Creepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old MAC with a metal frame and six wheels that has finally died.

What is the current state of the art in creepers? I would prefer not to have an adjustable headrest and made in the USA would be a plus. I 'd also like a low profile if possible.

So far I've stumbled across The Bone and Bone-ster:

The Bone-ster

Any other suggestions? I don't mind spending some money for the right tool, particularly if it last another 20 + years, but it is also for home/hobbiest use at this point in my life...

Stay away from todays metal framed creepers (Whiteside,Performance Tool..etc),the caster steel is flimsy and the extreme offset puts too much strain on that gauge of steel.

I have a plastic one that is Mac Branded. Not sure if it US made, but the structure is solid and its much lighter than the steel frame ones. Been a good one for me.

Last edited:
I found a great old wwoden creeper with the Snap On name at an antique shop. Excellent shape and the price was $20! I have had it and used it for about ten years and it is still going strong. Interestingly, I have seen others at antique shops around the eastern US.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

So far I've stumbled across The Bone and Bone-ster:

The Bone-ster

I've had the "Bone-ster" model for 4 or 5 years now. I couldn't be happier with it.

What is wrong with your Mac creeper? Could it be refurbished? If it's just the casters I'm sure you can buy new ones. I've got a Snap-On creeper I bought used about 12 years ago. The only thing that seems to be showing wear is the casters. It's a Christmas miracle I haven't set a car down on it in that time. I lose more magnetic trays that way! Stick them to the rack post then crush them lol

Originally Posted By: cb_13
What is wrong with your Mac creeper? Could it be refurbished? If it's just the casters I'm sure you can buy new ones. I've got a Snap-On creeper I bought used about 12 years ago. The only thing that seems to be showing wear is the casters. It's a Christmas miracle I haven't set a car down on it in that time. I lose more magnetic trays that way! Stick them to the rack post then crush them lol

I should have said sat not set. I will be my own grammar police since it is too late to edit.

I should have said sat not set. I will be my own grammar police since it is too late to edit.

I probably COULD refurbish it, but I'm not going to...

To bring this to a close, I purchased the Bone-ster.

I haven't used it beyond a little test circuit around the garage but it seems nice.

I really wasn't expecting to have to put it together (Maybe I missed that in the videos or description) but kudos to them for not including a cheap Chinese allen key and wrench to assemble it. I mean if you order a creeper, seems reasonable to assume you have tools. The bag of bolts had broken open, but it was boxed with the casters so nothing was lost.

Thanks for the thread. It inspired me to goto Northern Tool and get a few things. I got the NT branded Bone Ster- made in US, a Milton 20-120psi gage from Chicago ( they spell it gage, instead of gauge, for some reason and a Allen set Of SAE Bondhus, also made on home turf.

I've been lying on concrete ever since I started doing my own work. Hopefully the creeper will make things more enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back