Pocket Pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cashmoney
It does have a long trigger pull but with some little practice it is very manageable, easy to shoot, and for me it is extremely accurate at 3-7 yards (which I consider max tactical distance for SD situation). If attacker is further away you should be running away or engaging with a long gun.

Fixed that for ya

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: wsar10
Originally Posted By: 2cool
I have had my LC9 for two years now, and I don't understand what has rusted on your Ruger LCP. The slide on mine is a black finish, the barrel is stainless (I believe), and the frame is polymer. I'm asking so that I can inspect my gun more carefully and find this rusting issue, then have Ruger fix it for me; just as they did within 2 weeks total for my SR40C. Never had an issue with the 10/22, so I don't know how that would go, but I suspect just as well.
I am very partial to Ruger products as I have found them to be well engineered, well made, and at a price I feel is fair. If you're within SE Pa commuting area and you REALLY want to rid yourself of that Ruger, PM me.

Sorry I have not checked in for a while.....
My 380 has rust spots that appear bi-weekly (if not oiled) where the holster touches it on the sides of the slide on the muzzle end. It's not damaging rust since I keep up with it, but I'v carried for many years and NEVER had to worry or even think about any of my GLOCK's rusting or the SS S&W I carried for 2 years.
I have several 10/22's and they seam equal to any othe rifle I own (other than my AK) in terms of rust, they must be oiled once a year, outside of normal handling. I love Ruger as well, just not for carry. I have a few 10/22's all modified to some level, Mini 14, (previously) Mini 30 and a MARK (2 or 3) 22 pistol. MARK pistol's are the most accurate pistol I have ever shot in my life !

Kinda off-topic, but have you had magazine malfunction issues with your Mini-30?

When I bought mine, Ruger was only offering 5-round magazines. Recently I bought a Ruger 20-round magazine, and it doesn't feed worth a dern, especially when loaded to capacity.

I've never had a problem with the 5-round mag that came with the rifle.

I shoot only the Russian steel-cases ammo (Tula, Wolf, etc.). To me, a rifle chambered in 7.62x39 is no good if you can't shoot cheap ammo through it, but, I digress...

Anyway, just wondering if you've had any problem with yours.

BTW, I inspected and cleaned it recently, and the gun wasn't dirty at all.

Yeah,
Who can afford to not shoot WOLF ammo.......

I can remember reading back in the day about allot of mag issues with the 30's. I personally used USA brand 30rnd mags in mine, I got a deal on 10 at a gun show and never had an issue.

Last edited:
I realize it may sound weird, but I use the LC9 for summer carry because it's markedly smaller than the SR40C that I carry in colder weather. Now I have to go down to the safe and have a look at the LC9. Thanks for the heads up, Wasr 10.

The S@W 642 and 442 are the jewels pocket pistols reliable easy to use reliable and with a pocket holster they fit in the front pocket so well. I have owned a Kahr PM9 for many years some say they are troublesome and some love them. I don't like how the rounds drop out of the magazine when in your pocket. I have tried at the range the XDS and the S@W shiels and over the years shot many of the Walther pp types and the mini 1911 types. In my opinion the finest in the class as far as the ease of shooting low felt recoil and ease of operation is the S@W Shield.

I've got my eye on the S&W 340PD. Scandium/aluminum alloy frame, titanium cylinder, 1.875" barrel, 11 oz.!

Imagine shooting full-house .357 MAG loads outta that one!

Bought a G42 last saturday and so far only put a box of mixed brands thru.
No issues at all, decent accuracy, very soft recoil. Its a little larger
than a lot of 380's but I carry OWB and local holster maker (Murph) in
China Grove NC makes some good stuff for $40.

I also carry a Ruger LCR with Plus-P's but may eventually shift to the G42 after
I've put a few hundred thru it to confirm reliability.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Bought a G42 last saturday and so far only put a box of mixed brands thru.
No issues at all, decent accuracy, very soft recoil. Its a little larger
than a lot of 380's but I carry OWB and local holster maker (Murph) in
China Grove NC makes some good stuff for $40.

I also carry a Ruger LCR with Plus-P's but may eventually shift to the G42 after
I've put a few hundred thru it to confirm reliability.

Very cool!

I held a G42 a couple of times. I have no doubt that it will be totally reliable for you.

Lots of folks have asked why Glock hasn't released a 9mm in this size. Well, there are rumors that one is on the way very soon. Frankly, Glock is missing out on a lot of sales by NOT offering a "micro-nine." But, I consider Glock to be similar to the Apple company, in that they typically don't release a product until it's refined to the Nth degree. Glock has a well-deserved rep for reliability, and the fact that they haven't released one yet tells me that they don't have it "perfected" yet.

Anyway, a little digression there, but go to YouTube and search "ShootingTheBull410." He's one of the better ammunition ballistics testers, and he has an entire series of videos where he tests .380 ammunition in search of the best performing round for that caliber. He also tests the Glock 42.

He also has a series where he tests a lot of different 9mm ammo in search of the best performance from a short-barreled pistol. i won't give away the results here...you'll have to go watch it!

My Ruger LCR in .357 Mag is by far the best concealed carry I've ever had.

Beautiful weapon. Extremely well built and designed. It's almost like it was made for my hand.

5 shots not enough for some? Well, I certainly feel it's enough. I can't imagine needing 15 rounds. If I can't hit my target at least a couple of times in 5 rounds....then I should just not carry a firearm. I don't intend on being in a firefight anyway. Plus....with .357, one hit and the target is toast.

