Odd odor from MDX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the past week, I have noticed a strange smell coming from under my 2009 Acura MDX after driving. I looked underneath and found nothing unusual or anything leaking. The smell is similar to Round-up (I know, thats weird). In fact, I first noticed when I pulled into my driveway and thought my wife had sprayed Round-up. Its also similar to burnt popcorn, but not nearly as intense. It dissipates after 2 or 3 minutes. There is nothing stuck underneath, like a plastic bag stuck to the muffler and none of the calipers are stuck. I checked under the hood and it is not coming from the engine bay either. Anybody have any idea what this might be?

Could be a winter formulation of gas now in your local pump. How long has the current tank of gas been in there?

I used to live in NY and the winter gas from Chevron would make my Audi stink like rotten eggs. The smell was like you described, coming from under the car and only a few minutes after shut-down. Brand-shopping fuel got rid of it (Shell was the best in this regard). Different engines, computer settings, and cats will do this with various fuels.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Could be a winter formulation of gas now in your local pump. How long has the current tank of gas been in there?

Ahhh... you may be on to something. Filled up about a week ago and this tank of gas came from a different gas station than I normally use. And, yes, it does have a certain rotten egg smell to it.

I'd say a minor exhaust leak plus the new gas. Try spraying soap water on cold exhaust all over before you start the engine cold and check for bubbles.

Yeah run that gas out of there and fill up at your regular station. It could be the catalytic converter. If so there should still be an emissions warranty on it.

Originally Posted By: cwing6
Originally Posted By: Oro_O

Ahhh... you may be on to something. Filled up about a week ago and this tank of gas came from a different gas station than I normally use. And, yes, it does have a certain rotten egg smell to it.

High sulphur (poorly refined Gulf crude?) in the gas your cat does not like. Don't wait to burn it out. Refill/top-off now with a better grade/brand to dilute it. Repeat again when 1/2 gone. I understood what you meant about the Round-Up smell and it can be sulphur.

PS, if you like Round-up, but don't like the insane cost, buy the generic. This is what I get (and why i knew what you meant). This will make about 20 gallons of Round-Up for $15.:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Compare-N-Sav...75323/203112356

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back