The new VW 1.8T...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow BITOGer's, hope you all had a good day! Just want some opinions here, my girlfriend has a 2014 Jetta with the new 1.8T. Wondering what your thoughts are of this vehicle. I dont know a whole lot about VW. I know historically speaking they have not been known for reliability but if I am correct this new 1.8 is based of the gas 2.0T which has been around for some time and overall has been pretty trouble free. She has the SE model with the automatic transmission. What kind of "life expectancy" do these VW's typically have before they become money pits? How do VW auto transmissions hold up, this one has the regular 6 speed auto NON dsg. Also, I am very unfamiliar with turbo'ed engines. How long do turbos usually hold up? I do like the car, it behaves very well for a car in its class, has great torque and good MPG's. As far as oil and OCI's go, I'm not sure I like the 10K OCI with an engine that has direct injection and a turbo, seems like VW is asking for trouble there. It has around 3K miles and it has consumed a quart of oil already, but its still in the break in period so as of now I suppose its nothing to worry about.

Modern oil and water-cooled turbos should hold up for quite a long time. 200-250k miles would be my guess. That's assuming regular oil changes using a quality oil. Can't skimp on the oil or run longer, as turbos are not tolerant of neglect.

Is the VW recommended oil a full synthetic? And, how large is the sump? A 6-liter sump should have little to no issue going 10k miles. A 4 liter sump will very probably have issues going that long, even with a full syn oil. Only way to tell if 10k is too long is to pull a sample and have it analyzed. My Chevy's turbo/port-injected engine can't go more than 7500 miles per change on a off-the-shelf full syn oil.

If your girlfriend is a pretty sedate driver, she needs to channel Daytona for a tank or two to get the rings seated. These modern engines need to be broken in with a controlled lead foot to make best power and fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Modern oil and water-cooled turbos should hold up for quite a long time. 200-250k miles would be my guess. That's assuming regular oil changes using a quality oil. Can't skimp on the oil or run longer, as turbos are not tolerant of neglect.

Is the VW recommended oil a full synthetic? And, how large is the sump? A 6-liter sump should have little to no issue going 10k miles. A 4 liter sump will very probably have issues going that long, even with a full syn oil. Only way to tell if 10k is too long is to pull a sample and have it analyzed. My Chevy's turbo/port-injected engine can't go more than 7500 miles per change on a off-the-shelf full syn oil.

If your girlfriend is a pretty sedate driver, she needs to channel Daytona for a tank or two to get the rings seated. These modern engines need to be broken in with a controlled lead foot to make best power and fuel economy.

I do believe it is a 6 quart sump. It takes either a 5w30 or 5w40 VW 502.0 approved oil.

I cant answer your questions but I am interested in this too. I test drove a Golf with this engine and I liked it a lot! Very good power and torque.

This is a for all practical purposes a completely new engine as is the 2.0L, It is a Generation 3 EA888. I also believe it is a 5sp auto. I would really like to have seen the 7speed DSG behind this motor.

There have been issues with oil use from new, that VW claims are worsened by early changes of the factory fill. They seem to settle in around 5-10,000 miles.

10,000 will be no problem for the engine and you should use a VW approved oil. If your dealer is convenient they will usually top up the oil free of charge and hassle.

See also:

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/beetle-turbo-and-jetta-gli-to-get-new-2-0t-with-210hp/

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-...n-silao-mexico/

Last edited:
The newest 1.8T is an all-new design and shares very little with the former 2.0 TSI engine. The engine designation is EA888 (former being EA113) and coded either a BYT or a BZB, depending upon whether it's going to be longitudinally or transversely installed. These codes will be modified as production years compound. The EA888 is offered in both 1.8l and 2.0l displacements but they are considerably different from the previous 2.0l turbo. (Golf R gets the EA888 2.0 liter producing nearly 300 HP).

The engine is a pretty neat design but because it is all new (shares only the underside piston oilers with previous engines) reliability data isn't forthcoming.

Where you'll see issues (IF you see issues) will be the turbocharger. For longevity teach your girlfriend to always be gentle on the car until it's warm and always allow for a brief cool-down period after use. I personally feel that the compressors provided are a bit too 'cost conscious' for this design.

Best O'luck to you and I hope that you have great success with this car.

Greg, if you really loved her you would not have let her buy a VW.

I'm kidding, of course, but did you try to steer her toward a new Accord?

I like everything about VW, especially the new GTI, but their reliability. It is what ultimately would keep me from buying one.

Turbo problems ?
I bought my old design 1.8T new in early '99 and ran it on synthetic for all of its life and the turbo never gave a problem ?
Most VW problems are Owner problems .... you know the type .... they know better than the engineers !

Different engine but my 2003 1.8T is using original turbo and engine has 200k miles on it. Keep an eye out for varnish when looking down the oil fill hole. If you see it forming, reduce OCI.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Different engine but my 2003 1.8T is using original turbo and engine has 200k miles on it. Keep an eye out for varnish when looking down the oil fill hole. If you see it forming, reduce OCI.

What oil and OCI have you used?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: JAG

What oil and OCI have you used?

It's mostly been a frustratingly short OCI of around 3700 miles with synthetics of appropriate viscosity grades (HTHS in the mid to high 3s). Early on I used 5k miles as recommended but varnish would grow. Even with the short OCIs, the PCV system gets filled with hard and sticky deposits. Otherwise it's been a great engine.

As with any turbocharged engine, synthetic is a necessity. Do not skimp and don't worry so much about 502 as it is an age old spec.

Be more concerned with how it is driven. Any sign of severe service driving and I'd cut the factory OCI in half.

Oil Change Kits at ECS

Above are some other oils you won't find on the shelve at the auto parts store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back