2014 Mazda 6 - Which AF maker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealer recommended CAF and engine AF change at 30k service for wife's 2014 Mazda 6 and quoted $60 and $50 for them. (I am guessing that's part+labor).

I can get both parts for about $25 and DIY those, so I told wife to decline for now.

My choices for ENGINE air filter at Rockauto:

PENTIUS $7.78
MAHLE $8.06
BECK/ARNLEY $9.01
HASTINGS $10.29
WIX $12.55

Which brand should I go with? (let's assume price is not a deciding factor) I know that CAF is not a very critical part, but, just wondering.

For CABIN air filter, Rockauto only has Wix. I guess that should be fine, huh?

All those are cheaper than Mazda OEM stuff anywhere.

And, don't waste the extra bucks on an "activated charcoal" version of the CAF. I'm sure it's fine for filtering dust, but it does zilch for odors from outside (i.e. diesel exhaust and dead skunks).

That air filter should be $19 at your dealer and the cabin filter should be around $25. The OEM filters are great.

Odds are though that your air filter does NOT need to be replaced. I have 35k on my Mazda3 OEM AF and it is fine and I live in a very dusty environment.

Hmm...
Guess I automatically assumed dealer/OEM will be more expensive.
I will check with them first before I go with an online source.
Thanks!

Dealer OEM source for parts: Mazdaparts.org

$19.49 Air Filter

$24.19 Cabin Air Filter

I will stick with OEM - they more consistently fit better than the aftermarket filters. Although personally I have had great success with WIX and Purolator for all my aftermarket filter needs. If you cross reference your part numbers from rockauto and look them up on Amazon you can find the filter often for less and with free shipping. Cheers

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
btw, Any ideas on who makes the OE/OEM cabin and engine AFs for 2014 and up SkyActiv Mazdas?

My 2012 just says Mazda on it, I think. Toyo Roki makes the oil filter so I would assume it is them.

OMG - local dealer's prices:
AF $28, CAF $36

Guess I will get OE or other online
frown.gif

Ok decided as:
Getting OEM Mazda A/F on Ebay: $24 - still $5 cheaper than dealer.(shipping incl.)

Getting Wix Cabin AF also on Ebay, $18 (shipping incl).

(Mazda OEM CAFs are still a bit cheaper on Ebay, but I am assuming CAF is a lot less critical than Engine AF, so non-OE is fine with me)

So Total comes to $42 shipped for both.

Mazdaparts.org is great, but shipping kills it. Getting both OEM there incl shipping comes to $55 total.

IDK if my thinking of needing to go with OEM for the A/F has any merit...
Sure could save about half of its price by going with Wix or similar ...

waiting for final feeback / suggestions before pulling trigger on OEM for Engine AF and Wix for CAF...

I'm replacing the AF with Fram and the CAF with microgard from Oreilly's. I think the Fram is $15 and the microgard is $10.

Regardless of the vehicle make, I default to OEM unless OEM has given me a significant reason to look elsewhere. As others have said prior in this thread, OEM consistently fits better and I usually perceive better materials/assembly with OEM parts (such as the rubber seal in the case of an air filter, etc). Other brands are probably fine, but for as often as you probably need to change an air filter (which is probably not yet; you and I live in the same town and I've got 50k on my air filters and they're still clean), I just buy OEM.

Now...for the cabin filter...I have used aftermarket, simply because I DO change those more often. I change them every summer in our cars due to the heavy pollen here. The cabin air filters seem to face more debris (such as pollen, bugs, dirt, etc) due to being high up in the ventilation system and "breathing" from the lower windscreen grille area.

I agree with Hokiefyd. Mazda has specials on filters and services and I use the specials to buy my factory filters (oil, engine & cabin), that way. I find they cost about 10% more than aftermarket. Ed

Thanks ! - So I guess I made the correct choice then, going with OEM Mazda for engine AF.
(CAF is Wix like i posted above, but I think it should be ok).
Will be ordering soon.

Sadly, my dealer has no specials on parts right now, and their prices are vastly higher than most other dealers for some reason. So I am going with EBay for the OEM AF and the Wicks CAF.

Last edited:
I prefer Mazda OEM and use the Mazda discount of $5 on purchases over $25 and $10 over $50. Can be found on the Mazda app on your smart phone and probably elsewhere. Ed

i like the oem air filters because they seem to fit best. I used the pureone in my fords because they fit well and seem to still be good quality. I know they are made by purolater but they seem to still be good

I paid $19.95 in Oct 2013 at a Mazda dealer in Florida for AF part no PE07-13-3A0A and $7.87 ea for a couple oil filters PE01-14-302A.

I don't know how much they are in Canada but I expect 50% more!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back