When to use Autotrak vs 4hi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Hello,

Going to be using the Tahoe today, in our 1st storm. When exactly is the optimal time to be using the Autotrak function?

As I understand it, 4 wheel drive will automatically kick in/out, when needed. In conditions like today (6-12" expected), can you run all day with it on, without causing system issues? Knowing, roads aren't all that bad right now.

Alternatively, can you actually run 4 high in conditions that vary between snow covered and cleared?

I guess one thing I am driving at is this - how 'hard' is the Autotrak function on the drivetrain, in varying conditions; and is 4 hi ok under these same circumstances?

I wouldn't use the auto 4 wheel drive. I've seen it eat quite a few transfer cases. If you need 4 wheel drive put it in 4 high. You can change on the fly. I would it at lower speed of course. When you don't need 4 wheel anymore just throw it back in 2 high. I wouldn't switch it back and forth a lot, just use common sense on whether or not you actually need it in 4 high.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is actually why I asked the question. I had heard somewhere that the Auto function was rough on the transfer case...

Can someone chime in with their own experiences?

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
I wouldn't use the auto 4 wheel drive. I've seen it eat quite a few transfer cases. If you need 4 wheel drive put it in 4 high. You can change on the fly. I would it at lower speed of course. When you don't need 4 wheel anymore just throw it back in 2 high. I wouldn't switch it back and forth a lot, just use common sense on whether or not you actually need it in 4 high.

The the "automatic" mode is not intended to be a set-it-and-forget-it kind of thing?

We had a '96 Grand Cherokee that had AUTO, 4-HI, N, and 4-LO. There was no 2WD only. Different transfer case for sure, but it surprises me that a mode that was presumably used to sell the vehicle (automatic) will damage it.

Too bad "auto" isn't just unlocking/enabling a diff inside the transfer case. Seems like there were a few machines built with open diffs in the transfer case, with "lock" being a setting when the going got real bad.

Actually, if anything is rough, I wonder if the auto setting here is just banging between open and locked?

I'm pretty sure if the AutoTrac detects slippage for an extended period of time it locks the center diff (4WD-HI) so it doesn't burn up.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Different transfer case for sure, but it surprises me that a mode that was presumably used to sell the vehicle (automatic) will damage it.

You're correct in being surprised

Using the Autotrak won't damage anything.

I have a 2005 Silverado with said transfer case. I drive off road and on steep hills every weekend. The truck has almost 140k miles right now. Here's the skinny: auto track works great on flat ground with mud or snow or ice. In AUTO it allows you to corner better than 4H and kicks in when you need it. In steep hills I use 4H, the AUTO function allows too much slip while climbing and when it kicks in hard it causes some sliding and pulling when you are in a critical situation.

Ok. Appreciate feedback. It was fun watching the inevitable follies on the road, that ensues during our first storm.

I ended up running around in 4hi, but in the future, will probably use the Auto function in like conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back