Fumoto drain valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have had them in our fleet trucks since the 80's, and they work great on our roots type blowers and CAT water pumps to facilitate oil changes without having to remove other components.

But in our engines we found two specific examples of sludgy slime on the bottom of the oil pans after draining with a Fumoto, caused by leaving the last bit in the pan. The factory plug gives a fast, flushing drain unlike the controlled slow flow of the much smaller Fumoto.

Pulled them ages ago. No real advantage and possible issues. Not in my fleet anymore...

Its common in boat engines (Mercruiser) to pump out the oil through the dipstick as often there is no easy way to get to the drain plug in the bilge. And you have little control about the tilt of the engine.

Boat owners assume the few ounces left in the engine are no big deal.

I would assume a Fumoto valve would leave even less oil in the drain pan vs pumping it out.

Originally Posted by BHopkins
Originally Posted by tinmanSC
I have several of these too. I've switched over to the EZ-Drain versions for new purchases, I think they have a little better quality. But I'm not going to switch out the fumotos that I have. They do the job. I agree with Icecube about positioning.

What in particular do you like about the EZ-Drain? I'm very curious because, judging from what I saw on their website, I was less than impressed.

The idea of nickel plating was a big turnoff. It seems all too possible that the nickel plating could eventually flake off, and get pumped through the engine. Also, I wasn't too excited about the o-ring seal, vs a gasket. It seems the o-ring would not be as forgiving as the gasket, when trying to position the valve handle where it is most convenient. Lastly, I'm not too keen on having to screw on the hose end, instead of simply snapping it on, like the nylon Fumoto hose end does. It seems likely that the female threads would get filled with debris, and make installation of the hose end difficult. One of the conveniences of the Fumoto valve is eliminating the risk of damaging threads. The EZ-drain loses that convenience. If the hose end is left on full time, then the length has been increased, and the risk of damage is increased.

But I've never seen an EZ-valve in person. I'm anxious to hear what you find better about them.

To update an old thread, in case there's anyone still on the fence.

I researched both and have an EZ valve waiting for the next oil change in my Tacoma. The finish is good and not a worry, I worked around 35 years in chemical plants and quality nickel will not be a problem. The threads on the EZ are designed to be even or nearly so with the top edge of the fill hole gusset. If you look at oil pans they have a gusseted hole in a thin metal pan which sticks up into the pan. The EZ also has a larger bore for faster drains. Also, the hose adapter is kept on the hose and there is a metal threaded dust cap you put on the valve to keep debri out.
That's my take on EZ so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back