Pennzoil growing in factory fills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
And many parts of the world still spec' 20W-50 as an option so what is your point?
If you want to use an oil that clearly saps power, uses more fuel with zero lubrication benefits be my guest.

You are shooting at the messenger. I didn't make the specs Toyota did! These are not optional viscosities to 0w20 they are regular spec.
Are you saying Toyota doesn't realize the benefits of their own TGMO 0w20 for their cars sold in Germany where gasoline is $8 a gallon?

The point is the engines still get good fuel economy, last just as long, are able to sustain high rpm operation for long periods and show no loss of power from the rated spec.
In other words the engine could care less unless the oil is too thin for high speed operation.
Usually when 10w60 is back spec'd its because engines have been scattering their parts all over creation.

Cars in the USA don't drive at Autobahn speeds for hours on end. Maybe Toyota estimated warranty claims in Germany using 0W20 and it thought it wasn't worth the risk. That might also shed some light for people tracking cars using thin oils, food for thought.

At the very least it should shatter the myth that 0W20 is provided for the "ultimate" in engine protection, as some on this board would posit.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I appreciate your a huge M1 fan

I am sure I am not the only one on the board finding that statement, made by you, amusing in light of the time spent on this board extolling the virtues of TGMO
smirk.gif
You are probably the world's largest TGMO fan. I likely wouldn't be out of line in stating that you regard it more highly than even Toyota does. You certainly spend more time marketing it.

but it is just one company and they make their own base oils.

Yes, and they also make TGMO. They are also probably the largest seller of 0w-20 PCMO's, so the fact that they are one company, in that light, makes them a bit more relevant.

Whether it costs them more to make AFE or TGMO we don't know

You just stated:

But make no mistake, the only reason SOPUS and most other aftermarket 0W-20 formulators have chosen not to go the very high VI route is because it's cheaper not to.

So which is it? A moment ago you stated that it is cheaper. Now you don't KNOW it is cheaper. But you THINK it is cheaper. And it probably IS cheaper to make the Group III 0w-20's than it is to make TGMO. It is also likely cheaper to make those same oils than it is to make AFE 0w-20 and especially EP 0w-20, which again, are probably more expensive to make than TGMO due to the base oils used.

The point is that this statement gets tossed around like TGMO costs some obscene amount of money to formulate and that's why other companies, including XOM, don't do it. But XOM spends even MORE money using expensive base oils in both of their 0w-20 products, which, instead of improving a the difference between a couple of warm temp viscosity numbers on paper actually means a genuine performance advantage in extremely cold temperatures.

but the rest of market is predominately GP III based and to make a high VI oil requires using a 4cSt base oil and very high VI PMA VIIs. To have an acceptable Noack GP III+ needs to be used.
It is simply easier as cheaper to use a heavier base oil and cheaper conventional polymer VIIs which is how most 0W-20 are formulated.

I'm sure you aren't intimately familiar with the formulation of all the 0w-20's on the market so this is an educated assumption with regards to formulation which you are stating as fact.

And with the Shell Helix 0W-20 race oil you should be looking at the KV40 spec' of 35cSt which is way lower than the 45.8cSt of M1 and is in the same league as TGMO (36-37cSt), MGMO 35cSt and Sustina 0W-20 32.7cSt. You do remember that the KV100 spec' of an oil is largely affected by it's chemistry. These are all nominal HTHSV 2.6-2.7cP oils so the KV40 spec' gives a better indication of the degree of viscosity change with temperature.

Yes, and the insanely low temperature performance of an oil is also affected by its chemistry, particularly base oil performance, which is why M1 EP and AFE are pretty much "the best there is" in this area. VI tells you part of the story, CCS and MRV tell us another part. Whether your concern is how your oil performs in typical Canadian summer temps (VI) or Edmonton/Winnipeg winters (CCS/MRV) is where there seems to be some disparity. I have no use for a 0w-20 race oil, so by extension I don't care that it has a "sweet VI" of 183. What I DO care about is the fact that we are probably going to see -30C again this winter or colder and at those temperatures the two Mobil products, regardless of the fact that their VI's aren't "stratospheric", are going to perform better. Because they use better base oils. All the fairy dust in the world isn't going to change that fact.

They also happen to have a nice cross-section of manufacturer approvals too.

Congrats on a terrific obfuscation of the question; namely, the reason most 0W-20s are not high VI oils is because it IS cheaper to formulate a 0W-20 if all you're concerned about is meeting the requirements of a 0W-20 grade and have no concern for the other viscosity spec's such as KV40 and V.I..

