New To BMW and Synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is less valvetrain noise after I put in LL-01 Castrol 5W40. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I don't think the car had the correct oil in it when I got it.

Actually I couldn't find M1 0W40 in big jugs at major stores. There is Royal Purple, but not M1 0W40, it's bizzare.

Update.

I've got about 8000 km on the oil. The car didn't burn any oil in that time. The level seems to be the same as when I filled it up. I've done the valve cover gasket and VANOS seals on the engine as well. The engine is clean with no sludge. Would you change the oil earlier after doing a valve cover/VANOS job due to possibility of contaminants being introduced or is that just being OCD?

What would be a good OCI for Castrol Edge 5W40? I was initially planning on doing 10,000 km OCI but winter is coming up and I don't feel like changing the oil in the winter. I also don't want to needlessly change it too soon. The factory interval is 25,000 km, which most people agree is too long, so I was thinking about doing half of that 12,500 km. I do 95% city driving though. My commute is 10 km long. The car is fully warmed up about half-way through it. Checked this through the hidden ODB function in the dash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Update.

I've got about 8000 km on the oil. The car didn't burn any oil in that time. The level seems to be the same as when I filled it up. I've done the valve cover gasket and VANOS seals on the engine as well. The engine is clean with no sludge. Would you change the oil earlier after doing a valve cover/VANOS job due to possibility of contaminants being introduced or is that just being OCD?

What would be a good OCI for Castrol Edge 5W40? I was initially planning on doing 10,000 km OCI but winter is coming up and I don't feel like changing the oil in the winter. I also don't want to needlessly change it too soon. The factory interval is 25,000 km, which most people agree is too long, so I was thinking about doing half of that 12,500 km. I do 95% city driving though. My commute is 10 km long. The car is fully warmed up about half-way through it. Checked this through the hidden ODB function in the dash.

I would move to M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40. They are better for winter, plus much better overall then Castrol 5W40.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Checked this through the hidden ODB function in the dash.

Sorry to be out of topic, but could explain how you do this?

Thanks.

I don't know about the E90 but on the E46 it works like this:

Quote:
1. Hold Trip Reset while turning ignition key to on position
2. OBC should show "Test"
3. Use Trip Reset to select function 19.0 that unlocks all the features
3. Wait for display to show "Off"
4. Depress Trip Reset for 1/4 second and release it
5. With no delay press Trip Reset several times to select one of the following function s

BMW E46 On-Board Computer (OBC) Hidden Codes
nr example description
1 Car Engine and cluster data
1.0 46nnn Chassis nr/VIN serial number (last 5 digits)
1.1 4nnn K-number
1.2 690236 Cluster Part #
1.3 045210 Coding (04)/diagnosis (52)/bus index (10)
1.4 1200 Week (12)/year of manufacture (2000)
1.5 09_160 Hardware (09) and software # (16.0) of cluster
1.6 Not used
1.7 04__44 CAN-version (04) KI-revision index (44)
2 (test) Cluster System Test - Activates the gauge drivers,
indicators and LEDs to confirm function
3 SI Data
3.0 1098 Used fuel in liters since last SI (Service Inspection)
3.1 0231 Periodic inspection days; elapsed days (since last SI)
4 Momentary Consumption
4.0 0145+ Instant fuel consumption - 0145=14.5 liters/100km
4.1 0018 Instant fuel consumption - 0018=1.8 l/Hour
5 Distance Gone Consumption
5.0 082 Average mileage; 082=8.2 liters/100km
5.1 0536 Calc. km to refuel (momentary distance to go)
6 Fuel Level sensor inputs in liters
6.0 109330+ Fuel level averaged; Left half sensor input=10.9 liters; Right sensor input=33.0 liters
6.1 0439+ Total tank level averaged; vlgs 6.0: 10.9+33.0=43.9 liters
6.2 0442+ Indicated value (44.2) and tank phase
7 Temperature and Speed
7.0 021+ Coolant/Engine temperature (2.1C)
7.1 130 Ambient/Outside temperature - chg met 5 pts. 125/130/135
7.2 + Engine speed / Current RPMs 1/min
7.3 + Vehicle speed / Current Speed in km/hour
8 Input value in HEX form
8.0 1d0+ System voltage ADC-Value Hex code
8.1 26C33C+ ADC Values HG left/HG right
8.2 0000 ADC Value brake degradation sensor (000=o.k.)
8.3 18C ADC Value outside temperature
9 Battery
9.0 140 Battery Voltage - 140 = UB 14.0v
9.1 242013+?
9.2 074_78+?
9.3 0011+?
10 Not used
11 Not used
12 Not used
13 GonG Gong Test
14 Not used
15 Status cluster I/O-ports (bit codes) 0=low; 1=high
1st-belt contact, seat belt fastened=0; 2) ignition lock contact, key inserted=0; 3) door contact, door open=0; 4) clock button pressed=0; 5) SI reset=0, for reset=0; 6) EGS transmission failure=0
Status Digital Outputs (bits) 0=inactive, 1=active
1) Gong output; 2) Brake warning lamp; 3) Low fuel warning lamp; 4) EGA lamp; 5) seat belt lamp; 6) manipulation dot
16 Not used
17 Not used
18 Not used
19 Lock Status; unlocks functions in range 3-18
19.0 L-On/L-Off Unlock: press button when "L-Off"
20 Not used
21 Software Reset; reset OBC settings
00 End of test

