Black Honda Restoration - 3-step paint correction

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car belongs to a co-worker of mine – her concern was that the paint was very “swirled-up.”

Needless to say, you could see the swirls in the shade. Yes, it was that bad. The before and 50/50 shots below sorta tell the story.

The car was booked for a correction and coating - and it received 3-steps of paint correction. I rarely need to resort to 3-steps, but the original finish was so soft than it took more that two steps of refinement in order to remove all of the DA haze and to obtain the best finish.

The correction was followed by a single coat of CarPro's CQuartz UK Ceramic Paint Coating. This coating will deliver 18-24 months of protection, and most importantly, will add some resistance against marring and wash swirls.

Products/Processes:

Correction Step = Meguiars M205/DMF6 (original finish), Meguiars M100/DMC6 (repainted areas)
Refining Step = Meguiars D302/DMF6
Final Polishing = Meguiars M205/Buff & Shine Black Pad

The first two steps were done using a Rupes LHR21ES BigFoot, the finishing step was done using a Rupes Duetto.

Prep work consisted of a wash using Meguiars D110, CarPro Iron-X, Nanoskin Fine Grade Mitt and CarPro Spotless.

Total time spent was 15 hours.

Unfortunately, due to the pre-agreed timeline, there were some waterspotted areas that I was not able to fully fix (r/f and r/r doors) – those will need to be fixed at a later date.

Overall, I think the finish was restored to a level that she did not expect. When I returned the vehicle, I gave her a grit-guard, a sample of Optimum No Rinse, a new mitt and new drying towel to hopefully encourage the start of a better wash regimen.

Before:

by thecritic89, on Flickr

50/50 shot:

DSC_1456 by thecritic89, on Flickr

This is a picture of the severe micro-marring and DA haze that was leftover from the compounding step. The original Honda Nighthawk Black Pearl finish was very very soft:

by thecritic89, on Flickr

Completed:

DSC_1469 by thecritic89, on Flickr

DSC_1470 by thecritic89, on Flickr

DSC_1471 by thecritic89, on Flickr

These last two pictures were taken before the tires were dressed:

DSC_1464 by thecritic89, on Flickr

DSC_1467 by thecritic89, on Flickr

Originally Posted By: The Critic

50/50 shot:

DSC_1456 by thecritic89, on Flickr

Nice work as usual TC. That 50/50 shot reminds me of an E class Merc I did. Afterwards, his girlfriend said to him "your car is dark blue? I thought it was black!"

Looks great. Nice job. Now she'll drive it through a carwash every other week, and it will look the same as "before", by next Spring.

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Looks awesome.

How much would you charge for a non friend's car to have that done ???

I would prefer to be in the $500-$750 range for something like this.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
One of these days you'll start doing the wheel wells. ;-)

Looks great.

I suppose I could shine them up. Quick, where's my bottle of solvent-based silicone tire dressing?
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back