wife wants to trade in her car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't get rid of the PT just yet. It's a shame she hates it, but they are not bad cars.. The 2.4 is a strong engine and when taken care of they last a good while.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You already have a payment on a used car. You're looking to get a higher payment on an even more used car.

Glad to see you're back together, if at least for the kids. But iirc, she works at McDonald's and you're changing jobs.

I thnk a $3k beater is in order, after all, you have a new, reliable car. When you can pay cash and the car is no more than half your combined salary, then go for it.

Even if not for the debt, seems there are too many unknowns currently. Ultimately maybe it's a good idea, but if have her qualify and have the loan fully on her own. But right now I wouldn't.

Good advice.

If you're still making payments on an 11 year-old vehicle that holds value like a sieve, then you are not financially able to buy a newer car. Pay off the PT and save up for a better used car that you can afford.

NOTHING is worse for a relationship than financial issues. Having a car payment that takes away from other things you might like to do isn't healthy.

Ehhh shea only owned it for about a year. We had 3yrs to pay but have already almost paid it off completely. She jumped the gun when she bought it and rushed into it . Our payment however won't be but 12 more per month. That's something I can live with.

As long as you do your due diligence on the Accord and have it looked at by a mechanic it's a no brainer. Accord is more reliable, more refined, more efficient, easy to maintain/work on, is MUCH safer. 88k on an Accord = 57k on a PT anyway.

Who's currently paying for the PT and who's going to pay for the Accord. If she takes care of the payment, let her buy whatever she likes, nothing is worse than driving a car you hate.

If you are paying for the PT, on the other hand, well, I would not be to quick to change to a bigger car payment. Or let her take care of the difference.

The Accord is obviously the choice between the two cars.

The possibility that there are major repairs in store for the PT is a legitimate concern if the transmission has morning sickness.

But you really shouldn't be looking at it from a payment is $12 month more perspective, particularly if the PT is almost paid off. So how much is the Accord actually going to cost, how much longer will you have to pay on it. After the point the PT was going to be paid off the payment is the current payment + 12 more.

Sometimes it is helpful in these situations to sit down and make a list of pros and cons.

You're already making payments on an 11 year old car. Now you want to extend that when you're almost out of that debt? No question, going with the newer car makes no financial sense. You simply can't afford it.

If I remember correctly you're also deeply in debt on another new car, unless you somehow managed to pay it off. If your wife really wants to drive something nicer, then give her the new car and you take the older vehicle and drive it.

And if I remember even more correctly, you have a child-how much are you saving for college? How much do you have put away for the expenses that every kid has growing up? How much is in your rainy day fund? How much are you saving for your own retirement?

Keep the older car, pay it off, and continue to make those monthly payments to yourself. Put it in a vehicle fund that covers your cost of repairs on the current car and saves for a newer one when you can afford it. You're supposed to be a mechanic, so keeping the older car in good, reliable mechanical condition should be fairly inexpensive.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
You're already making payments on an 11 year old car. Now you want to extend that when you're almost out of that debt? No question, going with the newer car makes no financial sense. You simply can't afford it.

If I remember correctly you're also deeply in debt on another new car, unless you somehow managed to pay it off. If your wife really wants to drive something nicer, then give her the new car and you take the older vehicle and drive it.

And if I remember even more correctly, you have a child-how much are you saving for college? How much do you have put away for the expenses that every kid has growing up? How much is in your rainy day fund? How much are you saving for your own retirement?

Keep the older car, pay it off, and continue to make those monthly payments to yourself. Put it in a vehicle fund that covers your cost of repairs on the current car and saves for a newer one when you can afford it. You're supposed to be a mechanic, so keeping the older car in good, reliable mechanical condition should be fairly inexpensive.

We have a college fund and yes I have my own car that I am making payments on. Most people have cars they make payments on......what's the issue there? Keeping it up and running isn't a huge deal but on the other hand I don't want to be working on it constanly either I do it all day I don't really want to come home and do it some more. Especially on a pt. I also have a savings and a retirement fund. It is possible to make car payments and not be financially stupid.

While I agree with Pop-Rivit and the traditional BITOG crowd who will come on and say it is a poor financial decision, it is you and your wife's decision. Trading in a car never truly makes financial sense. Regardless, why be unhappy (or your wife) because of a couple of bucks? I willingly will trade in my cars when I am ready for a new car- don't need to justify it for any reason.

ref

Keep in mind that the'08-'12 Accord did not receive the warmest of receptions. Although still a very good car, it became bloated and had a cheapened interior. Fuel economy was also relatively poor. In terms of model evolution, it was considered a bit of a regression.

