2004 Chevy 5.3 Lifter Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 04 Silverado with the 5.3 and ~90K miles. For the last year or so the lifters have started ticking about 500-100 miles after an oil change. I have flushed the motor a few times, ran Seafoam, ran Marvel Oil, etc and sure as shz about 500-1000 miles post oil change the lifters start ticking again. [censored]??

I recently tried 10w-30 instead of 5w-30 and at 650 miles the ticking starts again. I am now trying mobil 1 0w-30 and again no ticking after oil change.

Any suggestions?

I would try FRAM Ultra Guard XG3506 and Mobil1 0W40, or Rotella 5W40. What is your oil pressure with fresh oil change and when it starts ticking?

Last edited:
I was also thinking fuel dilution in the oil. It seems like the 10w-30 lasted a little longer than 5w-30 but I might be wishfully thinking.

I might have imagined it but thought I heard ticking right after recent change. I just changed the oil a few days ago with 0w-30 mobil 1 just to test the thicker oil theory. Jury is still out on the thinner oil. I was thinking maybe the 0W would flow better and not flow through the bypass as much prior to warmup. Does my oil system have a bypass?

Probably pull the valve cover, rocker arms, and push rods. Spray B12 in the push rods tubes and lifter as best as I can.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back