfect BMW right now?
Take out GPS, that [censored] eco whatever that illuminates different colors that show current consumption, take out backup camera, just leave SAT radio for long trips. Give me coolant temp, oil temp, oil dipstick and 3.0 liter turbo, and I will immediately buy that car.

Take a BMW M4 Coupe out and let me know what you think.

And if you need something with more doors, my wife's BMW 550IX with the M option does a nice job too.

And then there is the M6 to consider.

It will leave you overwhelmed and unable to spell Aodui, Auodi, Au.... you get my point.

BMW did not became famous by making big V8 twinturbo engines, but making 2002ti, E30 etc.
You missing my point. I like BMW more then Audi, but they lost that nitche, where you buy small 3 series and you get clearly much more sportier car then competition.
BMW 550i xDrive? Seriously.

Yeah, but my point all this time is that BMW allowed itself to go in the same sentence as Audi. I remember Audis and lough when people were trying to point how good they are. When you tell them weight and location of engine they get dumb folded bcs they never thought of that.
And yes, 2.0, CVT all that is fine. Point is why 528i has so much more weight and drives like 7 series not good old 5 series E39!

BMW did not became famous by making big V8 twinturbo engines, but making 2002ti, E30 etc.

You missing my point. I like BMW more then Audi, but they lost that nitche, where you buy small 3 series and you get clearly much more sportier car then competition.

These are much different times than when BMW 2002ti's were new and a Porsche 911S with 180 HP was an amazing performer.

The CAFE standards are driving BMW's current engine offerings.

Imagine the R&D money BMW spent moving from normally aspirated V10's and I6's five years ago to the current powerplants.

But the BMW 550ix is a solid GT with the M option and 400 HP.

They're pricey but what isn't these days.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
How about a 1 series coupe. Are they available in NA ? Very nice car, best BMW since e30 IMO.

That is not an option for me as primary car. Needs to have AWD (lot's of skiing, driving in blizzards on curvy roads etc).
Once I make more money, 235i or something like that as second car, yes.
Point is, BMW was always the one. No they are just trying to make too much money everywhere.
The 2-series is falls in-between the E36 & E46. The current 3 series has same interior space as the E39. This is fairly typical of most marquees.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverC6

These are much different times than when BMW 2002ti's were new and a Porsche 911S with 180 HP was an amazing performer.

The CAFE standards are driving BMW's current engine offerings.

Imagine the R&D money BMW spent moving from normally aspirated V10's and I6's five years ago to the current powerplants.

But the BMW 550ix is a solid GT with the M option and 400 HP.

They're pricey but what isn't these days.

I had 550i xDrive for 5 days several weeks ago. My friend is manager at BMW. Anyway, it is superb car, however it is HEAVY! It is 7 series in clothing of 5 series!

I would move to M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40. They are better for winter, plus much better overall then Castrol 5W40.

After 9k and 8 months of driving would the 5W40 Castrol lose viscosity and sheer to ~5W30 and have better cold performance than new 5W40?

That's a really good question, and I don't think it has really been answered.

SAE admits that cold temperature performance is an area that suffers in use, and what you have at the end of an OCI is definitely not what you started with...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back