The PTs will easily run 200K, my wife has a 03 GT stick and loves it, has over 140K miles on it. I wouldnt waste the money to "upgrade" to an Accord with even more miles on it!

Unless the Accord is a V6 dont see where it is that much better.

Pay off the PT and keep saving so you can buy a new car cash and then keep the PT for a winter car, that is how you get ahead.

BTW if you want to make the PT auto shift better change the fluid and fitler and use Redline C+.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You already have a payment on a used car. You're looking to get a higher payment on an even more used car.

Glad to see you're back together, if at least for the kids. But iirc, she works at McDonald's and you're changing jobs.

I thnk a $3k beater is in order, after all, you have a new, reliable car. When you can pay cash and the car is no more than half your combined salary, then go for it.

Even if not for the debt, seems there are too many unknowns currently. Ultimately maybe it's a good idea, but if have her qualify and have the loan fully on her own. But right now I wouldn't.

Good advice.

If you're still making payments on an 11 year-old vehicle that holds value like a sieve, then you are not financially able to buy a newer car. Pay off the PT and save up for a better used car that you can afford.

NOTHING is worse for a relationship than financial issues. Having a car payment that takes away from other things you might like to do isn't healthy.

Ehhh shea only owned it for about a year. We had 3yrs to pay but have already almost paid it off completely. She jumped the gun when she bought it and rushed into it . Our payment however won't be but 12 more per month. That's something I can live with.

IMHO you should give your wife the new car and you drive/fix PT cruiser as needed. Warranties are not needed when you can fix vehicles.

I will only say wife/I make into the 6 figures and still own vehicles with 150k+ miles and newest is 2007. We CAN'T afford a new car and are debt free except for a mortgage where we own 50% equity in home.

...I have my own car that I am making payments on. ...

Ah, you own a new Focus.

Do that if she wants a new car, let her drive the Focus and you drive the PT. Once the PT is paid off start putting the payment in a "car account". Pretty soon you'll have a paid off PT cruiser that has at least some value, and some money for a better car or to help pay off the Focus. I'm probably a little old fashioned, but I feel like the girl should be driving the newer more reliable car anyway, since she is likely at a higher risk if stranded...

Really though, this is a decision for you and her to make together, not a bunch of faceless dudes on the internet... a large portion of which are skinflints...

Edit, ah she doesn't want the Focus, that is sort of hard to understand but I guess it can't be helped.

That being the case, after a frank conversation (I'd be a little concerned about how long she's going to be happy with the Accord) and assessment of the real cost, go for the Accord if you feel you can handle it. ( bears consideration if you can still handle it if she loses her job, or your new one doesn't work out so well.)

Last edited:
I offered her my focus who doesn't want it
R-M, cars are not your problem. I've been married for 47 years, my parents were married for 50 years. If you want some (free) advice Pm me and I'll send you my ph#. I just hate to see young people go down this road.

Good luck,

Wayne

Even if she doesn't want the Focus, I'd ask her to drive it for a few weeks, and then make a decision.

You drive the PT Cruiser for awhile, make an assessment on it's future while using it daily.

Who knows, if something pops up on the lot in that period of time, that she 'likes' more than the Accord.

She 'jumped' into the PT, who is to say she is making another rash decision with the Accord.

Bottom line, give it a bit of time.

I see this as a continued disfunctional relationship. She doesnt want the focus? Well she works at McDonalds (correct me if Im wrong) and you have two kids. She doesnt have much of a choice.

You say the payment is only $12 more, but for how much longer? You say the PT is nearly paid off. So youll take a sale hit on the PT, and then keep paying $12 more for how long?

Why not disclose the actual terms and total deal for the Accord if you want honest opinions?

If your situation was different, Id think it would be a smart move, even if debt was involved. I dont think youll get much higher MPGs, or that anything will be much better just because you buy a magic Honda. And the delta in acquisition cost (youre putting another $11k out of pocket, plus interest, on a higher mileage car) would pay for a LOT of repairs on the PT.

Youre in a relationship together and for your kids. You need to make the best composite decision, not just spend money on a whim because she doesnt like something. Especially since, no offense, but I dont trust that the relationship will last. I hope and pray that it will, but if you and she have tempers and youre not on the same page with stuff, even like this, then there may be a difficult road. And if you end up getting divorced, Id hate for you to be on the hook for part of the payment on two cars, even if its "only $12 more".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back