What does 10,000hp cost ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, an amazingly expensive car to campaign. Just goes to show you how much sponsorship plays a role, as not too many privateers can stomach those numbers...

I have a Friend who used to build the engines for a Top Fuel Hydro Drag boat and it is pricey. The manufacture he said give great deals to the pro teams [win on Sunday sell your parts on Monday so to say] and $ponsers are necessary.

Whoa...$200,000 for one minute of operation! I'd like 45 seconds worth to pay off my house, please.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Way back when....

I imagine the racing was more exciting back then too. Its neat and all that the cars these days run 10k hp, but I think it would be more of a spectator sport if the cars ran a bit slower with less sticky tires to make the driver drive the whole track.
The odd time I watch NHRA, its seems too many races are over in the first 300' or less.

Maybe they should just install a rail down the track and move the driver from the cockpit to a computer terminal. It would be safer and the teams could really "tilt the can" and go after it. After all the sponsor is paying the bills and wants a good show. Why risk the driver when there would be so much more fun this way.

Lots of detail missed (I'm sure it wasn't volunteered) and the specs that were given, are mostly understated.

15k would be a fairly cheap cost per run.

One interesting piece of information, is that exhaust scavenging is now
present in supercharged engines, and ten years ago it didn't exist.

It would be hard to get it wrong with a late burning fuel like nitro
scavenging off of the exhaust inertia.

And bending exhaust valves trying to open them early against all that pressure.

I wonder what the spark plug gap is with those MSD arc-welders providing the amps?

Originally Posted By: used_0il

I wonder what the spark plug gap is with those MSD arc-welders providing the amps?

There are various theories in Blown Fuel engine tuning. As such where the plug gap is set, will vary amongst tuners, and they're not likely to share that info. I will say that the gap is often much wider at the end of a pass.

The narrator mentioned when a cylinder drops the boost goes up a couple of psi
which leans the engine, sometimes resulting in failure.

The hemi head is very good at creating a window for scavenging when both valves are open.

The head design also allows for a very large exhaust valve.

So far, common knowledge.

Nitro-methane is late burning, it takes heat to release the oxygen in the fuel.

The ignition timing would have to be quite far advanced for the peak cylinder pressure
to occur early enough to do some work.

The bent exhaust valves and flames indicate the cylinder pressure is very high
and the fuel still burning when the exhaust valve is opened.

If blown and injected fuel engines are being scavenged from the exhaust inertia
and not from timed reflection, an early exhaust valve opening point would be
counter-productive.

I wonder if we will see a four into one exhaust system on these engines to scavenge
dropped cylinders any time soon?

If I repeated what the spark plug gaps were last I heard, you wouldn't believe it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: used_0il

If I repeated what the spark plug gaps were last I heard, you wouldn't believe it.

I've been working on TF/D's for years.

wink.gif

You must love the smell of brake-kleen at 3am.

Far less glamorous job than most people imagine.

Non stop work from Thursday noon to Sunday midnight.

I love the smell of nitro-methane in the mourning...smells like...

tear-gas

It's A LOT of work and travel, all the time. Not just on race weekends. You need to love it, or you'll get burned out quickly.

As for smelling like brake cleaner, well, that depends on what your job is on the team.

When I was starting out on an underfunded privateer team, servicing cylinder heads into the wee hours of the morning, wasn't unheard of. Machining blower rotors at 2:00 am, also not unheard of. Assembling clutch packs well after midnight, also not unheard of. Etc., etc.

Interpreting the data from the Data-logger, and determining the appropriate setup of the car, you miss out on your hands smelling of brake cleaner.

I do it because there is simply nothing else like it.

The Finals in Pomona are a couple days away.

Or you could imagine that the spark plug is like a wire feed welder.

The gap is likely more at the end of the burn-out than at the start of it.

The gap is likely more at the end of the run than at the tree.

Now go back to my 1st post.

MSD arc welders supplying the "amps".

Try volts vs gap vs cylinder pressure.

Now try and light alcohol with a spark from a torch striker.

(don't try that with gasoline)

Now light the alcohol with a match.

Kind of old tech isn't it?

Originally Posted By: flacoman
I thought the plug's ground straps were burned/blown off during the pass and the engine ran as a glow plug diesel from that point on.
Usually at the boat drags unless they have changed you can view the crews rebuilding the engines between the matches they aren't pretty.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Whoa...$200,000 for one minute of operation! I'd like 45 seconds worth to pay off my house, please.
I would imagine it is better than sex and lasts longer as well..

The 200k per minute is that because the race only lasts 5 seconds.

Cost per mile.
Cost per crank rotation.
Miles to the gallon or gallons to the mile.

All of the above is just fun with statistics.

The annual team budget/number of runs=200k min

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back