Hardware store chain with no customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's this one hardware store chain in California that has steadily been getting fewer and fewer customers. It's gotten to the point now that if you drive onto their parking lot, you'd swear they were closed. You get out of your car and walk into the store, you will see all the cashiers and store clerks standing around nervously because they don't know what to do; there's no customers in the store to wait on. It has been like that every time I've walked into the store for the better part of the past year. In the meantime, the other two large home center stores are bustling with business. It amazes me how a business can afford to keep their doors open when there's no revenue coming in.

Maybe there is, just not when youre there. Why not share the name? Maybe they have corporate accounts or other lines of business?

We have the same thing here. The smaller chain, ACO, is going out of business. The big ones are doing fine. In my neighborhood, Home Depot is doing fine, and Menards just opened up a new place across the street from them.

Originally Posted By: ted s
they wont last

That's what I'm thinking. They wanted to issue me store credit for a return, but I'm thinking what good is store credit when they're not gonna be around much longer?

Well... in Clovis, there is a Home Depot, a Lowes, and a place called Orchard Supply Hardware.

I assume HD and Lowes are doing fine business and Orchard Supply is deader than a cemetery.

HD and Lowes will do fine wherever they go. Menards is a midwest version of HD and Lowes. They do a heck of a business, but I always feel like it's the Harbor Freight of home improvement stores whenever I walk in. Lots of brands that I just associate with "builder grade" quality.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
We have the same thing here. The smaller chain, ACO, is going out of business. The big ones are doing fine. In my neighborhood, Home Depot is doing fine, and Menards just opened up a new place across the street from them.

Not so sure about Lowe's though....Menard's is killing them here....

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Well... in Clovis, there is a Home Depot, a Lowes, and a place called Orchard Supply Hardware.

You missed True Value. lol

Also its interesting that OSH's parent company is Lowes.

Smaller hardware stores can carve out a niche market if they get creative. They need to excel in areas where the big box stores can't/won't compete.

There is a traditional hardware store in a town not all that far away from here-that town also has a Menards and Home Depot. They'll never compete with material such as flooring and lumber-it makes no sense at all for them to even try. They have a great tool/equipment rental business, and offer services and products that they big box stores don't. They are doing quite well despite the competition; rather than continue to do the same thing when the big box stores came to town, they adjusted their business model and continued to be successful. My guess is that your local business is doing things that you don't see, or they are on their way out of business.

^^^ There is one traditional hardware store in town where you can buy high quality items not available at the big home center stores, but the one hardware store chain I'm referring to doesn't have that advantage; they're stocking the same items that the home center stores are stocking, but at higher prices.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
^^^ There is one traditional hardware store in town where you can buy high quality items not available at the big home center stores, but the one hardware store chain I'm referring to doesn't have that advantage; they're stocking the same items that the home center chains are stocking, but at higher prices.

Do they share the same name as an insurance company?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Tumble weeds blowing through the parking lot of most of the ACE hardware stores here.

There was an Ace Hardware by my house that was always empty. And then it was a pet store.

John

We looked at faux Christmas trees and decorations while at a large home center store today. I don't think another store could charge more for these items!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back