Practice 1 07:00 - 08:30
Practice 2 11:00 - 12:30

Sat 08 November 2014
Practice 3 08:00 - 09:00
Qualifying 11:00

Sun 09 November 2014
Race 11:00

US TV Schedule
Friday, November 7 - 11:00 a.m. -- Brazilian Grand Prix - Practice #2 (NBCSN)
Saturday, November 8 - 11:00 a.m. -- Brazilian Grand Prix - Qualifying (CNBC)
Sunday, November 9 - 1:00 p.m. -- Brazilian Grand Prix - Race (NBC)

CIRCUIT INFO:

Lap data
Lap length 4.309km (2.677 miles)
Race laps 71
Race distance 305.909km (190.083 miles)
Pole position Right-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’11.473 (217.039 kph) by Juan Pablo Montoya, 2004
Fastest lap 1’09.822 (222.171 kph) by Rubens Barrichello, 2004
Maximum speed 310kph (192.625 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and Reta Oposta straight
Distance from grid to turn one 190m

Car performance
Full throttle 70%
Longest flat-out section 1394m
Downforce level High
Gear changes per lap 42
Fuel use per lap 1.9kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.057s

Strategy
Quickest complete pit stop in 2012 20.997s by Red Bull (see full list)
2013 prime tyre**: Hard (2012: Hard)
2013 option tyre**: Medium (2012: Medium)
*Fastest lap set during a Grand Prix
**Pirelli’s compounds are softer than those used in 2012

Data sources: FIA, Williams, Mercedes

19_Brazil_E_300DPI-886x498.jpg

Safety_Car_at_2006_Brazil.jpg

Hat tip to A2 on S2Ki for the content.

Formula 1, proof positive that without the right team, car and engine a driver has no chance. A car that can make Alonso an also-ran is a really bad car.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Formula 1, proof positive that without the right team, car and engine a driver has no chance. A car that can make Alonso an also-ran is a really bad car.

Well, I'd imagine the engine differences will be less next year, and perhaps Alonso will be a MacLaren driver?
Its hard to say exactly how much time difference a driver can make up. Seems like quite a bit looking at Alonso vs. Kimi and Riccardo vs. Vettel this year.
I like the engineering challenge of F1 too, but it is nice when the cars a little more even.
If you want a spec car series, watch IndyCar. I catch the odd race and there's quite a group that could win.

I'd like to see a series where the organization would give teams a restricter plate for about 600hp and a minimum weight of say 1,200 pounds with the appropriate safety regs and say have at it. Allow any engine, any size, any wheelbase, any track, no movable aerodynamics or ground effects and standard pump gasoline. This would bring some variety and possibly new sponsors to racing. You would not see similar cars chasing each other around the track waiting for someone to make the slightest mistake to make a pass and then never being able to pass again. You'd see real racing from the design to the construction to the pits to the track and you'd see changes in the race on every lap from the first place to the tail end. A season sponsor might even be someone like Apple as they get ready to announce their smart wrist watch that's coming out very soon. This would be the kind of racing that would appeal to the nerd as well as the beer drinkers and could easily be adapted to a fantasy league for the Las Vegas crowd.

I've run that racetrack a bunch of times, but a F1 simulator makes it another perspective, just too quick and easy. When you're there you see that the "S" of Senna is a very downhill double curbs, for example ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I'd like to see a series where the organization would give teams a restricter plate for about 600hp and a minimum weight of say 1,200 pounds with the appropriate safety regs and say have at it. Allow any engine, any size, any wheelbase, any track, no movable aerodynamics or ground effects and standard pump gasoline. This would bring some variety and possibly new sponsors to racing. You would not see similar cars chasing each other around the track waiting for someone to make the slightest mistake to make a pass and then never being able to pass again. You'd see real racing from the design to the construction to the pits to the track and you'd see changes in the race on every lap from the first place to the tail end. A season sponsor might even be someone like Apple as they get ready to announce their smart wrist watch that's coming out very soon. This would be the kind of racing that would appeal to the nerd as well as the beer drinkers and could easily be adapted to a fantasy league for the Las Vegas crowd.

The racing would suck. One team would get the engine and aero package right, and dominate. The next year, the other teams would spend 100 million on a new engine/aero package scraping the old one. The engine still might not be good enough, so the manufacturers end up leaving because the ROI isn't there.
How would one team running a V8 and another team running a V12 bring in more sponsors?