And considering this thread is about Pennzoil I love how you've worked in your love fest for M1 0W-20. But since your brought it up, yes I am a fan of TGMO 0W-20 (and btw no other TGMO grade) because there is nothing better for the money for a 0W-20 application, specifically a Toyota. Plus the fact that Toyota Canada has chosen to price it very reasonably making it by far the best 0W-20 value in Canada.
But since you've made a big deal about M1's excellent extreme cold performance stat's, temp's most of us including myself have never seen and have no desire to, I would still prefer TGMO since it's a whopping 40% lighter at 0C (32F), a temp' I do routinely see during the winter. So how cold does it have to get before M1 has a relative advantage? I would say the crossover point is around -30C. How did I come up with that temp'? Sustina 0W-20 (a GP III+ oil which is also one of my favorite oils other than it's high price) has an MRV almost on par with M1 but it's CCS is better. It's 50% lighter than M1 at 0C vs only 40% for TGMO. So I think I'm being pretty conservative at pegging the crossover point for TGMO at -30C.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
At the very least it should shatter the myth that 0W20 is provided for the "ultimate" in engine protection, as some on this board would posit.

That's what it looks like to me, but you know the drill.

Quote:
This oil is spec'd for the Toyota 86, BRZ and FR-S sportscars that can see oil temp's exceeding 275F. Wherever the car is exported around the world (including to Australia) the spec'd oil is TGMO 0W-20.

It is not! This is a 0w40 engine in Germany and normal run of the mill Toyota's are 0w40 0w30, 5w30 or even 10w60 (yes 10w60 in a 2013 Toyota), thats a fact. Why?
They have the TGMO 0w20 in stock for the prius hybrid as an alternative for cars that see mostly around town use as in taxi cabs.
Quote:
MARKE: Toyota EU MODELL: GT86, ZN6 (2012 - ) TYP: GT86 2.0 D-4S (2012 - )
Motoröle für Sie
Einsatz:
Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4

I didn't pull this stuff out of my backside its factual information.
[/quote]
Really!
You will excuse my skepticism knowing your heavier is better bias.
So you're suggesting the Toyota doesn't spec' 0W-20 as an option or even "recommend it" as they do in the UK and Australia?

We get a number of European members that post oil recommendation requests for smaller cars that are looking for which 30 or 40 grade oil they should run and when asked what's actually recommended in the manual it's 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 5W-40 etc.
So yes it would be interesting to see what's actually recommended in the German version of the Toyota GT86 drivers handbook.

The fact remains, auto manufacturers are moving to lighter oils worldwide including Germany.
And for those that don't already know BMW has already approved the following German made 0W-20 for use in the 245 HP N20 turbo engines:

http://www.generaloils.net/2014-02-12_AIS-InfoFuchs_TITAN-GT1-EVO-0W-20_EN.PDF

I never meant for it to get so outta whack when I made this tread,just to inform about pennzoils new oem partnership.everyone has there ideas and are very knowledgeable,but life is short to try to convince others of your own convictions of what is the best.we all love our cars and want nothing but the best for them myself included.but for this tread to be going on, 6 pages on what looks like the battle of the oil wars,seems kinda childish.respect each other and move on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bloodknights
I never meant for it to get so outta whack when I made this tread,just to inform about pennzoils new oem partnership.everyone has there ideas and are very knowledgeable,but life is short to try to convince others of your own convictions of what is the best.we all love our cars and want nothing but the best for them myself included.but for this tread to be going on, 6 pages on what looks like the battle of the oil wars,seems kinda childish.respect each other and move on.

You have no idea...
banana2.gif

Congrats on a terrific obfuscation of the question; namely, the reason most 0W-20s are not high VI oils is because it IS cheaper to formulate a 0W-20 if all you're concerned about is meeting the requirements of a 0W-20 grade and have no concern for the other viscosity spec's such as KV40 and V.I..

I'm sure they are not "only" concerned about meeting the 0w-20 grade specs. They are likely concerned with also meeting the various manufacturer approval parameters too, something that isn't an issue with TGMO.....
wink.gif

And considering this thread is about Pennzoil I love how you've worked in your love fest for M1 0W-20. But since your brought it up, yes I am a fan of TGMO 0W-20 (and btw no other TGMO grade) *deleted irrelevant TGMO sales pitch*

LMAO!!! POT MEET KETTLE!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3532938/Re:_Pennzoil_growing_in_factor#Post3532938

You just had to start pandering the virtues of TGMO... I brought Mobil into the mix BECAUSE you dragged TGMO into this thread.... A thread, that you stated, is about Pennzoil. So who has worked in who's love fest here sir?

