I want a revolver

Status
Not open for further replies.
U will not regret buying a 38/357 revolver. You can shoot 38 all day and it won't beat u up. 357 will stop just about anything, even when hunting in your state (check local laws for handgun hunting). I owned a ruger sp101 and was a good revolver.

I am very much a semi-auto guy. 2 years ago I started spending a lot of time in Black Bear country, fishing and hiking. I've run across a few blackies already. I do have experience hunting them in Northwest Territories ad am familiar with how large they can get. Not often you get in trouble with them, but it can happen.

I felt undergunned with a Kahr PM40 and I sure don't want to carry anything heavy. So, for the first time ever I look into lightweight 357 revolver. I now have a Ruger LCR and a S&W M&P 340 both in 357. For the cost, the Ruger is hands down the winner. Trigger on Ruger is darn good as well. Overall, I really like the S&W much better though. Fit and finish are excellent. I dropped a WOLF spring kit in it to lighten up the pull.

It is very light weight, and a beast to handle with full power 357. BUT I have to admit, I carry it often now. Almost every day. It has won me over on semi-auto.

A long time revolver die hard semi auto's have slowly won me over, it only took two decades ha ha.

My favorite gun is still my Colt .357 however. Revolvers are just plain cool and more user friendly for the inexperienced than semi auto's IMO.

Revolvers are at a disadvantage for concealed carry, but for open carry or home defense/outdoor activity they rock.

The biggest advantage with a revolver, besides being able to handle misfires, is the learning aspect. Great gateway handguns for those that wish to learn how to shoot accurately. You can load only a couple of chambers, leave some empty, and practice smooth shooting by seeing what you do after you've pulled the trigger on an empty cylinder. Learn to banish that flinch.
.357's have the added advantage of being able to handle the lighter .38's. A cylinder full of .38's with a single hot .357 cartridge can be a great exercise in learning to use proper stance and smooth trigger pull. My wife can now throw .357's down at 20 yards with 3" group all day long, out of 4" barrel no less.

I broke down and bought a .357 Taurus Model 605 with the two inch barrel. Fun to shoot but after two loads at the range, my right hand is aching. KC, I actually use this gun more for concealed carry now than any other handgun I own. It's not too heavy and carries more wallop than the 9 mil I was carrying. Only drawback for me is less capacity, but honestly, if I needed more than five rounds in a self defense situation, I'd probably have much bigger problems to worry about. For home protection, I need just enough firepower for me to get to my shotgun.

Last edited:
Have a revolver taken away from you, or have a kid get hold of it and it's easy for the "new user" to figure out how to fire it. A semiauto with an empty chamber, safety on and with a grip safety like the 1911 in addition, not so much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sierra048
I broke down and bought a .357 Taurus Model 605 with the two inch barrel. Fun to shoot but after two loads at the range, my right hand is aching. KC, I actually use this gun more for concealed carry now than any other handgun I own. It's not too heavy and carries more wallop than the 9 mil I was carrying. Only drawback for me is less capacity, but honestly, if I needed more than five rounds in a self defense situation, I'd probably have much bigger problems to worry about. For home protection, I need just enough firepower for me to get to my shotgun.

Wow, way heavier and thicker than I would want to carry concealed on a regular basis but different strokes for different folks! I carry a Kahr .380 just about all the time now. Bigger Glocks for duty.

Touchy trigger and usually very inaccurate. Try to get a least a 5" barrel. It will help with recoil on a .357

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Stay away from the single action's

Why?

Anything from S&W or Ruger will out live you. If there is a problem, both companies stand behind the product. I own a 4 inch 686 because I felt it was the best overall package.

I have an old Ruger Security Six from the late 70's. Blued 6 inch model. Love it! Has a better trigger than the newer GP100's that replaced it.

I also have an Uberti Colt 1872 Open Top reproduction in 38 Long Colt/38 Special. Fun gun.

Buds has some model 64 police trade ins for less than $300.
Nothing beats old Smiths at low prices.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I like the old western look they have. I see that loading one will take longer than a gun with a magazine.

Any other reason not to get one?

I'm looking at a ruger .357,salesman says that it will also shoot .38. Any problem with that?
Nope. Shooting 357 for fun only teaches the shooter to flinch. Don't ask how I know! Single action is the Coyboy type revolver . The double action is like the Dirty Harry type. Either is nice depending what is fun for you to shoot.

An authentic cowboy style will be single action and they are fun.

My personal favorite revolver is my 8" heavy barrel Dan Wesson in 357. Extremely smooth and accurate.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
A 4" double-action 357 is a very versatile gun. It will never be out of style.

THIS-
I have wanted a 4" heavy barrel .357 with adjustables since the day I became a police officer. I couldnt find a 686 when I started working, and ended up going with a Glock. I STILL want a 4" .357 with a heavy barrel and adjustable sights, but now I am leaning towards a GP100. It has only been 16 years- I am sure I will get one eventually!

Guys- that day has come. I traded my .45 colt Blackhawk for a stainless 4" HB GP100 with adjustables. Had to throw in a little, but it is my bucket list revolver. Had to have it! Oh yeah- and what the heck happened in Ruger land? They figured out how to make a revolver with a nice trigger!

Last edited:
Put me into the Ruger GP-100 camp. I have taken the time to polish the hammer strut and the hammer pivot pin to a mirror shine, and installed a Wolf spring kit to reduce both the trigger and return spring without affecting function. Fun gun to shoot, the mass soaks up a lot of the recoil of full-house rounds.
If you decide to reload, you can load 357 brass from 38spl. power levels up to WOW, without the longer crud ring.
I also added a fiber optic front sight which came with 6 color tubes.
Not expensive new, easy to find used, just know how to check out a revolver. Ruger's Customer Service is known for excellent service.

Stay away from the single action's
Why?

Anything from S&W or Ruger will out live you. If there is a problem, both companies stand behind the product. I own a 4 inch 686 because I felt it was the best overall package.
Touchy trigger and usually very inaccurate. Try to get a least a 5" barrel. It will help with recoil on a .357

What single actions have you shot that were inaccurate? The Ruger Blackhawk I shot would hit anything the shooter could, and I didn't think the trigger was any different than my 686 in single action.

One of my favorite revolvers to shoot is the Colt King Cobra (4" barrel) in .357 Mag. Sweet shooter and accurate!

king%20cobra-7.jpg

My .357 is a King Cobra as well, 6" blue it is actually intimidating to look at. I was actually shopping for another Smith when the salesman handed me the Colt. End of story!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back