I bought the Ruger Mitch Rosen LCR holster for it. Another stellar product! It's not only very attractive (Cuban brown leather), it fits the LCR perfectly....draws very well yet holds it firm....and it keeps very close to my body. Very comfortable. Smells good as well!!! Definitely a high quality holster.

Last edited:
I'm going to get a snubnose eventually to have as a carry option.

I like the S&W 340PD.

That is a nice looking revolver.

I do recall that many shooting reviews seemed to say that the Ruger LCR has an excellent stock trigger in comparison to most concealed carry revolvers. But I'm not a firearm expert.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
5 shots not enough for some? Well, I certainly feel it's enough. I can't imagine needing 15 rounds. If I can't hit my target at least a couple of times in 5 rounds....then I should just not carry a firearm. I don't intend on being in a firefight anyway. Plus....with .357, one hit and the target is toast.

You can probably argue that you should get at least ONE hit out of five on a target. Looking at data from LEO-involved shootings, even trained LEOs often don't best that hit rate nation-wide, but if you're very practiced in the art of shooting, you can probably get it done.

But it gets more problematic if there's more than one assailant. Or if it's a dynamic situation, such as if you're a customer in a store that is held up with gunfire.

There's no question that revolvers excel in reliability and that semi-autos excel in capacity. Which attribute are you more likely to need the most? I guess we all have to make that call for ourselves.

Remember, there have been many cases of perps being hit with multiple gunshots and not stopping their aggression.

Look up the Miami FBI-bank robber shootout in 1986, and the Officer Peter Soulis/Tim Palmer incident.

Remember, there have been many cases of perps being hit with multiple gunshots and not stopping their aggression.

Look up the Miami FBI-bank robber shootout in 1986, and the Officer Peter Soulis/Tim Palmer incident.

Absolutely true. They usually involve a drug crazed or emotionally disturbed individual, at which point there is likely little difference in effect with common carry calibers. Your best defense is as many shots on target as possible. The 9mm may be one of the better choices for that reason alone. JMO.

But yes I would still much rather have one of my Glock .40's over the Kahr .380 if facing a drug crazed attacker.

The Miami suspects had no drugs or alcohol in their systems. They were just extraordinarily determined not to be captured alive. What made those individuals so deadly was their military training - they offensively advanced against the LEOs instead of just maintaining a defensive position.

The other perp I mentioned supposedly had only a small amount of alcohol in his system.

You are definitely right, however, when you say that someone under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs can be much harder to stop.

I remember being astonished, watching an episode of COPS one time. A suspect was barely fazed by a Tazer, continuing to resist and fight officers. It took 2 or 3 officers, and the suspect being tazed multiple times, to be apprehended. He wasn't even a big guy - just wiry. After it was over, the officers commented on how strong he was. He was likely on crack cocaine.

Bottom line, you've gotta hit an attacker in a vital area in order to cause enough of a blood pressure drop to cause rapid loss of consciousness. Easiest way to do that is upper chest area (heart and/or aorta). Otherwise, you might luck up and hit a part of the nervous system that will take him out of the fight immediately (spine, brain). Note: We're talking about common pistol calibers here. Long guns actually have the power to kill almost instantly with one shot to the chest. (Look up some YouTube videos of dangerous African game animals being hit with powerful rifles. Many times, they are dead before they even hit the ground.)

There was a case in Georgia recently(I think) where one perp took 5 hits from a 38 special at close range to the face and neck and managed to get out of the house he broke in to, get in a car, and make it a ways before passing out from blood loss.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

You can probably argue that you should get at least ONE hit out of five on a target. Looking at data from LEO-involved shootings, even trained LEOs often don't best that hit rate nation-wide, but if you're very practiced in the art of shooting, you can probably get it done.

But it gets more problematic if there's more than one assailant. Or if it's a dynamic situation, such as if you're a customer in a store that is held up with gunfire.

There's no question that revolvers excel in reliability and that semi-autos excel in capacity. Which attribute are you more likely to need the most? I guess we all have to make that call for ourselves.

Given the circumstances of concealed carry, and the vast majority of situations I can guess at seeing myself involved with....for me, a revolver has enough capacity. If all things were equal, would I want more available rounds to send toward a threat? Sure. I've watched and read many differing accounts of how many hits and misses occur in given scenarios. It's a shock at how poor the shooting can get when you are consumed with fear. All I can say is that I'll do the best I can with the five rounds. I know that if I am missing a whole lot of times....I'd sure not want innocent bystanders getting hit from an abundance of a high capacity magazine.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
There was a case in Georgia recently(I think) where one perp took 5 hits from a 38 special at close range to the face and neck and managed to get out of the house he broke in to, get in a car, and make it a ways before passing out from blood loss.

Certainly rare...but it does happen. That's why I carry mine with .357.

I don't think a drug crazed person could withstand the effects of that kind of damage no matter how drugged out they were.

If you are interested in reading up on why accuracy can take such a plunge in combat and defense situations you should really look into the work of former West Point instructor Lt. Dave Grossman. I ran across him while researching SLA Marshall's work.

I don't think a drug crazed person could withstand the effects of that kind of damage no matter how drugged out they were.
It takes time to die if you only punch holes to let blood out and air in, An almost instant stops needs to hit vitals organs no matter which calibet.

Originally Posted By: CT8

It takes time to die if you only punch holes to let blood out and air in, An almost instant stops needs to hit vitals organs no matter which calibet.

I agree for the most part. But different slug designs, weights, calibers, and loads, all have an effect on even non-vital areas. I'd rather be hit in my buttocks with a .380FMJ than say a .357 JHP. Totally different results....vital organ or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back