Sidewall cracking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am finding that our tires, regardless of brand will often acquire some sidewall surface cracking in a short period of time(2-3 yrs). Even when the tires still have 7-8 32nds of tread remaining and no uneven wear!

I like to sell my used tires before they reach 1/5 tread and buy new tires. That's just me!

I have been recently selling my used, good condition tires(as stated above) on Craigslist with mostly good success. And, selling the tires at a very fair price w/o any sugar coating. I list them for exactly what they are!

I recently had buyers calling me wanting their money back(like, after 30 days) because their tire installer won't install the tires due to sidewall cracking. Or, as they're told..."dry rotting"!

I CAN only find, under the "damage/wear" in our NY State Inspection Laws that mention..."damage/wear" in excess of 1" in any direction that also shows the underlying structure of the tire...like scrubbing a curb! OR cracks that show the underlying structure. MY TIES DO NOT!

None of my tires are ever this bad considering they're only several yrs old with a good amount of tread remaining and the MFG date on the tires is still less than 5-6 yrs old.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here with tire shops not wanting to install "GOOD" used tires on a customers vehicle?

Other than the tire store wanting to sell their own tires for a profit(of course), why the refusal to install tires that had just recently passed the scrutiny of our STATE INSPECTION previously on another vehicle?

This has nothing to do with speed rating or size(all being equal).

Any comments would be helpful!

CB

Last edited:
They want to sell thier tires.

Or better yet have you replace all your tires then sell your tires to another driver.

About 5-6 years ago. My youngest desided he wanted to be a race car driver or something and put 2 flat spots on our brand new tires. Granted theses tires where not even a week old.

We called the shop we bought the tires from and explained the sitituation asked them to check if they still had our old tires since we needed to replace 2 of our 4 brand new tires.

They had them. I was at work and had the wife pick them up. They charged her $60.

Idk if this is common behavior among tire shops but I found it unacceptable.

We spent nearly $500 for tires at that shop not a week earlier and paid for thier "disposal" just so they could resale 2 of them to us a week later for $60.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
...Other than the tire store wanting to sell their own tires for a profit(of course),...

If as you describe, this is it. I suppose an as is, no warranty and no mounting guaranteed needs to be explicitly included in final sale.

Similar reason I'd assume many indy tire shops don't want to mount tires purchased on line, or charge a higher than usual fee for the service.

Live and learn.

This has nothing to do with speed rating or size(all being equal).

If not, then it probably has to do with liability. The tire store can say that they don't know the history of those used tires and will not accept the risk of installing them on a customer's car.

Other than the tire store wanting to sell their own tires for a profit(of course), why the refusal to install tires that had just recently passed the scrutiny of our STATE INSPECTION previously on another vehicle?

I think you answered your own question.

I could see liability being an issue as well (doesn't sound like that from what you describe) but if it was liability then I would think the policy would be not to mount any tires brought in by customers, regardless of what condition they look to be in).

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
They want to sell thier tires.

Or better yet have you replace all your tires then sell your tires to another driver.

About 5-6 years ago. My youngest desided he wanted to be a race car driver or something and put 2 flat spots on our brand new tires. Granted theses tires where not even a week old.

We called the shop we bought the tires from and explained the sitituation asked them to check if they still had our old tires since we needed to replace 2 of our 4 brand new tires.

They had them. I was at work and had the wife pick them up. They charged her $60.

Idk if this is common behavior among tire shops but I found it unacceptable.

We spent nearly $500 for tires at that shop not a week earlier and paid for thier "disposal" just so they could resale 2 of them to us a week later for $60.
That's why I NEVER let them have my old tires-if they can't be resold, it's dumpster time. Seen too many used virtually bald tires being resold locally, not paying to get rid of something they can resell.

"Sorry, I inspected the tires before sale and found them to be in fair, usable condition. You also had the opportunity to inspect the tires before money exchanged hands. All sales are final. If you don't like the tires, sell them on Craigslist, just like you bought them."

Don't let a Craigslist idiot ruin your day. I've sold a ton (hundreds) of items on Craigslist. The idiots call back a few days later wanting to keep the item and get a full refund because they found a small issue with the item. I always list my items 100% truthfully and list any problems with the item. People don't read anymore.

I sold a broken lawn mower with a broken engine once for parts. The deck was still good and usable. The "extremely" low price reflected that the mower was for parts and unusable as is. My ad even reflected this. And I even reiterated this fact when I sold it. Some idiot called a few days later wanting a full refund because it wouldn't start.

Thanks!
smile.gif

I have a decent independent tire store by me. They don't play the tire store 'games' that I've read about in this forum. Not as cheap as many(altho a listed service shop by Tire Rack) Gee, the only tires I've ever had with any sidewall issues are on some bias ply tires that are 35-40 years old sitting under an old parts car-they still hold air!? I do wipe on some of the 'tire foam' preservative soup once or twice a year on the cars tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back