So you hold the button so it says test, then press it until you get number 19 to unlock it, then press it until you get number 7 to check coolant temp.

It's great for diagnosing cooling system problems. On the E46 the temp gauge is actually buffered so it will read 12 o-clock when the coolant is around ~75 celcius, but the coolant is fully warmed up at ~95 degrees (thermostat opens).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
I would move to M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40. They are better for winter, plus much better overall then Castrol 5W40.

It is, but the 5W40 was so cheap I initially bought enough for a 2nd change.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Checked this through the hidden ODB function in the dash.

Sorry to be out of topic, but could explain how you do this?

Thanks.

I don't know about the E90 but on the E46 it works like this:

Quote:
1. Hold Trip Reset while turning ignition key to on position
2. OBC should show "Test"
3. Use Trip Reset to select function 19.0 that unlocks all the features
3. Wait for display to show "Off"
4. Depress Trip Reset for 1/4 second and release it
5. With no delay press Trip Reset several times to select one of the following function s

BMW E46 On-Board Computer (OBC) Hidden Codes
nr example description
1 Car Engine and cluster data
1.0 46nnn Chassis nr/VIN serial number (last 5 digits)
1.1 4nnn K-number
1.2 690236 Cluster Part #
1.3 045210 Coding (04)/diagnosis (52)/bus index (10)
1.4 1200 Week (12)/year of manufacture (2000)
1.5 09_160 Hardware (09) and software # (16.0) of cluster
1.6 Not used
1.7 04__44 CAN-version (04) KI-revision index (44)
2 (test) Cluster System Test - Activates the gauge drivers,
indicators and LEDs to confirm function
3 SI Data
3.0 1098 Used fuel in liters since last SI (Service Inspection)
3.1 0231 Periodic inspection days; elapsed days (since last SI)
4 Momentary Consumption
4.0 0145+ Instant fuel consumption - 0145=14.5 liters/100km
4.1 0018 Instant fuel consumption - 0018=1.8 l/Hour
5 Distance Gone Consumption
5.0 082 Average mileage; 082=8.2 liters/100km
5.1 0536 Calc. km to refuel (momentary distance to go)
6 Fuel Level sensor inputs in liters
6.0 109330+ Fuel level averaged; Left half sensor input=10.9 liters; Right sensor input=33.0 liters
6.1 0439+ Total tank level averaged; vlgs 6.0: 10.9+33.0=43.9 liters
6.2 0442+ Indicated value (44.2) and tank phase
7 Temperature and Speed
7.0 021+ Coolant/Engine temperature (2.1C)
7.1 130 Ambient/Outside temperature - chg met 5 pts. 125/130/135
7.2 + Engine speed / Current RPMs 1/min
7.3 + Vehicle speed / Current Speed in km/hour
8 Input value in HEX form
8.0 1d0+ System voltage ADC-Value Hex code
8.1 26C33C+ ADC Values HG left/HG right
8.2 0000 ADC Value brake degradation sensor (000=o.k.)
8.3 18C ADC Value outside temperature
9 Battery
9.0 140 Battery Voltage - 140 = UB 14.0v
9.1 242013+?
9.2 074_78+?
9.3 0011+?
10 Not used
11 Not used
12 Not used
13 GonG Gong Test
14 Not used
15 Status cluster I/O-ports (bit codes) 0=low; 1=high
1st-belt contact, seat belt fastened=0; 2) ignition lock contact, key inserted=0; 3) door contact, door open=0; 4) clock button pressed=0; 5) SI reset=0, for reset=0; 6) EGS transmission failure=0
Status Digital Outputs (bits) 0=inactive, 1=active
1) Gong output; 2) Brake warning lamp; 3) Low fuel warning lamp; 4) EGA lamp; 5) seat belt lamp; 6) manipulation dot
16 Not used
17 Not used
18 Not used
19 Lock Status; unlocks functions in range 3-18
19.0 L-On/L-Off Unlock: press button when "L-Off"
20 Not used
21 Software Reset; reset OBC settings
00 End of test

So you hold the button so it says test, then press it until you get number 19 to unlock it, then press it until you get number 7 to check coolant temp.

