Barium 0

Sus Vis @ 210 56.9

Cst vis @ 100 9.32

Flash 410

Fuel
Antifreeze 0

Water 0

Insolubles 0.1

This was my first UOA. This truck gets very little use (2010 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner extended cab) and I've owned it since new in November of 2009. It travels to Costco every other month, camping once a year towing a trailer, and the remainder are short trips to the regular store (1 mile) or frequent trips backing out of the garage to get the mower out. I change the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage, as it may only have 1200 or so miles in that time frame. I usually use M1 5/30, but used M1 10/30 this time because it was really hot during my camping trip (100+) and I was towing a heavy trailer up some steep grades. The comments from Blackstone mentioned excess Copper, as average was 5. Oil filter was a Napa Gold and the air filter was a Napa filter as well.

I don't use my F150 all that much anymore. Feel safe with a yearly OCI and a M1 product.

From BITOG ....

Copper
Copper is widely used due to its high ductility and thermal conductivity. It is mainly utilized in bushings and bearings such as: crankshaft journal bearings, connecting rod bearings, camshaft bushings, piston wrist pin bushings, thrust washers, and even heat exchangers (oil coolers).

References:
Stark, J. (n.d.). Spectrometry: The Marvel Of The Lab. Retrieved April 6, 2011, from Blackstone Labs: Link
What Is Oil Analysis? (n.d.). Retrieved April 6, 2011, from Bob Is The Oil Guy: Link
Sources Of Wear Metals In Oil Analysis. (n.d.). Retrieved April 6, 2011, from Bently Tribology Services: Link

If it's not from the oil cooler, it's from the bearings. Probably has a tow package, and possibly from the oil cooler. If it's from the oil cooler it wouldn't be a wear metal and would be a non issue.

Magnesium 666

Your truck has been cursed, thats why the copper is high. Joking aside, thats obviously not in the normal range, it could be from towing and it was hard on the bearings. But if you were driving like a sane person I dont see why that would occur. Do you let it warm up before driving hard? I would do another 6 month interval, with 5w30 and resample.

Last edited:
Copper and no lead? Doubtful it's bearings. Probably a cooler or line somewhere still washing out - especially with only 17k miles. Aren't newer cars moving from copper-lead bearings to aluminum-silicone or other alloys?

bigt61:

I was looking at it the same way, as there was no lead. I have no clue as whether or not the bearings are a formulation of lead or some other materials. The truck does have the tow package w/oil cooler and the one time a year I do tow, I drive like Miss Daisy and utilize the transmission. The trailer was probably 4K lbs max and ascent/descent was approximately 5K feet. All of this with an ambient air temp of 100+.

I'll take another sample this Spring and see what's going on. Might just suck some out at 6 mo and judge it from there. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back