Do axle spindles wear out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info. I have a lifetime alignment policy at Firestone, they have aligned it twice and not found any problems or had any trouble getting it aligned to specs. I did not really notice any of the one hand on the wheel vibration when I was coming home tonight, maybe that was from the out of spec bearing.

I did jack the truck up again when I got home from work today and it still has just a little play in the wheel at the 12 and 6:00 positions. I had it supported by the frame, though. I am off work for Veterans' Day tomorrow so will put the jack under the control arm and check it that way. I am no expert but I do know that no matter how you lift the truck there should be no play at all in the wheel. It should be tight to the hub. My left front wheel has no play or movement at all so I know something is wrong somewhere with the right wheel. I have a feeling I will be replacing both ball joints on that side very soon. I do not want to ruin another bearing.

Well the wheel has a very small amount of play in it when I grab it at 12 and 6:00 and rock back and forth with the truck lifted by the control arm. When I support the truck lifted by the frame, it seems to have almost twice as much movement as it does with the jack under the control arm. There is no movement when I rock the wheel at the 3 and 9:00 positions and no movement in and out from the hub. I don't know if this means bad ball joints or not and am welcome to any help here. Thanks.

You want to lift by the suspension arm when you test.

1/16 of an inch is the max play.

Thanks Dan. I have the truck on jack stands now, and no matter whether it is on the frame or control arm I still have movement in the wheel at 12 and 6:00. I have the Sport wheels with wide spokes in them and can grab the inside of the wheel itself at the 6 and 12:00 positions and get no movement at all. The play is there only when I test by grabbing the tire and it is more than 1/16", it is probably 1/8" or a little more than that. I believe either one or both ball joints are bad and the excess wear is what ruined my wheel bearing.

The uppers tend to wear more than than the lowers. I just changed mine last week due to play like you found.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Well the wheel has a very small amount of play in it when I grab it at 12 and 6:00 and rock back and forth with the truck lifted by the control arm. When I support the truck lifted by the frame, it seems to have almost twice as much movement as it does with the jack under the control arm.

^^ That sounds like a bad ball joint. You should be able to see where the play is. When you rock the wheel back and forth, other parts should be rocking along with it because the wheel is bolted to other parts. (The wheel is bolted to the hub, then the hub is bolted to the spindle, then the spindle is bolted to the control arms, etc, etc) So if you rock the wheel back and forth and the hub is moving along with the wheel but the spindle stays put, it's a bad bearing. If the spindle moves with the wheel and the control arms don't move, it's a bad ball joint(s). Just see where the play is.

If it's just the uppers Jimmy, they're easy. If they've been replaced before you just unbolt them and bolt the new ones on. Even if they haven't, you just drill them out and bolt in the new ones.

It took me about an hour a side and I wasn't hurrying on my '00Dak.

Yep I already replaced my OE ball joints, it was about 4 years ago. I put in TRW lowers and Duralast uppers, once I got the old ones out the new ones bolted in easily. I started to get into it today but need to do a little more research to find a good price on a good brand. If you don't mind me asking which brand did you use?

Moog.

I usually use either Moog or TRW.

Amazon had them for about $40 each. I got both for less than Advance wanted for one, even with the codes.

Last edited:
Well today I finally found time to R&R the ball joints. It went pretty well, no real hiccups with the job but the right front wheel still has a bit of movement in it when I rock it back and forth with one hand at the 12:00 and the other at the 6:00 positions. It is not quite as loose as before but still has too much play in the wheel. The left front wheel is fine. I can not think of anything else that could be the problem, other than the spindle is out of specs. The tie rod has no play in it, the hub is brand new and so are both ball joints.

I guess new ball joints caused some minor changes in the steering geometry. On my test drive the truck was pulling to the right and the steering wheel was a little off center. I am about to drop it off at Firestone to have the alignment done tomorrow. I have a lifetime alignment policy there, and maybe they can find out why I keep going through wheel bearings on just that right front wheel. I appreciate your help if anyone here has further ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back