It's great for diagnosing cooling system problems. On the E46 the temp gauge is actually buffered so it will read 12 o-clock when the coolant is around ~75 celcius, but the coolant is fully warmed up at ~95 degrees (thermostat opens).

I will never understand why BMW's as "ultimate Driving Machines" stop using coolant gauge and oil dipstick? I just cannot understand that that saves so much money.
I love bimmers, that is car that I first fell in love. I am on the market now to by AWD sport sedan, and I think I will buy A4 (probably S4) just because there is coolant gauge and place to install oil dipstick.
If they are building ultimate driving machine, I would think that audience is someone that likes to do some stuff with the car, or they also started to target soccer mom's primarily?

Last edited:
It is, but the 5W40 was so cheap I initially bought enough for a 2nd change.

Now that the Castrol 0w-40 is available in jugs in Canada, watch for specials. It'll tend to drop as low as other Castrol grades. Getting the M1 0w-40 at a good price will be a little more challenging.

I will never understand why BMW's as "ultimate Driving Machines" stop using coolant gauge and oil dipstick?

Because 99% of the people that buy them don't know or care about these things. Over the years we have seen the disappearance of voltmeters, oil pressure gauges, oil temperature gauges, ammeters and so on. This is stuff you really don't need to know about in order to drive the car. It doesn't mean these things are ignored - the ECU is constantly monitoring them and if any parameter becomes an issue it will warn you via the dashboard display. The same goes for coolant temperature gauges.

You may or may not know that for many years, temperature gauges have been mostly decorative. They don't tell you a temperature, they are an "everything is OK" gauge, that shows a steady, mid-range value regardless of the real temperature. Only if the temp is above or below certain values will the gauge do anything different. This is the same as having a warning light or message on the dashboard, so simply remove the gauge, save some money, reduce the data input load on the driver and let the ECU deal with it.

I had a 2007 BMW 130i for 3 years. At first I noticed the missing coolant gauge and dipstick. Then I forgot about it and it never once caused any problem. The ECU limits revs when cold, plus I am somewhat mechanically-sympathetic, so no issue there. The engine never overheated, so no issue there. The oil level can be interrogated through the dashboard so you can top up as required. You rely on a sender and gauge for the fuel - do you miss dipping for level on that? And if you take the "I never rely on gauges and sensors" approach, then never get on a passenger aircraft.

Originally Posted By: weasley
I will never understand why BMW's as "ultimate Driving Machines" stop using coolant gauge and oil dipstick?

Because 99% of the people that buy them don't know or care about these things. Over the years we have seen the disappearance of voltmeters, oil pressure gauges, oil temperature gauges, ammeters and so on. This is stuff you really don't need to know about in order to drive the car. It doesn't mean these things are ignored - the ECU is constantly monitoring them and if any parameter becomes an issue it will warn you via the dashboard display. The same goes for coolant temperature gauges.

You may or may not know that for many years, temperature gauges have been mostly decorative. They don't tell you a temperature, they are an "everything is OK" gauge, that shows a steady, mid-range value regardless of the real temperature. Only if the temp is above or below certain values will the gauge do anything different. This is the same as having a warning light or message on the dashboard, so simply remove the gauge, save some money, reduce the data input load on the driver and let the ECU deal with it.

I had a 2007 BMW 130i for 3 years. At first I noticed the missing coolant gauge and dipstick. Then I forgot about it and it never once caused any problem. The ECU limits revs when cold, plus I am somewhat mechanically-sympathetic, so no issue there. The engine never overheated, so no issue there. The oil level can be interrogated through the dashboard so you can top up as required. You rely on a sender and gauge for the fuel - do you miss dipping for level on that? And if you take the "I never rely on gauges and sensors" approach, then never get on a passenger aircraft.

You see for me oildipstick is important bcs. i do not want to drive 20min before iDrive tells me everything is OK. As far as I heard BMW did not built sensor that cannot break? Tell me if I am wrong. Last time I checked oildipstick does not have electrical sensor.
Also, coolant gauge does not tell you exact temp of every part of the engine, but IT WILL TELL YOU IF water pump goes away, or thermostat gets stuck (and water pump is something that BMW had issues with for years).
Do I need to know oil temp? Yes, actually I do. Kudos to BMW for installing oil temp gauge, now they need to figure out coolant gauge they forgot in E46 as well as oil dipstick.
In the end, what is next? Driverless ultimate driving machine?

