M1 AFE 0W-20 7,354 miles 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the 3rd UOA for my 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 with the new 5.3 Ecotec3 V8. OLM was at 4%. Mostly highway driven (around 85%). Oil used was Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE. No make up oil was added and engine didn't appear to burn any. Filter was Fram Ultra XG10575. Previous two UOA's are with GM Dexos/AC Delco 0W-20.

I was hoping to see some of the wear levels decrease but not much changed. Iron is basically the same as the previous sample if you look at from a per mile basis. I can only assume copper is coming from the oil cooler.

TBN still looks strong. This is the first time I've done a TAN test. Would it be safe to say that 6.3 is about normal for this oil? I think we have confirmed that M1 0W-20 contains PAO and creates a high starting TAN?

As I have seen with most M1 0W-20 UOA's it does seem to have sheered a little. Still glad to see that fuel doesn't seem to be a problem with this DI engine.
14sierra_oil_report_11-6-14.jpg

I would venture to say a nice conventional may give you better results at two thirds the oci since clearly the concerns for Copper/Iron are still at the fore for you. Just a thought.

EDIT: This is a brand new vehicle... stay the course. This might all be break-in.

Hi,
gonefishing - It is always a good idea to look at the uptake rate (per km or mile) when comparing results. The actual distance is not shown for the Universal Averages so the Unit/Location Averages are meaningful for you - always remember that we are comparing uptake rates on Parts Per Million (PPM) - very very small amounts!

With higher miles and a better oil like Mobil 1, I am wondering why the levels are higher than with the AC Delco oil and lower miles. You would think that there would be more break in materials in the oil more early on.

Just keep an eye on it with the analysis from the next few intervals.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
With higher miles and a better oil like Mobil 1, I am wondering why the levels are higher than with the AC Delco oil and lower miles. You would think that there would be more break in materials in the oil more early on.

I believe the AC Delco is Mobil (blend).

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
gonefishing - It is always a good idea to look at the uptake rate (per km or mile) when comparing results. The actual distance is not shown for the Universal Averages so the Unit/Location Averages are meaningful for you - always remember that we are comparing uptake rates on Parts Per Million (PPM) - very very small amounts!

You're right, we tend to lose sight of that simple fact when looking at UOA's.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Correct. AC Delco Synthetic blend is made by ExxonMobil for GM.

Here is the article mentioning it:

Last edited:
I would venture to say a nice conventional may give you better results at two thirds the oci since clearly the concerns for Copper/Iron are still at the fore for you. Just a thought.

EDIT: This is a brand new vehicle... stay the course. This might all be break-in.

My truck's manual states that a Dexos1 approved 0W-20 must be used in this engine. This really doesn't leave any conventional oil options (some syn blends maybe). M1 0W-20 meets Dexos and is easy to get and relatively inexpensive.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Any opinions on the TAN?

Originally Posted By: gonefishing

My truck's manual states that a Dexos1 approved 0W-20 must be used in this engine. This really doesn't leave any conventional oil options (some syn blends maybe). M1 0W-20 meets Dexos and is easy to get and relatively inexpensive.

Any opinions on the TAN?

Stick with Mobil 1. It's a good quality oil and a decent step above the factory fill. Most importantly, it's Dexos 1 approved!

Last edited:
I hate the combined ppm of these so-called superbly machined and manufactured motors.

I'd try a 5w30 like M1 or M1 HM to see if it responds to visc.
Try a run of Mazda/Honda 0w20 to see if it responds to moly.
And, try Redline 0w20 to see if it wants a boutique oil.

100ppm wear here, 80ppm there, 90ppm wear everywhere.... self clearancing engine.

All wear metals tracked with mileage almost perfectly, except Aluminum.

Strong ending TBN, flash, viscosity in grade and nice low insols. I would be happy with this report
wink.gif

I would ask Blackstone what OCI the UA is based on for meaningful comparison.

I would be more interested to see the second report with the same oil (AFE), now that it has settled in.

Spent $100.00 to worry about metals that slowly drop! all seems good change the differential and trans oil and enjoy the truck drive like the nice truck it is.

GM engines just spit the metals. Not sure why GM can't make a low wearing engine like every other manufacturer. This UOA looks fine for a GM engine.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing

Any opinions on the TAN?

Stick with Mobil 1. It's a good quality oil and a decent step above the factory fill. Most importantly, it's Dexos 1 approved!

Absolutely, I missed the GM fact (pretty big miss
33.gif
) . Go with a dexos1 and forgive me for the poor, rushed advise.

Last edited:

Correct. AC Delco Synthetic blend is made by ExxonMobil for GM.

Here is the article mentioning it:

Very nice, thanks.

I asked Blackstone about the Universal Averages. They said it's currently based on 5,700 miles and "Since we haven't seen a lot of samples from this engine yet, that interval is bound to change a bit, but it shouldn't be long before we have a solid average file established".

Originally Posted By: badtlc
GM engines just spit the metals. Not sure why GM can't make a low wearing engine like every other manufacturer. This UOA looks fine for a GM engine.

They shed lots of metals for long periods of time. You can still get 300k+ miles from that 5.3 like the rest of the millions of fleet vehicles out there. What's the problem again?

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: badtlc

They shed lots of metals for long periods of time. You can still get 300k+ miles from that 5.3 like the rest of the millions of fleet vehicles out there. What's the problem again?

Why do you think it is a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back