Is 140,000 miles alot on Toyota Camry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was contemplating trading in my 2006 Toyota Camry in on a new car. I just rolled 140,000 miles this weekend. My girlfriend asked -- is that alot of miles & how long can you keep it before it starts to nickle & dime you that its not worth keeping? I said, I would have to ask the BITOG crowd. Car runs smooth, inherited it from my Aunt acouple years ago. She bought it brand new, it was her 4th Camry since 1991 & her last. Couple dings here and there from parking lots, small dings but other than that -- its a nice/clean/loaded car. Not even sure what its worth neither??

Last edited by a moderator:
140k miles is high miles. While some will argue and say 200k-300k is high miles cars are engineered to last 150k miles. So according to that yes it is high miles.

But like others said there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get 300k out of most vehicles (if you take care of them and keep up on maintance).

I'd take it for painless dent removal, detail it, change all the fluids and filters and keep it. I'd think 250,000 miles on a cared for Toyota should be pretty easy. Your Toyota has a really neat feature: a free and clear title.

For a Camry it's low. You can easily get 300,000 miles out of the engine and tranny if properly maintained.

If you can do most of the maintenance yourself then you can save a bundle and keep the car a long time.

Regards, JC.

Cars are designed to more than 150k but it usually goes completely trouble free for 150k then some minor things to be done after 150k.

Struts, radiator, belts, water pump, upstream O2 sensor, thermostat, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, coolant (if it is Toyota pink) are likely done. Depend on who you ask they may be wear items or "repair". If you are mechanically incline you can probably do all of them yourself.

But if your car is rusted, probably not worth it.

Last edited:
wifey's 04 camry (2AZ-FE, if you want to know), is now @200k...no major issues at all.

No oil burning, no head bolt failure, no so-called "oil control ring stuck/oil burning issues, nadda.

Just on a regular 5K OCI diet of either PYB 5W30 or Qstate green.

service so far includes an upstream O2 sensor, 1 revised intermediate shaft (steering clunk), numerous brake pad jobs and rotors, air filter and cabin filter replacements, 2 serpentine belts (both Gates) and a set of Monroe OE Spectrum on all 4 corners...of course: tires.

I'm anticipating another 60~100k before we would let it go and find another replacement.

Q.

I can think of a lot of other cars I'd rather be driving, with more or less than 140K.

If it does what you need it to do and isn't showing signs of rust, then you should be able to drive it at least another 140k miles with few problems. You'll probably have to drop a few hundred bucks a year in maintenance and wear-out parts, but it will be cheaper to operate per mile than any new car you can buy.

On the other hand, if you really want a new car and can afford it, then go ahead. Someone else will get good use out of the Camry's remaining life and you can enjoy the new ride.

It really depends on your priorities. If you're worried about something breaking and leaving you stranded, new cars sometimes do that, too. If you're worried about significant repair costs, then balance that against the cost of a newer car and determine what your peace of mind is worth to you. If you want to minimize your expenses over the long haul, keep the Camry until it's rusted to death.

140K miles was a lot back in the 1980s. Not so much now.

Where you live, rust would be the biggest concern. If no or minimal rust, I'd say it probably has a lot of life left.

A lot of people get freaked out by car repairs and it scares them into a newer vehicle. They don't know how to spot and assess problems on their own. By the time the car exhibits symptoms they notice, it needs a lot more work than it did when the pending problem first became an issue. For example, running the car completely out of some fluid because of what was an easily repairable leak, ignoring the CEL because the car "runs fine," neglecting important maintenance, etc. A car with some age and miles will have some issues, it's spotting them in the early stages that keeps them from becoming a major repair or roadside emergency.

140k of city miles is a lot. 140k of highway is not. If it's not rusty underneath I'd think it good for another 50k albeit with the knowledge that it will need a couple grand (most likely) to do that.

140K and eight years isn't that much for any decent car.
You can expect to get to 200K with very little risk of anything expensive breaking.
Every year that you use this Camry is another year where you're not making car payments.
This is a middle-aged car, not an end of life beater.
I'd keep it and see how it goes.
By 200K, you'll know whether to keep it any longer or not.

"past performance is not an indicator of future results..."

"Great car...in 140k miles I've not had to change anything..."

Get it....? The more preventative maintenance done to sustain a car, the farther it will run down the road with still more maintenance...
The farther down the road, the more years it's exposed to elements the more part will need replacing...but that's not the same as repairs...

OP hasn't indicated what maintenance has been done thus far...so the costs of such maintenance may seem a lot at first but it needs to be considered in terms of $/mi.

Such maintenance includes, but not limited to, new plugs, all new fluids, new brake pads, new serpentine belts, new engine mounts and stabilizer links whose rubber bushings fail but can't be replaced by themselves, tires...all of which fail as a result of mere aging and use....

Nothing OP has written suggests any concern for imminent failure...you may tire of an ol' f@rt's car but that's not a condemnation...of you or the car...

Full disclosure...Kitacam's @ 125k miles, needing nothing more than described above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Cars are designed to more than 150k but it usually goes completely trouble free for 150k then some minor things to be done after 150k.

Struts, radiator, belts, water pump, upstream O2 sensor, thermostat, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, coolant (if it is Toyota pink) are likely done. Depend on who you ask they may be wear items or "repair". If you are mechanically incline you can probably do all of them yourself.

But if your car is rusted, probably not worth it.

+1

New Monroe Struts all the way around, new engine mounts replaced in 2012, new iridium spark plugs last year, new serpentine belt replaced in 2011, oil changed every 5000 miles with Pennzoil High Milage until my takeover, new air & cabin filter replaced in 2014, tranny fluid drained & replaced in 2014. New brakes replaced all the way around in 2012, techron fuel injector cleaner ran at the end of the last couple oil changes. Car has had its routine maintnance done since new. I will more than likely keep the Camry at least for another 2 years I have decided. Till then I can save more dimes and go from there. Also just put new tires all the way around and that was $700.00 skins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back