I want a revolver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the old western look they have. I see that loading one will take longer than a gun with a magazine.

Any other reason not to get one?

I'm looking at a ruger .357,salesman says that it will also shoot .38. Any problem with that?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I like the old western look they have. I see that loading one will take longer than a gun with a magazine.

Any other reason not to get one?

I'm looking at a ruger .357,salesman says that it will also shoot .38. Any problem with that?

But....loading the magazine itself takes time. Of course, you'd have one preloaded. I've seen guys with revolver speed loaders be able to reload actually FASTER than a semi-auto. Not easy though unless you practice all the time.

Ruger makes some of the better revolvers out there. Lots of western styled ones as well.

Reason not to get one? Well, if you are a high-tech kind of person and like the latest and greatest in handguns....then you may find a revolver antiquated. Also, semi-auto's have a capability of super high capacity.

Last edited:
I bought my wife a .357 for her first gun.

We looked at the Ruger GP100 (4" Barrel) - very nice, stout gun.

We ended up buying a S&W 696 (4" Barrel). Smoother trigger action and red ramp front sight for easier target acquisition.

6" barrels are a bit heavier but more accurate; they really look like what an old west gun slinger might have had.

Can't go wrong with either gun; they are a pleasure to shoot with .38 or .357 and made in USA (if that matters to you).

Even if you decide later to get a semi, you will still enjoy shooting this revolver; they are classics for good reason! Let us know how it goes!

What's your budget? Check out the Smith and Wesson performance center on Budsgunshop or check the S&W M686 Plus 7RD

61700_1.jpg

Last edited:

Here are mine, from left Ruger sp101 .357 2.25" inch barrel; Ruger GP100 .357 4 inch; S&W 642 .38 special.
Revolvers are way cool and a lot of fun.
What do you want the gun for? carry, range, home protect or just fun?

Last edited:
The only problem with a steady diet of .38 special in a .357 is the cartridges are shorter and can build up a crust of carbon in the cylinder making inserting .357 round difficult. No big deal and cleaning will remove it. I shoot a lot of both and have never had the issue.

I've got a few J-Frames and other revolvers. In Stainless, they look great! Some of the newer lightweight models are aluminum or titanium. I don't have any of these, and I think I now need one, hahahaha.

One thing, lightweight revolvers can have a really harsh kick. But, that's half the fun!

The 642 is aluminum frame and stainless cylinder/barrel. It is nice and light in a pocket and handles +p loads well. The lightweights with .357 are not practical IMO.
However the SP101 is a tank and shoots .357 very well, it is a heavy gun but I don't notice much weight difference between my Glock 26 and the SP with both fully loaded.

I am a fan of Ruger revolvers. I have owned Smith, Ruger and Taurus. The Rugers generally have heavier triggers, which you can fix inexpensively. The Smiths have weaker frames and other components, which you cannot fix. While in reality, unless you shoot frequently, with nothing but full bore .357 magnum rounds, the Smith will be fine, I like having a gun that can take anything out there without an issue, and will outlast my grandchildren.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
A 4" double-action 357 is a very versatile gun. It will never be out of style.

THIS-
I have wanted a 4" heavy barrel .357 with adjustables since the day I became a police officer. I couldnt find a 686 when I started working, and ended up going with a Glock. I STILL want a 4" .357 with a heavy barrel and adjustable sights, but now I am leaning towards a GP100. It has only been 16 years- I am sure I will get one eventually!

Originally Posted By: 95busa
Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
A 4" double-action 357 is a very versatile gun. It will never be out of style.

THIS-
I have wanted a 4" heavy barrel .357 with adjustables since the day I became a police officer. I couldnt find a 686 when I started working, and ended up going with a Glock. I STILL want a 4" .357 with a heavy barrel and adjustable sights, but now I am leaning towards a GP100. It has only been 16 years- I am sure I will get one eventually!

My GP 100 4inch is an awesome gun. A little big/heavy for ccw but that is not what I use it for. I had the big houge grip on it awhile and then realized it was not needed and put the stock grip back on. It will handle .357 rounds all day everyday with ease. If you buy a new GP they come with houge grips now as the company that made the others is out of business, the original style can be had online though from Altamont grips.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
The only problem with a steady diet of .38 special in a .357 is the cartridges are shorter and can build up a crust of carbon in the cylinder making inserting .357 round difficult. No big deal and cleaning will remove it. I shoot a lot of both and have never had the issue.

Came here to post this.

My only problem with revolvers is you never can just have just one. I love Ruger. But my favorite target shooter is my Colt Trooper III that I rebuilt and resprung. Perfect target trigger in SA. A poor man's Python!

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Stay away from the single action's

Why?

Anything from S&W or Ruger will out live you. If there is a problem, both companies stand behind the product. I own a 4 inch 686 because I felt it was the best overall package.

I'm not sure exactly what the model number is. Its a double action which I do want.

I do have my grandfather's colt 1903-.32 but its unreliable.

The guns at the store are $650 new and $350 used. Looking at a new looking used gun.

Plus I have to jump through the California designed hoops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back