The teams with the most money would float to the top whilst the small teams would sink or stay away completely.

There's no question that F1 is broken the way it is now, but there is no simple fix to be found on an internet forum.

Good quali. Wonder if Lewis will play it safe and be content to follow Nico and potentially lock up the WDC by getting second (and then another second or better) or will he risk it all and try to get Nico for the win?

Well I screwed up and slept through the live airing of the race on CNBC. Woke up to my phone telling me who won. DVRing the NBC airing now and will watch it later.

I thought that the way that Massa's 5 second penalty was handled was somewhat creative but I suppose it must be legal since it was allowed.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
I thought that the way that Massa's 5 second penalty was handled was somewhat creative but I suppose it must be legal since it was allowed.

That's the way they do all the stop and go penalties now, they simply allow them to do it at the next pit stop. It's more fair since a 5 second stop and go penalty without a pit stop would end up costing the racer more like 20+ seconds.

Originally Posted By: Patman

That's the way they do all the stop and go penalties now, they simply allow them to do it at the next pit stop. It's more fair since a 5 second stop and go penalty without a pit stop would end up costing the racer more like 20+ seconds.

Every other racing series makes you do an additional stop. Is adding 5 seconds really much of a deterrent? The Mercedes cars could make up 5 seconds in 3-4 laps against other cars.

For reasons I can't figure out, my DVR didn't record either race on NBC. The pre and post race recorded, but no race..... I usually start watching about an hour after the start of the race so I can fast forward thru the commercials.

Exactly, but it makes for a more meaningful penalty if it is a separate stop and if it's the same for everyone is that not ok?

Originally Posted By: Patman

Right.
This is a recent change in F1. It used to be that you had to make a separate pit stop.

The other thing to know is that if you receive the penalty after your final pit-stop, they add 5 seconds to your final race time.

Those are weird rule changes. Don't you think that all that they achieve is to potentially confuse the spectator?

I like the new 5 second rule as its still a big deterrent, but doesn't destroy a drivers whole race for a small meaningless infraction.
You can be sure if I driver is flagrant about breaking a rule, they won't be just getting a 5 second penalty.

Let's also be clear that drive-through and stop/go penalties in the old-fashioned sense are still meted out for other offences...

Originally Posted By: FIA Sporting Regulations
16.3 The stewards may impose any one of the penalties below on any driver involved in an Incident:
a) A five second time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop at his pit for at least five seconds and then re-join the race. The relevant driver may however elect not to stop, provided he carries out no further pit stop before the end of the race. In such cases five seconds will be added to the elapsed race time of the driver concerned.
b) A drive-through penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane and re-join the race without stopping.
c) A ten second time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop at his pit for at least ten seconds and then re-join the race.
If either of the three penalties above are imposed during the last three laps, or after the end of a race, Article 16.4b) below will not apply and five seconds will be added to the elapsed race time of the driver concerned in the case of a) above, 20 seconds in the case of b) and 30 seconds in the case of c).
d) A time penalty
e) A reprimand.
If any of the five penalties above are imposed they shall not be subject to appeal.
f) A drop of any number of grid positions at the driver's next Event.
g) Exclusion from the results.
h) Suspension from the driver's next Event.

16.4 Should the stewards decide to impose either of the penalties under Article 16.3a), b) or c), the following procedure will be followed :
a) The stewards will give written notification of the penalty which has been imposed to the competitor concerned and will ensure that this information is also displayed on the official messaging system.
b) With the exception of Article 16.3a) above, from the time the stewards' decision is notified on the official messaging system the relevant driver may cross the Line on the track no more than twice before entering the pit lane and, in the case of a penalty under Article 16.3c), proceeding to his garage where he shall remain for the period of the time penalty.
However, unless the driver was already in the pit entry for the purpose of serving his penalty, he may not carry out the penalty after the safety car has been deployed. The number of times the driver crosses the Line behind the safety car will be added to the maximum number of times he may cross the Line on the track.
c) Whilst a car is stationary in the pit lane as a result of incurring a penalty under Article 16.3(a) above it may not be worked on until the car has been stationary for at least five seconds.
d) Whilst a car is stationary in the pit lane as a result of incurring a time penalty under Article 16.3(c) above it may not be worked on. However, if the engine stops it may be started after the time penalty period has elapsed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back