But since you've made a big deal about M1's excellent extreme cold performance stat's, temp's most of us including myself have never seen and have no desire to, I would still prefer TGMO since it's a whopping 40% lighter at 0C (32F), a temp' I do routinely see during the winter. So how cold does it have to get before M1 has a relative advantage? I would say the crossover point is around -30C. How did I come up with that temp'? Sustina 0W-20 (a GP III+ oil which is also one of my favorite oils other than it's high price) has an MRV almost on par with M1 but it's CCS is better. It's 50% lighter than M1 at 0C vs only 40% for TGMO. So I think I'm being pretty conservative at pegging the crossover point for TGMO at -30C.

1. I'm guessing these 0C figures you are citing are calculated using a visc calc right?
smirk.gif
And a "whopping" calculated 40% (not measured) lighter than an oil that it is already lighter than....?

2. And we "routinely" see 0C during the winter? No. We routinely see well below 0C here. We've already started seeing 0C, we saw it on the weekend and we are almost a month away from December. We live in the same province guy, the GTA isn't the Bahamas. The average temperature in the GTA for December last year was -4C with a high of 16C and a low of -18C. There were twelve days with temperatures below -10C. January averaged -9C with a high of 8C and a low of -24C. There were 19 days when the temperature was below -10C. There were 8 days where it was -20C or colder. February only saw a high of 1C and a low of -21C. There were 20 days where it was below -10C. There were 15 days where it was -15C or colder.

3. We don't know what the CCS is for M1 EP 0w-20 or AFE 0w-20, so how did you determine that Sustina's is "better"?

4. Your crossover point is completely contrived nonsense because you are basing it on calculations based on other calculations that assume a viscosity plot that supports your position here.

We KNOW that at -40C, the Mobil 1 product has better cold flow characteristics. And we KNOW based on other PDS's that CCS and MRV scale up/down at least to -20C (based on that last PDS we discussed) by roughly double/half in 5C increments. The problem of course is that the numbers derived using that method don't support your position.

I could care less if you think you are being conservative or not. You have ZERO DATA regarding TGMO's cold temperature performance being close to that of the Mobil 1 products. What you have are "feelings" and "theories" and calculations based on formulas we already know are not accurate. You are so caught up in your VI love fest that you will say anything to support the sacred cow that is TGMO, even if it is baseless fantasy.

BTW, in case you missed the boat, there is now a SOPUS 0w-40 that beats the pants of M1 0w-40 in cold temp performance (and has a better MRV than AFE 0w-30!):
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_GTDS_Pennzoil_Platinum_Euro_SAE_0W-40_Full_Synthetic_Motor_Oil_%28SN_A3_B4_+_OEMS%29_%28en%29_TDS.pdf

CCS @ -35C of 5,960cP
MRV @ -40C of 13,200cP

And I didn't even need to "feel" or "conservatively calculate" those numbers because SOPUS has them all neat and tidy on a PDS in the form of real data!! But of course its VI is lower than M1 0w-40.......
wink.gif

See, that's the difference here. When I look at data that clearly supports something being better than something else, regardless of whether I'm a fan of the product or not, I'm not going to sit there and argue feelings and "calculations" based on data I know doesn't really support them. I'm a BIG fan of M1 0w-40, but as it stands, the SOPUS product is obviously superior, even though it has a slightly lower VI. It is thinner at all temps that we have data for. Though it is very close in visc to the M1 product at 40/100C. It uses better base oils.

It is a 0w40 engine not matter how much you don't like it. Some Toyota's run 5w30, 0w30, 0w40, 5w40 10w60.
What exactly is your problem, the TGMO 0w20 isn't good enough for their conditions, deal with that. TGMO is by no stretch of anyone (except maybe yours) imagination the best engine oil for anything under all conditions.

What are you are going to say when the German market BMW engine used 5w30? Its going to no doubt about it.
Over 60 Toyota cars from dot to 2014 are Toyota approved for 10w60. Some as first choice and some as an alternative. 0w20 is not an alternative except for hybrids under specific operating conditions.

I am bringing some Castrol edge 10w60 with me next time and pour it into a US spec 0w20 Honda or Toyota just for laughs.
crackmeup2.gif

With VVT and in the middle of winter. Anybody bet there will be no problems.

Last edited:
. I brought Mobil into the mix BECAUSE you dragged TGMO into this thread.... A thread, that you stated, is about Pennzoil. So who has worked in who's love fest here sir?

The OP brought TGMO into this thread if you took the time to read his posts.

3. We don't know what the CCS is for M1 EP 0w-20 or AFE 0w-20, so how did you determine that Sustina's is "better"?

The CCS @-35C for AFE is 4,110cP
The CCS @-35C for Sustina is 3,550cP

At the OP's request I'm done with this thread.

The OP brought TGMO into this thread if you took the time to read his posts.

He mentioned it in passing. You pounced on it and had to extol its virtues, which was what I replied to.

