Calamari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Ew.

But no disrespect to those that appreciate it.

I see your Ew and raise you a ngyahhh!

laugh.gif
That funny! I laughed hard this morning when I read this. It's ~5 a.m. and my wife must think I'm nuts!
laugh.gif

[Quote-29662]: Why do most people insist on calling SQUID by it's italian name. It's SQUID.

I am Italian! You can't tell from my typing but(I am told) that I speak broken english. I can't tell!
laugh.gif

Mangiare'

CB

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: 29662
Why do most people insist on calling SQUID by it's italian name. It's SQUID.

Maybe because calamari is actually a species of squid? Squid are larger and have small pointed flaps at the narrow end of their bodies. Calamari have long triangular wing-like flaps on either sides of the body. True calamari are much more tender than regular squid. I would have assumed, since you claim to cook it, that you'd actually know the difference.

While we're on the subject of things you don't know, the word "Italian" in your post should be capitalized, and the word "squid" does not need to be in capital letters.

Uh, no. Calamari or calamaro means "squid" in italian. It is not a specific species.

...soaked in buttermilk for at least half a day-the lactic acid in the buttermilk will prevent the squid from becoming tough and rubbery during cooking.

Agree, but I personally prefer grilled.

Does anyone else grill calimari mantle?

Why do most people insist on calling SQUID by it's italian name. It's SQUID.

Maybe because calamari is actually a species of squid? Squid are larger and have small pointed flaps at the narrow end of their bodies. Calamari have long triangular wing-like flaps on either sides of the body. True calamari are much more tender than regular squid. I would have assumed, since you claim to cook it, that you'd actually know the difference.

While we're on the subject of things you don't know, the word "Italian" in your post should be capitalized, and the word "squid" does not need to be in capital letters.

Uh, no. Calamari or calamaro means "squid" in italian. It is not a specific species.

Correct. Calamaro is singular and calamari is plural.

I took an adult ed class in introductory Spanish. One of the students asked the instructor what the Spanish word for "donut" is. The instructor indicated it was "donut". The student sat there in disbelief and repeated "The Spanish word for donut is donut?" The instructor indicated "yes."

I was tempted to ask the other student what the English word for "fajita" is.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I took an adult ed class in introductory Spanish. One of the students asked the instructor what the Spanish word for "donut" is. The instructor indicated it was "donut". The student sat there in disbelief and repeated "The Spanish word for donut is donut?" The instructor indicated "yes."

7 up esta sieta arriba no its 7 up . that is it I can't add any mas.

Well in Italian, donut is ciambella. Pronounced; "chambella". Some words can be translated and some just cant. That's just the way it is.

Now back to the calamari.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR

Well in Italian, donut is ciambella. Pronounced; "chambella". Some words can be translated and some just cant. That's just the way it is.

Now back to the calamari.

Very interesting! Is that, donut or fried dough?

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Donut, usually sprinkled with sugar. Surely there are different variants of ciambelle (plural) by region.

Indeed, and it's all good tasting too!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
We love squid. Here on Puget Sound,its just about prime time to start catching squid off the local piers.

Do you need fishing license to fish/catch squid in WA?

(*luv squid and would luv to be able to fish for some*)

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
We love squid. Here on Puget Sound,its just about prime time to start catching squid off the local piers.

Do you need fishing license to fish/catch squid in WA?

(*luv squid and would luv to be able to fish for some*)

Q.

Yes you need a $16 shellfish license. This license also allows you to harvest clams,oysters,scallops,etc.

ever tried calamari steaks? i've yet to see them retail, but we can get them at the restaurant. they are flat and of uniform thickness, about 6 inches by 4 inches. we usually cut them into "fries", soak them in buttermilk, toss them in seasoned flour (salt pepper old bay paprika) and fry. they are nice and tender and put a different twist on the usually "rings and tentacles".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back