Cleaning Chevy 3.9 PCV valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Uplander with the 3.9 V6 is consuming about 1/5 Qt of oil per OCI. I would like to address the PCV valve, but I've recently learned its built into/ riveted into the valve cover.
Has anyone ever successfully cleaned an integral PCV valve without removing the valve cover?

I've successfully removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the one time remove only PCV valve on my Vulcan Taurus.

...its doable. Pull the valve cover, and soak a can of TB cleaner through it both ways. Let dry and R&R.

The Uplander in my sig consumes about a quart per OCI, which are usually 3500-4000 miles. I would like to change the PCV valve on ours too, it whistles when accelerating, and I wonder if it has a role in the oil consumption its having. Does anybody know where it is located on the 3.5?

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I've successfully removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the one time remove only PCV valve on my Vulcan Taurus.
...its doable. Pull the valve cover, and soak a can of TB cleaner through it both ways. Let dry and R&R.

Pulling the rear valve cover on a V6 van is not something I want to do with my limited free time.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
1/5 a quart of oil? That hardly qualifies as a problem.

This. And you laughed at the guy who says he removed his to soak it. If you want results you might need to put in some actual work.

Is the PCV valve permanently attached to the valve cover?

Replacing the PCV valve means replacing the valve cover?

You gotta be kiddin' me.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Is the PCV valve permanently attached to the valve cover?

Replacing the PCV valve means replacing the valve cover?

You gotta be kiddin' me.

This is exactly what I mean. I did not laugh at anyone, but half a quart is not reason enough to pull a valve cover and possibly manifold.

I may just try spraying some brake cleaner down the tube before changing oil though.

This is the first I've heard of this type pcv system. Found on another site:

Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) Valve Replacement

Removal Procedure

Important: The positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve is not removable from the valve rocker arm cover. The PCV valve and rocker arm cover must be replaced as an assembly. Remove the left valve rocker arm cover.

Important: If the PCV valve is not defective it may be possible to clean the valve rather than replacing the rocker arm cover. Remove the PCV baffle.

Remove the screws (1) from the PCV baffle.
Clean the PCV valve (3).
If the PCV valve is defective or cannot be effectively cleaned the valve cover (4) must be replaced.

Installation Procedure

If the PCV valve was cleaned:

Install the PCV baffle (2).
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Install the PCV baffle screws (1).

Tighten the screws to 6 Nm (53 inch lbs.) .

I think I'd pour a few ounces kerosene down the tube and let it sit overnight. Start it outside 'caus its gonna smoke like crazy for a few minutes. Could use Kreen but I wouldn't let it sit long. Either way be sure to change the oil immediately following to avoid dilution. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back