Quote:

The CCS @-35C for AFE is 4,110cP
The CCS @-35C for Sustina is 3,550cP

At the OP's request I'm done with this thread.

Source? It isn't on any of the current PDS's for AFE. You'll notice I cited a link to the PDS for the new SOPUS product when I presented some data. Would be nice if you did the same. Particularly given the tendency for these things to change.

Thats the way it goes here. If you don't/wont worship at the TGMO 0w20 alter you are not well informed and basically a mindless moron living under a rock.
This gives others a case of the arse big time.

Thats the way it goes here. If you don't/wont worship at the TGMO 0w20 alter you are not well informed and basically a mindless moron living under a rock.
This gives others a case of the arse big time.

I'm starting to notice that if your not on board with TGMO then there's something wrong with u,even if thats not the intension of others but it seems to be implied like it though.and if it always leads to fights and arguments like this when discussing anything oil related,then sorry to say this site is not worth hanging out anymore if we can't share ideas without jumping all over someone for having a different of opinion .

I understand where you coming from. Fact is there is nothing wrong with TGMO, in fact its a dam good oil but so is Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Amsoil, Castrol and a long lost of others.

Not one of them is the be all and end all for every situation. IMHO you need to choose the oil that meets the specs and will work best in the conditions and engine it will be used in.
I think my take on this is pretty reasonable as is that of many other members.

Last edited:
I am bringing some Castrol edge 10w60 with me next time and pour it into a US spec 0w20 Honda or Toyota just for laughs.
crackmeup2.gif

With VVT and in the middle of winter. Anybody bet there will be no problems.

We went through this in the new gen Hemis back in 05 as everyone freaked out over MDS.

The fact is it operates with almost any oil imaginable. Anything from 20w all the way out to 50w is well documented for Hemi owners. MDS functions just fine no matter what oil you use.

I imagine it is the same for most engines that are sold worldwide...

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Trav,
the VI tells you little to nothing about the extreme cold performance (the "W" part) of any oil.

Discussion on here a week or so back on how the viscosity calculators don't work below freezing, let alone give you an indicator of "W" performance.

I missed those posts,but I do remember the thread.
And I find that very interesting that once an oil goes below freezing its possible that it thickens up to twice as much every 5 degrees the temp drops.
Not that it means much but the co-op 0w-40 says pao right on the label,it's a dual rated diesel oil and iirc the pour point was something rediculous like -65c.
That in itself I find fascinating. Here's an oil that's supposed to be thick yet it has better pour point than some 20 and 30 grades.
And it's cheap. A 5 litre,not quart jug isn't ever above 28 bucks,and you can buy pails of it.
I'm trying to keep an open mind when it comes to thin oils but when I see good winter pumpability from a thicker grade oil I have a tough time justifying thin.
I
Sure it's not M1 0w-40 but it doesn't command the elevated price either.
Just rambling guys.......

Good points Clevy. Reading some of these threads you're lead to believe that an oil with a high VI is by default more costly to make, and superior to its competition. I find that interesting since none of us really know the cost to produce any of the oils we discuss. I also find it amusing that no one knows the percentage of PAO, or any of the other components like the ad pack, etc, etc. that go into our favorite oils. So to say TGMO is more expensive to make, or is superior than Mobil 1, PP, PU or anything else for that matter is based on opinion and nothing else.

When the comments about TGMO are backed up with facts and not bias based opinions maybe more of us will listen and believe. Until then these discussions will most likely continue down the same path.

Pennzoil has taken bmw from castrol as oem factory fill,even has a brand new commercial about it.
http://youtu.be/EYeTOkVr914.

This is obviously a commercial decision having nothing to do with oil quality.
BP can formulate anything that RDS or XOM can.
For all we know, it was BP that pulled the plug on BMW.
RDS may have been able to offer a significant cost advantage given its access to huge quantities of excellent and cheap GTL basestock.
Certainly RDS will be making money on this deal. It's a commercial enterprise and while it might be willing to give up a little coin to be able to advertise that it supplies the factory fill for Ferrari, it wouldn't do so for a volume producer like BMW.
I'll venture into the OT second topic of this thread and note that I intend to use TGMO as the winter fill for the '12 Accord, mainly because I wanted to try it and bought some off CL at a very favorable price.
I doubt that we'll be able to tell the difference between TGMO, HGMO or the PP 0W-20 the car had for its first oil change.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Chrysler used to be in bed with Mobil. Ford used to be in bed with BP. Now Mobil1 doesn't even meet Chrysler's spec.

What clevy said. I doubt the Mobil 1 oil that was on caps of the previous SRT motors suddenly will seize your new (excellent) 3.6L Pentastar...

I know it won't, and I have used it. I was just stating a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back