You see for me oildipstick is important bcs. i do not want to drive 20min before iDrive tells me everything is OK. As far as I heard BMW did not built sensor that cannot break? Tell me if I am wrong. Last time I checked oildipstick does not have electrical sensor.
Also, coolant gauge does not tell you exact temp of every part of the engine, but IT WILL TELL YOU IF water pump goes away, or thermostat gets stuck (and water pump is something that BMW had issues with for years).
Do I need to know oil temp? Yes, actually I do. Kudos to BMW for installing oil temp gauge, now they need to figure out coolant gauge they forgot in E46 as well as oil dipstick.

The coolant gauge in the E46 was buffered as well. Since about '06 BMW'S go into limp mode if the water pump goes out and will give you a warning prior to actual failure.

At least the turbo cars have an oil temp gauge.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

The coolant gauge in the E46 was buffered as well. Since about '06 BMW'S go into limp mode if the water pump goes out and will give you a warning prior to actual failure.

At least the turbo cars have an oil temp gauge.

Yeah, but my point is I do not want to drive Play Station, but a car. You know, I wake up every Sunday, open the hood, check oil, lick oil dipstick
smile.gif
check washer fluid, pressure in tires. Now, if I did not what to do it, I would buy f...... Lexus.
That is why I will buy Audi, since it seems it is more driving car now than BMW.

That is why I will buy Audi, since it seems it is more driving car now than BMW.

Not even close.....

A dipstick doesn't make a car a "driver's car."

Blistering performance and consummate engineering does.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Not even close.....

A dipstick doesn't make a car a "driver's car."

Blistering performance and consummate engineering does.

Agree! However as I said, I was always biggest fan of BMW, but
1. I cannot hide fact that for example A6 is some 500+lbs lighter then BMW.
2. That A6 as a package is more complete car.

Granted:
BMW has engine pushed more behind axle, and that it is inline 6 if we are talking about 6-cyl engines.
But, when I see numbers, it seems that now Audi's are constantly ahead. I recently had opportunity too drive for several days 535i xDrive, A4, 328i xDrive. While I think 3 series is definitely ahead of A4, 5-series leaves me disappointed. There is no blistering performance, while A6 3.0T really feels powerful and light weighted.
I always considered Audi more expensive VW. However I think they get their stuff together, while BMW has issues within family, of people who are traditionalists and people who are pushing for different consumers.
I agree oil dipstick does not make car more or less driver oriented, but someone who is DYI guy? Those small stuff are just too irritating.
My perfect BMW right now?
Take out GPS, that [censored] eco whatever that illuminates different colors that show current consumption, take out backup camera, just leave SAT radio for long trips. Give me coolant temp, oil temp, oil dipstick and 3.0 liter turbo, and I will immediately buy that car.

Edy , if performance and handling are your priorities then consider Maserati Ghibli. It's probably best sport saloon car of today. It will cost more to maintain though, but it will have better resale value also. Then there is also a cool factor involved when driving an Maserati.

Granted:
BMW has engine pushed more behind axle, and that it is inline 6 if we are talking about 6-cyl engines.
But, when I see numbers, it seems that now Audi's are constantly ahead. I recently had opportunity too drive for several days 535i xDrive, A4, 328i xDrive. While I think 3 series is definitely ahead of A4, 5-series leaves me disappointed. There is no blistering performance, while A6 3.0T really feels powerful and light weighted.
I always considered Audi more expensive VW. However I think they get their stuff together, while BMW has issues within family, of people who are traditionalists and people who are pushing for different consumers.
I agree oil dipstick does not make car more or less driver oriented, but someone who is DYI guy? Those small stuff are just too irritating.
Take out GPS, that [censored] eco whatever that illuminates different colors that show current consumption, take out backup camera, just leave SAT radio for long trips. Give me coolant temp, oil temp, oil dipstick and 3.0 liter turbo, and I will immediately buy that car.

Take a BMW M4 Coupe out and let me know what you think.

And if you need something with more doors, my wife's BMW 550IX with the M option does a nice job too.

And then there is the M6 to consider.

It will leave you overwhelmed and unable to spell Aodui, Auodi, Au.... you get my point.

Granted:

And if you need something with more doors, my wife's BMW 550IX with the M option does a nice job too.

It will leave you overwhelmed and unable to spell Aodui, Auodi, Au.... you get my point.

BMW did not became famous by making big V8 twinturbo engines, but making 2002ti, E30 etc.
You missing my point. I like BMW more then Audi, but they lost that nitche, where you buy small 3 series and you get clearly much more sportier car then competition.
BMW 550i xDrive? Seriously.

Well the base A6 has four cylinder, front wheel drive, and CVT. That sounds more like an Altima than an Audi.

Granted:

BMW did not became famous by making big V8 twinturbo engines, but making 2002ti, E30 etc.
You missing my point. I like BMW more then Audi, but they lost that nitche, where you buy small 3 series and you get clearly much more sportier car then competition.
BMW 550i xDrive? Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back