Firestone winterforce uv, best of the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone out there find a snow tire they like more than the firestone winterforce uv? In the same price range at least. Looking at some 265/75/16s on the f150

Very happy with winter force on the Odyssey and 05 Accord.. This will be their 5th season

The others cars in sig have the Altimax... No complaints there, either

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The Winterforce are at the bottom end of the snow tire segment.

Better than an all season.

This. Compare prices to the Nokian Hakkapeliitta, which I've found to be the absolute best.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

This. Compare prices to the Nokian Hakkapeliitta, which I've found to be the absolute best.

I'm (hopefully) replacing my Winterforce with Hakkas next winter!

They got me through some serious CNY storms in my first car, a rear wheel drive Volvo. I got them factory-studded and it was pretty impressive. Cruising up 81 while the usual Escalades were scattered around the median was always fun.

They got me through some serious CNY storms in my first car, a rear wheel drive Volvo. I got them factory-studded and it was pretty impressive. Cruising up 81 while the usual Escalades were scattered around the median was always fun.

That usually my drive home on a snowy day! Well I have learned to take surface streets in the snow

I used to travel 81/481 between Binghamton and Oswego. That was always fun during the winter, but my RWD Volvo and Hakkapeliittas got me through it every time.

Consumer Reports has them 1 from the bottom, the worst being Cooper Discoverer M+S
wink.gif

But yes, better than all season. Spend the extra couple $ for the General.

Just so you guys know, I'm not big on caring how they do on plowed roads, I've drove plowed roads on bald summer tires, I care about deep snow performance (1-2 feet) because I do a lot of driving off road plus I usually don't have the Time to plow before work and hate getting stuck in my own driveway and having to pull whatever vehicle it is out with my plow truck

If you only care about deep snow, then the Winterforce will do fine.

Their shortfall is on slippery / icy surfaces - the studs help, but they aren't the best there.

If you only care about deep snow, then the Winterforce will do fine.

Their shortfall is on slippery / icy surfaces - the studs help, but they aren't the best there.

This is the key. Winterforces are also loud and will hurt gas mileage noticeably.

IMO, anything that's offered as a studdable tire should be run studded. Running it un-studded gives up a lot on hardpack and ice. If you don't want studs, get something designed to be a studless tire.

If you're only worried about very deep snow and don't care about road or ice worthiness, get mud terrain or all terrain tires with maximum tread depth that can dig through the deep stuff.

Something like the Mastercraft Courser C/T should do it.

One thing you might do is read the TESTS on the Tirerack website to see what they say.
I'm talking about the tests that their staff does where they compare different tires on the same vehicle.
They rate performance in each category..deep snow, ice, dry road, etc.
You can also compare prices between LOTS of different tires.
What works well on a car may not work well on your truck so you have to take that into consideration when reading reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back